Hip Hop

These are all the hiphop albums I've enjoyed this year personally. My taste is admittedly a bit more commercial than most of you guys
Music to Be Murdered By
Circles
Big Conspiracy
Funeral
The Price of Tea in China
Unlocked
Meet the Woo 2
The Allegory
Ignatius
Eternal Atake Deluxe (lil Uzi V World 2)
Suga
A Written Testimony
ADHD
Lulu
Pray for Paris
No One Mourns the Wicked
High Off Life
The GOAT
Alfredo
H.A.R.D.
RTJ4
Shoot for the Stars, Aim for the Moon
No Pressure
Kings Disease
Living Off Xperience
Detroit 2
From King To A God

Then Non Hip Hop albums released by these artists
Dua Lipa
The Lathums
Fontaines DC
After Hours Weeknd
3.15.20 Gambino

Last edited:
My favorites....

Ka - Descendents of Cain
Freddie Gibbs - Alfredo
Boldy - Price of Tea
Conway - NOMTW
WSG - Pray For Paris
Flee Lord - Pray For the Evil 2
Al.Divino - Facemelt
Jay Worthy/Shlohmo - Til the Morning
Koreatown Oddity - Little Dominiques Nosebleed
MIKE - Weight of the World
Lord Jah Monte Ogbon - Infinite Wisdom
Crimeapple - Jaguar on Palisade

Just realizing looking through this thread, for all the albums I've loved that have come out this year, I haven't listened to much new hip-hop and there isn't a hip-hop album on my potential year-end list as of yet 😕 maybe I just haven't been paying attention?

Tons of good albums mentioned here. Look through some people who's other music tastes you know you line up with and give some a chance!

Tons of good albums mentioned here. Look through some people who's other music tastes you know you line up with and give some a chance!
I will give some of the albums mentioned a go! I know generally what I like when it comes to hip-hop, I much prefer good beats and listening to the flows and inflections of the rapper to just straight barfests. It's not that I don't value lyricism at all but the delivery and production are the big deal breakers for me.

@gaporter I know you are into more experimental in your face production, maybe try Backxwash and Zebra Katz, both put out great albums this year.
I forgot about Backxwash! I need to revisit her album, I remember enjoying it when it came out. Zebra Katz is one I think I saved on Spotify with the intention to listen to and then just never got around to it, will check it out

So Conway on Friday to put my wallet in a chokehold and CRIMEAPPLE on Monday to make it tap out
Facts. Between Westside’s Flygod is An Awesome God 2, Conway, and Crimeapple, this will be one of the more expensive record-buying months in a while. Obviously, that’s considering I’m actually able to cop the Conway 🤞.

Oh, and I also got RSD Bone Thugs and The Weeknd. Sheesh.

Facts. Between Westside’s Flygod is An Awesome God 2, Conway, and Crimeapple, this will be one of the more expensive record-buying months in a while. Obviously, that’s considering I’m actually able to cop the Conway 🤞.

Oh, and I also got RSD Bone Thugs and The Weeknd. Sheesh.
Side note: not spending any money on VMP the last few months makes this a lot more bearable, especially considering the price hikes.

1. Lulu
2. Big Ghost/MAV/Rob Gates - The Dark Side of Nature
3. Knowledge the Pirate/ Cuns - Family Jewels
4/5. Alfredo/Price of Tea
6. LE$ - For the Summer EP
7. Pray for Paris
8. No One Mourns the Wicked
Honorable Mention: Not sure where to place this weird Giallo-horror short-film instrumental project... but I play it a lot... Big Ghost's An Open Tomb... an Empty Casket

Don't have particularly strong feelings on FKTG yet, I like juvenile hell, the Gibbs joint, spurs obviously, and droppin tears. I appreciate the growth but this album makes me miss the grimier Blakk Tape/GOAT/FOOD Conway - that signature Daringer sound maybe?

Last edited:
Pitchfork review
Conway the Machine: From King to a GOD

I listened to it again yesterday and still liked it and want it on vinyl but felt like I'm coming down a little from the initial high I felt from it
I think for the reasons they gave it a 6.9 (commercial appeal, etc) I'd give it a 7.9. I tend to lean toward a more commercial/clean sound and I played it through twice first go around which I rarely do with anything.

This line has me excited "Conway admits that this LP is meant to be somewhat of an appetizer for his forthcoming Shady records debut, God Don’t Make Mistakes, the record that would mark a sea change for both himself and Griselda as a whole."

Back