Home Improvement Thread 2: Electric Redo the Loo

Gonna cross post this here, since it’s related to the kitchen reno:
Showing off my bespoke isolation platform.

View attachment 169809

Took a piece of the butcher block counter we just replaced and cut it a bit bigger than my plinth. Need one more orea from a stability and I think I’m right at the top of weight for three. Anyhow, works like a charm. I haven’t gone jumping through the living room, but my bouncy floors aren’t making it skip or giving me noise from normal footfall. When I get the ores in. I will probably sand it so the surface is a little nicer and reseal it with a matte clear coat.

We bought a 60s condo at end of December and just moved in last weekend.

In those 3 months, we had wood laminate installed throughout, all water-service pipes replaced, mold remediation, electrical work, and asbestos abatement. Almost every person we worked with either made a significant error that delayed their project or the project was just cursed and ballooned into a larger scope.

Once we moved in, within a week, I had a totally unplanned emergency surgery, we found out our cat needs surgery next week, and we found termite droppings falling from our pantry ceiling.

#HomeOwnerLifeRocks

Considering breaking my own rule about not touching plumbing. Anyone ever replace a diverter valve in the tub/shower? It doesn’t seem that hard, but I also feel like a lot of horrible stories start with that statement.

Considering breaking my own rule about not touching plumbing. Anyone ever replace a diverter valve in the tub/shower? It doesn’t seem that hard, but I also feel like a lot of horrible stories start with that statement.
Unfortunately not, but our recently renovated bathroom had a sizable $ chunk cut out for plumbing. All we were doing was replacing the tub. Not moving the shower head or faucet combo. But they were up there for nearly 8 hours and sounded like a goddamn demolition derby and the tub had already been removed by someone else.

Moral of the story: plumbers know something

If you mean simply replacing the actual diverter cartridge, then yes, if you mean actually welding in a entire new diverter system, fuck no.

The cartridge is easy as hell though. Old one just pops out, new one slides in.

If you mean simply replacing the actual diverter cartridge, then yes, if you mean actually welding in a entire new diverter system, fuck no.

The cartridge is easy as hell though. Old one just pops out, new one slides in.
I’m thinking it’s the former since the pull is on the spout.

You got a pic of the cartridge? I can probably tell you if it's the same thing I did
Nah. It’s been on the way out for awhile, but getting ready this morning I noticed the shower pressure had dropped substantially and the amount of water coming out of the shower and spout was about equal, so probably time to do something. I’ll probably wait until the weekend to pull the spout and see what’s happening in there.

Nah. It’s been on the way out for awhile, but getting ready this morning I noticed the shower pressure had dropped substantially and the amount of water coming out of the shower and spout was about equal, so probably time to do something. I’ll probably wait until the weekend to pull the spout and see what’s happening in there.
Yeah mines behind the wall mounted handle. Pop the handle off, there's a little pull tab, pop that out TURN OFF WATER FIRST DEAR GOD TURN OFF WATER FIRST pop that out and just insert the new one and you're good OH GOD THE WATER WON'T STOP IT'S EVERYWHERE NANCY CALL THE FIRE DEPARTMENT THIS IS BIBLICAL OH LORD

While we’re on plumbing. If my sink is leaking from the drain mount, Like a slow leak out the side at the gasket, How likely is it that I can tighten the bolt and Not have to replace the whole damn assembly? I really don’t feel like taking the whole damn thing apart but also don’t want to spend a lot of time on a futile effort.

While we’re on plumbing. If my sink is leaking from the drain mount. Like a slow leak out the side. How likely is it that I can tighten the bolt and. Not have to replace the whole damn assembly? I really don’t feel like taking the whole damn thing apart but also don’t want to spend a lot of time on a futile effort.
So it's leaking at the spot where the drain connects to the descending plumping pipe? Or is it the actual abs pipe that's leaking?

Back