Hot Take/ Musical Confession Thread!

Isn’t Mr. Brightside kinda a rip off of Bowie’s Queen Bitch?

It am not gonna lie I was familiar with Mr. Brightside first and didn’t come to that realization until hearing Queen Bitch pop up in Life Aquatic. It’s funny how that works.

That sorta thing amuses me, thinking back on songs where I was familiar with the “homage” before I became familiar with the original inspiration.

A few examples:

Cat Stevens - Father and Son >> Rilo Kiley - Dow He Love You

Tom Petty - American Girl >> The Strokes - Last Nite

The Beatles - Lady Madonna >> The Eels - Novocaine For the Soul

The Golden Girls Theme Song >> Sheryl Crow & Kid Rock - Pictures

Parliament/Funkadelic >> almost every 90’s Dr. Dre produced track

I am sure there am a million more examples.

Is it? Queen Bitch is one of my favourite Bowie tracks and I think Mr Brightside is pretty average. That said The Killers don’t have that amazing Mick Ronson guitar bit...

Also a much bigger Father and Son rip off is The Flaming Lips - The Fight Test

Last edited:
Is it? Queen Bitch is one of my favourite Bowie tracks and I think Mr Brightside is pretty average. That said The Killers don’t have that amazing Mick Ronson guitar bit...

Also a much bigger Father and Son rip off is The Flaming Lips - The Fight Teat

I think the one major difference here is Wayne has fully admitted to ripping off Fathers And Sons while The Killers are doing whatever it is they do.

Pretty sure they gave their publishing to Stevens if memory serves me correct which maybe it doesn't. That's the honourable thing to do.

That’s a different story, but, if they did it was after not crediting him on the album when it came out (just checked).

EDIT: Out of court settlement, Cat Stevens gets 75%, Wayne Coyne bitching that he didn’t accept 50/50

Last edited:
As much of a Radiohead stan as I am, them suing Lana for copying "Creep" was some next level hypocritical shit. Although I heard it wasn't them but actually the label that was threatening to sue, but I'm unsure exactly what the details were.

I don't know the details but it was more likely their publishing company. And why not? That's where all the money is in music, they're not stupid.
People point to Radiohead like these super artistes who have always done things their own way and not a band that had literally millions of dollars poured into their promotion and marketing by these big labels we all seem to hate.

As much of a Radiohead stan as I am, them suing Lana for copying "Creep" was some next level hypocritical shit. Although I heard it wasn't them but actually the label that was threatening to sue, but I'm unsure exactly what the details were.

The last I heard she was claiming they wanted 10p% royalties, their management claimed they didn’t want money but a credit as songwriters and the band have never spoken up about it. She announce it had been settled, but not how,

I don't know the details but it was more likely their publishing company. And why not? That's where all the money is in music, they're not stupid.
People point to Radiohead like these super artistes who have always done things their own way and not a band that had literally millions of dollars poured into their promotion and marketing by these big labels we all seem to hate.
That's probably what I actually meant by "label", I just remembered it was story at the beginning of last year and people went after RH, RH denied what LDR was accusing them of and that was the last I heard. Either way, it wasn't a good look for anyone involved.

Who hates big labels? They are, or at least were, a completely necessary evil...

The last I heard she was claiming they wanted 10p% royalties, their management claimed they didn’t want money but a credit as songwriters and the band have never spoken up about it. She announce it had been settled, but not how,
I thought they denied it?? I could be 100% wrong, the details are blurry.

I'm cancelling my Dublin trip next year. You're a psychopath.

Mooooohahahaha!

I have perfect teeth, they just clean them and compliment me, I’ve had no work done on them ever. Last time I said I must be lucky with my genes as they told me that’s nonsense and only someone whose diligent in looking after their teeth keeps them this good.

I like people that compliment me (yes I’m shallow...)

Last edited:
Back