I Don't Know Them: The June 2024 Vinyl Challenge Thread

Day 19: My All
a song inspired by her affair with Derek Jeter, specifically a rendezvous they had in Puerto Rico. play something romantic.

Iron & Wine - Light Verse

For the song "All in Good Time" with Fiona Apple.

1000149288-jpg.202932

Day 22: Thank God I Found You

IMG_8692.jpeg

The original version of this song hit #1 in February of 2000, becoming Mariah’s 15th #1 hit in the span of 9 and a half years! It would be another 5 years before she would have another tho…

Anyway, here’s my pick for today…

Pale Jay - “By the Lake” b/w Okonski - “Runner Up

IMG_8689.jpeg

By the Lake prominently samples the opening piano line from Runner Up.

the original version of this song is unremarkable, but I like how they turn the remix into almost a cover of Keith Sweat's "Make It Last Forever". play a record that samples/borrows/steals from another piece of work (the more obvious, the better!)

L'Impératrice "Pulsar" (2024 Microqlima)
The inner sleeve actually lists the inspiration that was borrowed of each track.
IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1433.JPG

Play a record that samples/borrows/steals from another piece of work (the more obvious, the better!)

He sampled a lot from movies, but he also used some parts of other songs, too. Some aren't all "samples" and more inspirations, but are close enough.

Nine Inch Nails – The Downward Spiral
Interscope Records – B0011697-01, 1994/2008

Cut by Kevin Gray at AcousTech Mastering
Pressed at United Record Pressing

k9TakqQ.jpg

BRv85Lr.jpg

Last edited:
Day 21
View attachment 206567
Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys

I bought it and then realized I bought the European version that didn’t use the same plates as the American version (no one seems to know who made this cut).

However, it is better than the version I had. In fact sounds awesome as hell this evening in my headphones.

Stupid fucking records.

I also made this same Amazon purchase - it was a hole in my Hendrix, so I thought I'd order a nice new reissue, not expecting Amazon to be selling the EU pressing.

Day 23: Loverboy
Play a soundtrack album (or a record featuring a song from a movie)

I can say I have watched Glitter a few times - even rented the DVD from Netflix back in the day. This was so I could rip it and merge the movie audio with the Rifftrax audio - as the only way I'd watch that movie is if someone is making fun of it.

20240623_120932.jpg

Now my next issue is what to decide to play - as we all know this is my day to shine, and as usual I have a fairly big backlog of soundtracks/scores I still need to play.

I think I'll just close my eyes and pull out a random record and spin the first soundtrack I pick.

FIRST PICK!!!

I had this cassette back in the day because the movie was awesome, but 11 year old me just didn't like this era of Prince and thought this album kinda sucked. It's grown on me since then, but still isn't a go-to Prince album.

Prince – Batman (Motion Picture Soundtrack)
NPG Records/Warner Records – R1 25936 1989/2023

Cut by Bernie Grundman
Pressed at MRP/GZ

lhkwieJ.jpg

da6iM2Z.jpg

I'll probably be spinning other scores/soundtracks in the spinning thread for the next few days I have off...I really do have a pile to get through.

Last edited:
Day 20: I Still Believe
from her first… “greatest hits” album, this song was originally a top 20 hit in 1988 for Brenda K. Starr who Mariah sang backing vocals for around that time and was added onto that comp as a homage. play a greatest hits record (or some great hits if you’re anti-greatest hits)

The Cars - Greatest Hits

I don't have any greatest hits collection on vinyl, but I have this one in my digital library for some reason despite also having the albums...

1000150312.jpg

Last edited:
Day 23: Loverboy

IMG_8698.jpeg

All of the details of the history & controversy surrounding “Loverboy”, including that involving Mariah’s ex & someone she doesn’t know, could take up an entire page, so I’m gonna restrict what I have to say to this song’s chart performance.

This song only managed to get as high enough as #2 thanks to a discounted physical single sale, priced at just 50c (and even then, it still wasn’t “Bootylicious” enough for #1 lol). Before the surge, it hadn’t even charted in the top half of the Hot 100 and barely even made the top 40 radio chart, thanks in part to Mariah’s erratic behaviour during that time & in part because the song itself… isn’t good. At all.

…anyway, here’s my pick for today…

George Michael - “I Want Your Sex

IMG_8697.jpeg

from the Beverly Hills Cop II soundtrack in 1987, before it was put on the Faith album later that year.

Day 21: Heartbreaker
the most expensive music video Mariah's ever made (and imagine how much more expensive it would've been had Jay-Z been allowed to appear). play a record that either broke the bank for you or could break someone else's bank if you decided to sell it (something expensive, basically)

Elliott Smith - Figure 8

Back when I bought the Bong Load presses of this one and XO together I felt like I was spending a ton at $70 for the bundle. Now the cheapest copy of this one is over $170 on Discogs (and it's $89 for XO).

20230712_164204-jpg.177589

Last edited:
Day 24: I Know What You Want
this Busta Rhymes/Flipmode Squad collab marked Mariah's first appearance in the Hot 100 top 10, top 40 and top 80 for the first time in almost two years and her first top 5 pop radio hit since *looks up on wiki...* 1996?! ...anyway, play a record released after a long hiatus

Released after a 21-year gap...

My Bloody Valentine - m b v

IMG_5734.jpeg

this Busta Rhymes/Flipmode Squad collab marked Mariah's first appearance in the Hot 100 top 10, top 40 and top 80 for the first time in almost two years and her first top 5 pop radio hit since *looks up on wiki...* 1996?! ...anyway, play a record released after a long hiatus

There was a whopping 481 day gap between the release of Gumboot Soup and this album.

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard ~ Fishing for Fishies

IMG_8109.jpeg

20 years (actually 19 years, 3 months, 9 days) ((but who's counting?)) (((Someone on Wikipedia is)))
IMG_8509.JPG

...honestly, I don't really have anything to say about this song, I've always been a fan of Busta's crazier hits & this isn't one of them. Anyway, here's my pick for to-well, yesterday...

George Michael - Older

IMG_8700.jpeg

His first album in almost 6 years, following his failed legal case against Sony Music & the death of his partner Anselmo.

Back