Incoming! The New Equipment Thread

@kvetcha @Hemotep --you guys get your Fosi monoblocks? Hook em up yet? I just got back from vacation and mine were waiting for me. The power filter came as well.

I'll try to hook it up to my Audiolab 6000A. Assuming that I'd set it to preamp mode and hook up the pre-out to the Fosi's via RCA?
Still waiting on mine. It finally showed movement but still in China.

@kvetcha @Hemotep --you guys get your Fosi monoblocks? Hook em up yet? I just got back from vacation and mine were waiting for me. The power filter came as well.

I'll try to hook it up to my Audiolab 6000A. Assuming that I'd set it to preamp mode and hook up the pre-out to the Fosi's via RCA?
Mine arrived but they didn’t have any power splitters for the 10A supplies.

IMG_1727_Original.jpeg
Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra in the house!

Lightning storm damaged my Kinki Studio EX-M1+ a couple of weeks ago. The R8 went back into full time duty and did well. But I like having a solid state amp in the fleet and decided to give the Starkrimson Ultra a try. Long story short. It’s good. Very good.

The ultra is clear and neutral sounding, great bass response with my s400 mkII speakers. Subs haven’t been turned on since I put the Ultra in the stack. I have been using my Eversolo DMP-A8 as a preamp and it’s performing well in that capacity. The A8/Ultra combo doesn’t have the sweetness of my Kinki amp, but it sounds really good.

I’ve been in touch with Kinki Studio to see what support options I have to fix the EX-M1+. They suggested I try replacing the fuses on the right channel module and sent instructions for how to make the repair. I’m going to give it a try as I would love to get that amp back in the rotation. Stay tuned for updates…

Last edited:
Have the Fosi monoblocks set up for now. Need to run through a bunch of music to test it out more. But noticed that they get EXTREMELY hot. they are sitting next to each other on my desk so not sure if this is normal or i need to raise them off the desktop a little bit more to get ventilation for them? they are hot to the point that i feel my hand could get burned if i touch it for too long.

Have the Fosi monoblocks set up for now. Need to run through a bunch of music to test it out more. But noticed that they get EXTREMELY hot. they are sitting next to each other on my desk so not sure if this is normal or i need to raise them off the desktop a little bit more to get ventilation for them? they are hot to the point that i feel my hand could get burned if i touch it for too long.
Intentional part of the design. They can get very warm but should not get dangerously hot. The chassis acts as a heat sink.

Intentional part of the design. They can get very warm but should not get dangerously hot. The chassis acts as a heat sink.
Interesting. I was kinda surprised at how hot they get. Curious to hear people’s thoughts on them once more people get them in. I need a bit more time with them. Have them hooked up to the preout on my Rotel 1570-A at the moment.

Do you have the Fosi V3 Monos? Do you plan on Op Amp rolling?

I look forward to your review of them.

Do you have the Fosi V3 Monos? Do you plan on Op Amp rolling?

I look forward to your review of them.
yes--i got the V3 monos. i opened up one of them to swap the op amps today and realized that i don't have enough op amps to swap out. Seems that each unit has 2 swappable op amps and i only have 2 total.

i think others here will have more experience reviewing these! i don't have a ton to compare to.

yes--i got the V3 monos. i opened up one of them to swap the op amps today and realized that i don't have enough op amps to swap out. Seems that each unit has 2 swappable op amps and i only have 2 total.

i think others here will have more experience reviewing these! i don't have a ton to compare to.
I believe they've said you don't need to swap all of them. Just swapping the 2nd position op-amp works. The 1st position is only in the signal path for the balanced connection.

i had them on yesterday for probably 6+ hours in a row and they got REAL hot. is something like this what you're talking about? https://www.bestbuy.com/site/targus-dual-fan-lap-chill-mat-cooling-system/8848387.p?skuId=8848387
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I had a laptop that after a couple hours of use would be too hot to touch (many years ago before they made a lot of the current improvements) and one of those fans made a big enough difference to cool it a few degrees to a tolerable level that improved performance.

Back