Jazz

I know the Verve reissue series does not have great QC, but this reissue is overdue:

Looking forward to this one! I had previously considered getting it on CD until seeing this pending reissue.

Nice Read on upcoming Nina Simone release
I’ve been on such a Nina kick lately. The VMPs were great and I still really love that live album that came out a year or two ago from Newport Jazz fest (even if Kevin Reeves cut it)

Any books/podcasts/etc that folks recommend that are good surveys of jazz? In other words, no biographies but broader histories. I'm familiar with the Ted Gioia stuff, and have seen most of the Ken Burns docuseries, but just trying to get a bit more under my belt.

Any books/podcasts/etc that folks recommend that are good surveys of jazz? In other words, no biographies but broader histories. I'm familiar with the Ted Gioia stuff, and have seen most of the Ken Burns docuseries, but just trying to get a bit more under my belt.
And the second part:

Album Studies:
Tim Maia's Tim Maia Racional Vols. 1 & 2
Part of the 33 1/3 Brazil series, this short read studies 2 of the most controversial releases by Tim Maia. Maia famously joined the Racional cult and completely changed his lifestyle. Some had a positive effect (such as quitting drugs and alcohol), some had a negative effect (such as giving mountains of money to the cult leader), and some were just downright bizarre (such as painting his instruments white, wearing all white clothes, and standing in a field late at night playing to attract aliens).

Tom Waits' 'Swordfishtrombones' by David Smay
I find I have to really love an album to read its 33 1/3 release, and this is a good example of when they are done right. Swordfishtrombones was the first album Waits recorded after his marriage to Kathleen Brennan (who some see as a negative figure on his musical career) and it really was a turning point in his unique sound and approach to music.

A Love Supreme: The Story of John Coltrane's Signature Album by Ashley Kahn
I bought this and the The Making of Kind Of Blue a few weeks back. I have yet to read the Miles Davis book, but did absolutely devour the Love Supreme story by Ashley Kahn. I had just finished reading Kahn's biography on Impulse! records before moving onto this, and its clear that he has huge admiration for Coltrane.

Fiction:
The Vinyl Detective - Written in Dead Wax by Andrew Cartmel
Ignore the childish cover art and this is a really fun detective/mystery book which revolves around vinyl. The main character is a vinyl obsessive (something we can all relate to!) that gets hired to hunt down a fictitious rare album by a forgotten group. The problem is that someone else is also after it and leaves a wave of bodies behind whilst doing so. Cartmel is CLEARLY a record nerd and the way its written hits home a lot of times (especially the day to day nuances of being a collector). This is the first in a 4-part series which are all great, fun reads.

General Jazz Books:
As Serious As Your Life: Black Music and the Free Jazz Revolution by Val Wilmer
Val Wilmer is a legendary British jazz journalist/photographer who worked prolifically in the 60's and 70's. She would hang out and take photos of all the now-legendary jazz musicians and this book highlights this time and the overall impact it had on society. She looks at specific musicians and the impact of their music, plus details how this sometimes out-there music was initially received (Ornette Coleman and his free jazz is a good example).

Blue Note: Uncompromising Expression: The Finest in Jazz Since 1939
I was close to including the Blue Note Records: The Biography book here, but I personally found it to be a bit dry. On the other hand, Uncompromising Expression is a fantastic behemoth of a book which was released for Blue Notes 75th anniversary. Full of amazing photos, reviews, and a faily decent introduction to the label as well.

Verve: The Sound of America
This has the exact same template as the Blue Note: Uncompromising Expression, and is a fantastic look into the history, artwork, and musicians associated with Verve Records.

The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records
This was a recent read and one which I loved. The format is fantastic, with plenty of photos, and the main bulk of text being broken up by double-spread album studies.

Jazz Biogs (there's wayyyyy more I have read than this, so if anyone does want further recommendations just let me know):
Straight Life: The Story Of Art Pepper by Art Pepper
Many people cite Miles Davis' book as being the best jazz biography, but I personally think that this book ever so slightly tops it. Its a behemoth at 624 pages, but packed full of incredible anecdotes which flickers from the life of a jazz musician to the life of a junkie. Pepper doesnt hold back either and includes all the gritty details.

Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
Herbie's biography is one that I first read late last year and I couldn't put it down. He's always come across as the nicest guy, but what I didnt realise was just how incredibly clever he is (from pioneering the lastest tech in his music, to obtaining the rights to his biggest songs - something most musicians never did and lost a fortune because of it). Certainly worth a read, especially if you are considering picking up the Anthology from VMP.

Raise Up Off Me: A Portrait of Hampton Hawes
This was a cheapo pick-up but one that I devoured. Its very much in the same vein as the Art Pepper book, in fact, if memory serves me correctly there is even a cross over period when they are in jail together.

Miles: The Autobiography
I would be doing a disservice if I didn't mention this. Its perhaps the most well-regarded jazz biography, and for good reason. Miles was never one to hold back and he certainly doesn't do that here, spilling lots of dirty secrets and stories.

Coltrane: The Story of a Sound by Ben Ratliff
These tons of books on Coltrane (and I have read a fair amount of them!) but this is one of the better ones. Not only does Ratliff discuss the progression of his music, from the early days with Miles Davis to the controversial latter years, but he also analyses and discusses Coltrane's unique sound.

I added a few to the thread above. I read a LOT of jazz books each year, here are a few that kind of fit your description:

- As Serious As Your Life: Black Music And The Free Revolution 1957-1977 by Val Wilmer
- Jazz From Detroit by Mark Stryker
- Music Outside by Ian Carr (British jazz)
- Trad Dads, Dirty Boppers and Free Fusioners by Duncan Heining (British jazz)
- The Freedom Principal: Jazz After 1958 by John Litweller.
- Hard Bop: Jazz And Black Music 1955-1965 by David H. Rosenthal
- What Jazz Is All About by Lillian Erlich.
- Rhythm-A-Ning: Jazz Traditions And Innovations In The 80's but Gary Giddins
- Modern Jazz: A Survey Of Developments Since 139 by Alun Morgan & Raymond Horricks
- West Coast Jazz: Modern Jazz In California 1945-1960 by Ted Gioia
- How To Listen To Jazz by Ted Gioia
- The History Of Jazz by Ted Gioia
- But Beautiful: A Book About Jazz by Geoff Dyer
- The Jazz Tradition by Martin Williams
- Live At The Village Vanguard by Max Gordon (gives a good overview of jazz and other genres at the club over the years)
- Jazz: A Guide To The History And Development Of Jazz And Jazz Musicians by Arrigo Polillo
- Jazz by Graham Collier (more theory based)
- The Sound Of Surprise by Whitney Balliett

Interesting that the 3 Chet Baker albums that Sam Records released a while back are getting a new reissue.

Back