Jazz

I added a few to the thread above. I read a LOT of jazz books each year, here are a few that kind of fit your description:

- As Serious As Your Life: Black Music And The Free Revolution 1957-1977 by Val Wilmer
- Jazz From Detroit by Mark Stryker
- Music Outside by Ian Carr (British jazz)
- Trad Dads, Dirty Boppers and Free Fusioners by Duncan Heining (British jazz)
- The Freedom Principal: Jazz After 1958 by John Litweller.
- Hard Bop: Jazz And Black Music 1955-1965 by David H. Rosenthal
- What Jazz Is All About by Lillian Erlich.
- Rhythm-A-Ning: Jazz Traditions And Innovations In The 80's but Gary Giddins
- Modern Jazz: A Survey Of Developments Since 139 by Alun Morgan & Raymond Horricks
- West Coast Jazz: Modern Jazz In California 1945-1960 by Ted Gioia
- How To Listen To Jazz by Ted Gioia
- The History Of Jazz by Ted Gioia
- But Beautiful: A Book About Jazz by Geoff Dyer
- The Jazz Tradition by Martin Williams
- Live At The Village Vanguard by Max Gordon (gives a good overview of jazz and other genres at the club over the years)
- Jazz: A Guide To The History And Development Of Jazz And Jazz Musicians by Arrigo Polillo
- Jazz by Graham Collier (more theory based)
- The Sound Of Surprise by Whitney Balliett
How can I be @Selaws when I grow up?

Interesting that the 3 Chet Baker albums that Sam Records released a while back are getting a new reissue.

Just saw that, come to see if it had been mentioned. I’ve got the Sam releases, definitely won’t bite twice but interested in how these are done and if there will be any more titles coming

I added a few to the thread above. I read a LOT of jazz books each year, here are a few that kind of fit your description:

- As Serious As Your Life: Black Music And The Free Revolution 1957-1977 by Val Wilmer
- Modern Jazz: A Survey Of Developments Since 139 by Alun Morgan & Raymond Horricks
- Live At The Village Vanguard by Max Gordon (gives a good overview of jazz and other genres at the club over the years)
- Jazz: A Guide To The History And Development Of Jazz And Jazz Musicians by Arrigo Polillo

Great list.

If anyone’s interested I’d recommend the audible versions of the vinyl detective. They were a very entertaining diversion when I was working away from home.

I'm still not convinced he knows anything about the genre. 😆

Let's talk about Nilva records...

I'll freely admit I don't know much about Alvin Queen. But he must have been living in Europe for quite a while playing with just about everyone and his little label that could Nilva has a ton of fun sessions (and some really bad ones too). Yes there's a free jazz unobtanium release that I have never listened to (or care to) and one of Big John Pattons last sessions, but really these are some damn fine Jazz sides, that sound incredible - they're all pressed in France (MPO) and the jackets have that thin cardboard that kinda melts if you don't take care of it but many of these are still reasonably priced...Im listening to a direct import (JP) version of 'A day in holland' with Dusk Goykovich and it's real good. like the kind of jazz record that makes you want to buy more jazz records...yes, this one is getting a bit up there in price, but the juice is worth the squeeze...

now...someone teach me about more 80's jazz labels from Europe that I can plunder. TIA

Anyone have the Taschen "Jazz Life" book? Can get the smaller one for basically $0 out of pocket. Worth it or should I splurge on the larger one?

I have the larger and there are great photos. If you can have it for $0 go for it but a larger would make more sense. Every year they have flash sales, at least there are in France, with 50% discounted items, both in store and online. That's when I bought mine.

I have the larger and there are great photos. If you can have it for $0 go for it but a larger would make more sense. Every year they have flash sales, at least there are in France, with 50% discounted items, both in store and online. That's when I bought mine.
I ended up snagging the smaller one but if I think it’s too small I’ll just return it and try that half off sale if it pops up (I want the other jazz books too)

I ended up snagging the smaller one but if I think it’s too small I’ll just return it and try that half off sale if it pops up (I want the other jazz books too)

Jazz Covers is a nice book as well, with a selection from Joaquim Paulo. I bought him a few recorfd in the past and you may know him thanks to his label Mad About Records.

$25

$20

Analogue October records is releasing a reissue of this one:

Mastered and cut at Gearbox directly from the original Decca Mastertapes. Zero digital. Tape to lathe

Assuming @Selaws knows about this already?

Analogue October records is releasing a reissue of this one:

Mastered and cut at Gearbox directly from the original Decca Mastertapes. Zero digital. Tape to lathe

Assuming @Selaws knows about this already?

I do indeed and I'm fortunate enough to have a factory sample pressing of the original album signed by Neil Ardley.

It's generally considered to be the final in 3 concept albums by Ardley which started with "Greek Variations & Other Aegean Exercises" (1970) then went on to "A Symphony Of Amaranths" and finally "Harmony Of The Spheres". Its also his final album for a major label.

Its a strange choice to reissue before the other 2 in my opinion as its not considered his greatest (a classic case of too "different" for jazz fans and too jazzy for non-jazz fans) but I really like it, he started to delve into synth's which was quite interesting.

Back