May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 16: Classical

It’s a Sunday. After the shenanigans of the last two days let’s get all high brow. Play me a nice piece of classical or modern classical music.

Mary Lattimore - Silver Ladders

Classicalish with a side of Slowdive. I dig.

20201020_184226-jpg.71259

Day 15: Hungover - So we got far too drunk listening to those bangers last night. Play some music to sooth the sore head and tortured soul.

I've got 3 extra kids spending the night tonight, so I'm indulging in some hair of the dog along with this album. Costco's finest - Bullit Bourbon pairs nicely.

Nick Drake ~ Pink Moon

1621135619582.png

Mozart {Concertgebouw Orchestra Of Amsterdam conducted by Eduard Van Beinum} - Serenade No. 9 In D Major, K. 320 ("Posthorn") / Symphony No. 29 In A Major, K. 201

20210515_214125.jpg

Normally I will steer towards Bach or Rachmaninoff but I remember really liking this the last time we put it on, and it's kind of perfect for the household vibes right now.

I have 2 copies of this one...both records are the same, but one is an in-between variant that has the older sleeve w/ old cat # and a wrap sticker around the spine and back - with the newer repress labels. I think I got this one with the shrink and hype sticker at still sealed at a Goodwill.

The London Symphony Orchestra Featuring Ian Anderson ‎– A Classic Case (The London Symphony Orchestra Plays The Music Of Jethro Tull Featuring Ian Anderson)
RCA Red Seal ‎– CRL1-9505, 1985

Cut by Jack Adelman
Pressed at RCA, Indianapolis

A8WRFq.jpg

kJ9twj.jpg

3bzCTI.jpg

Day 16: Classical - It’s a Sunday. After the shenanigans of the last two days let’s get all high brow. Play me a nice piece of classical or modern classical music.

Jeremiah Fraites - Piano Piano

I'm not sure that I own any Classical music, but this is certainly close and an absolutely beautiful album!

Day 16: Classical - It’s a Sunday. After the shenanigans of the last two days let’s get all high brow. Play me a nice piece of classical or modern classical music.

Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert

07D1C755-A0D8-4976-B1FB-EADE6EB52AED.jpeg

This was really well mastered, feels like he’s playing for us in our living room

Otis Redding "The Immortal Otis Redding" (1968 ATCO; 2020 VMP Classics ROTM reissue)

Adapting since I own no classical records. And if you're wondering if this qualifies as "high brow", have you read the note booklets that come with these records? I raise my eye brow very high each time I read one.

IMG_1479.JPG

Last edited:

It’s a Sunday. After the shenanigans of the last two days let’s get all high brow. Play me a nice piece of classical or modern classical music

George Gershwin - Rhapsody In Blue / An American In Paris
8E25177C-2384-481D-8329-CF41752EF6D1.jpeg

My SO is a classically trained clarinetist with a Bachelors degree in music. Occasionally when she has been kind enough to tolerate me while I obsessively spend an hour plus thumbing through albums at a dusty record store she will spend a portion of that time perusing the shops, usually very inexpensive selection of Classical albums. As such we have a decent amount of Classical (and Benny Goodman Dixieland Jazz) LPs stashed throughout the home. I am not a Classical connoisseur per se bu I do tend to enjoy the albums when she put one on. Today she decided to go with some Gershwin which always brightens the mood.

Day 15: Hungover
PXL_20210516_175615252.jpg
it's been awhile since I had enough of a party night to have an actual hangover in the morning, but I had two drinks and a few puffs last night, so that feels like a party these days! Some Brazil 66 vibes this Sunday AM will do for a cure for the lightly muffled head I have.

Day 17: Irish Tunes

So I live in Ireland. Play me an album by an artist born on these shores.

My Bloody Valentine - m b v

My Wikipedia research just informed me that only Colm Ó Cíosóig was born in Ireland, but the band was born there, so I'm counting it. And, even though I played it for last month's challenge, it's my only MBV album on vinyl... at least until my order for the reissues ships, hopefully very soon!

20200516_163512-jpg.47301

Back