May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 17: Irish Tunes

So I live in Ireland. Play me an album by an artist born on these shores.

My Bloody Valentine - m b v

My Wikipedia research just informed me that only Colm Ó Cíosóig was born in Ireland, but the band was born there, so I'm counting it. And, even though I played it for last month's challenge, it's my only MBV album on vinyl... at least until my order for the reissues ships, hopefully very soon!

20200516_163512-jpg.47301

They're all Irish reared though. I think a lot of them, pretty emblematic of the time, were born in Britain or America with their parents as economic emigrants during one or the other economic crisis that Ireland was regularly in during its first 60 or 70 years as a state. They all met in a school in south Dublin, Kevin Shields still lives out in that direction, from what I gather he’s not that far away from where I live.

Day 17: Irish Tunes
So I live in Ireland. Play me an album by an artist born on these shores.

When I was in high school, we had a weekly, early AM TV show called Night Flight. They showed everything from weird cult movies to live concerts to music videos. It was absolutely sublime.

On one of those shows, I had my first exposure to Rory Gallagher. Jesus H. Christ. He was spectacular and immediately became a favorite that I still revere over 40 years later. The clip below is from that first epiphany TV performance.

Thanks for everything. Miss you, man.

Rory Gallagher - Irish Tour '74..

My copy I bought shortly after that epiphany in 1979...

20210517_035054.jpg

Day 16: Classical

It’s a Sunday Monday. After the shenanigans of the last two days let’s get all high brow. Play me a nice piece of classical or modern classical music.

1720 was apparently a good year. No idea if there are Greatest Hits of 1719 or 1721 collections, but this one is enjoyable - and part of my very limited classical collection.

Philharmonia Virtuosi of New York ~ Greatest Hits of 1720.

1621270546530.png

Another band, like mbv, where most of them were actually born outside of Ireland lol. I think that only one of them was born in Ireland and wasn’t Shane lol
Ha, I forgot about the “born” part. It looks like only Phil Chevron and Terry Woods were actually from Ireland (not sure the latter was on this record). I figured Cait would be but apparently she was born in Nigeria?

Day 18: N&G AoTM
As you’re all aware I’m a huge fan of and participant in the N&G AoTMs! Play your favourite out of the 23 today (or 24 if @bfly has been rumbled by now).

I'll go with @Murfocakes and Lou Reed - The Blue Mask.

Not a new record to me - I've owned it since it's release - but one that's very undervalued in the Lou catalog. Definitely a top 5 Lou Reed LP for me. Other then the Rock N Roll Animal lineup, this was Lou's best band. The interplay with Robert Quine is just sublime and Fernando Saunders is an other-worldly bassist. I was happy to see it get much deserved exposure.

If you ever need to strip some paint or loosen a rusted bolt, fire up that title track. Total catharsis that can move mountains.

20210518_003227.jpg

Last edited:
Back