May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 18: N&G AoTM

Recomposed by Max Richter - Vivaldi: The Four Seasons

{N&G AoTM Vol. 13 - July 2020 picked by @Alexander}

20210517_213824.jpg

Interestingly enough despite only being here for a couple of months now, I picked up my copy of this right around the time clues for AoTM would've started, so I thought that was pretty cool when scanning the archives. This was my introduction to Max Richter back around 2015 and is still my favourite thing in his catalogue. It really scratches so many itches and sounds so lush. I'd say this and Yo Yo Ma's Six Evolutions - Bach: Cello Suites are my two favourite Classical albums by quite a measure.

Day 18: N&G AoTM - As you’re all aware I’m a huge fan of and participant in the N&G AoTMs! Play your favourite out of the 23 today (or 24 if @bfly has been rumbled by now).

Nicole Atkins - Goodnight Rhonda Lee

There have been many really good picks, and I honestly haven't kept up with those threads lately, but this one always stands out for me and is an artist I love and continue to follow.

Day 13 - Unlucky
MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday

Pretty unlucky dude. Not long after KMD made it big, his brother, also a member of the group, died. He finished their next album without him, but Elektra dropped the group and shelved the (great) album due to controversial cover art. He disappeared from the scene and had a rough few years before reemerging a completely different artist as MF DOOM. After a high point of 10 years or so of great music, it was discovered that he had never gained US citizenship after being born in England and emigrating back to NY as a kid. After an international tour in 2010, he was not allowed back to the US and would never return home. Unfortunately his son died unexpectedly at 14 in 2017 and DOOM died unexpectedly at 49 last year. RIP, thanks for the incredible music.

PXL_20210518_134516226~2.jpg

Last edited:
Day 16: Classical - It’s a Sunday. After the shenanigans of the last two days let’s get all high brow. Play me a nice piece of classical or modern classical music.

Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert

View attachment 99517

This was really well mastered, feels like he’s playing for us in our living room
What press, if you don't mind me asking?

Day 14 - Pop
Tyler, The Creator - IGOR

Fitting since its two year anniversary was in the past week. Hoping he sticks to his trend of albums every two years and puts something out soon.

PXL_20210518_145101900.jpg

Edit: Oops, forgot: Since today is my Monday, here is my favorite morning "tipple" (coffee).

PXL_20210518_142410260.MP~2.jpg

As you’re all aware I’m a huge fan of and participant in the N&G AoTMs! Play your favourite out of the 23 today.

W.H. Lung "Incidental Music" (2019 Melodic)

I've enjoyed and purchased many of the N&G ROTM selections. This album was Volume 16 in October 2020 as selected by @ByersVinyl. It surprised me by both being a record I had never heard and by being so on point with my tastes. "Incidental Music" is a synth-pop album with motorik beats that owes a clear debt to the likes of Factory Records. Add to that a vocal delivery that is at times reminiscent of David Byrne. Love it! As an added bonus, the 2x45 rpm pressing for this is fantastic.

IMG_1484.JPG

As you’re all aware I’m a huge fan of and participant in the N&G AoTMs! Play your favourite out of the 23 today.

I'm certain you all have noticed that I've been spinning mostly the N&G records this month. I only started at day 6, so I missed some easy opportunities such as Camarón - La Leyenda Del Tiempo for Spain day, Tortoise - TNT for their fourth record, Tim Hecker - Radio Amor for his second album, Patrick Sweany - Every Hour Is A Dollar Gone for the workers unite day. I'll try to interpret the rest of the month to fit these in.

For my favorites, there is a tie. Nicole Atkins and Ruen Brothers. This is because I had the opportunity to see them perform live and get their autographs after their show. Since Nicole was already picked, I'll spin...

Ruen Brothers - All My Shades of Blue

PXL_20210518_161409197.jpg
IMG_20191123_223210 (1).jpg

I may have to cheat a bit on Scotland day and spin this again. These guys are from Scunthorpe, England. Not exactly Scotland of course, but the closest N&G group as far as I can tell.

I'm certain you all have noticed that I've been spinning mostly the N&G records this month. I only started at day 6, so I missed some easy opportunities such as Camarón - La Leyenda Del Tiempo for Spain day, Tortoise - TNT for their fourth record, Tim Hecker - Radio Amor for his second album, Patrick Sweany - Every Hour Is A Dollar Gone for the workers unite day. I'll try to interpret the rest of the month to fit these in.

For my favorites, there is a tie. Nicole Atkins and Ruen Brothers. This is because I had the opportunity to see them perform live and get their autographs after their show. Since Nicole was already picked, I'll spin...

Ruen Brothers - All My Shades of Blue

View attachment 99736
View attachment 99737

I may have to cheat a bit on Scotland day and spin this again. These guys are from Scunthorpe, England. Not exactly Scotland of course, but the closest N&G group as far as I can tell.

Well that or cheat and pick the album chosen by our sole Scottish picker! I can’t remember if you’ve played that one this month yet though!

As you’re all aware I’m a huge fan of and participant in the N&G AoTMs! Play your favourite out of the 23 today (or 24 if @bfly has been rumbled by now).

Nicole Atkins - Goodnight Rhonda Lee

I really need to start participating in the AotM threads! Thanks to getting this one as a PIF, I rediscovered Atkins. I have her first couple albums on CD, but she'd dropped of my radar for a while. Needless to say, this album has me paying attention again!

20200709_123501-jpg.55897

Day 18: N&G AoTM - As you’re all aware I’m a huge fan of and participant in the N&G AoTMs! Play your favourite out of the 23 today (or 24 if @bfly has been rumbled by now).

As noted earlier in the thread I haven't participated in the AOTM threads, although I really should. Skimmed them at the end of April to see what caught my eye, and initially looked at the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan as his work on the Dead Man Walking soundtrack caught my ear a long time ago, but I've never searched him out past that. Unfortunately, getting that shipped to the states was prohibitive, so I ordered Volume 20 instead. Glad I did, even though I'm only half-way through my first listen - it arrived a few days ago, but wanted today to be the first listen. Great harmonies and musicianship, I'm definitely going to dig deeper into this album.

Birds of Chicago ~ Love in Wartime

1621360580568.png

So this is N&G AoTM-adjacent

Isotope 217 - The Unstable Molecule (streaming my cd-rip)

Band formed by Rob Mazurek with Jeff Parker, John Herndon and Dan Bitney (all members of Tortoise) and others. A nice amalgam of 90s space-rock and jazz. This is their first album from 1997, the year before Parker joined Tortoise. Includes La Jetee, which was later recorded by Tortoise on TNT (as The Jetty).

D1A9FAD8-E70B-4246-A43E-E140498AF03B.jpeg

Back