May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

I would definitely take ya up on the offer but unfortunately I have a giant melon too. I wear a 7 3/4 fitted cap. Chances are good I would run into the same issue.
Let me try to measure it. First time running into this issue, usually I'm good with two dots on snapbacks. That one is a little too tight with 1. My head is kind of weird in that it is narrower than long so all the pressure if it is tight is in the middle of my forehead. Fits somewhat better if I bend the bill some.

Day 18: N&G AoTM - As you’re all aware I’m a huge fan of and participant in the N&G AoTMs! Play your favourite out of the 23 today (or 24 if @bfly has been rumbled by now).

As noted earlier in the thread I haven't participated in the AOTM threads, although I really should. Skimmed them at the end of April to see what caught my eye, and initially looked at the Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan as his work on the Dead Man Walking soundtrack caught my ear a long time ago, but I've never searched him out past that. Unfortunately, getting that shipped to the states was prohibitive, so I ordered Volume 20 instead. Glad I did, even though I'm only half-way through my first listen - it arrived a few days ago, but wanted today to be the first listen. Great harmonies and musicianship, I'm definitely going to dig deeper into this album.

Birds of Chicago ~ Love in Wartime

View attachment 99746
I've got to give this one a listen yet. Somehow it's the only Allison Russell project I haven't listened to. I love everything else she's done, so it seems silly not to have heard this one yet!

Day 18 - N&G AoTM

A bunch of the N&G AoTMs are among my most listened to records. If I had to pick a favorite I think I’d have to go with Clarence Clarity (via @gaporter ) because it’s sucha a unique and exciting record, but I already played that one this challenge, so let’s pander to Joe instead:

7AD04FAC-175A-4B48-BE75-4270A1D30CDD.jpeg
I also have Joe to thank for this Gloaming side project, which I love as well:

A8CC934C-6323-45CA-905F-A78B9DB16003.jpeg

DAY 17
IRISH
Funeral Suits - Lily of the Valley
This was a band I was into back in the 2010s, not sure if anyone on the forum would remember these guys. I really liked this album, then never listened to their follow up, then they disbanded. I picked this album up on Bandcamp recently for the nostalgia, and it seems that was a wise move on my part, because it appears to have since gone out of stock 😳 super glad I picked it up when I had the chance, it's a solid album that still holds up alright imo. But more importantly for this theme: they are Irish!
20210519_014101.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 18
AOTM
Tim Hecker - Radio Amor
I decided against being a complete narcissist and picking my own AOTM to play for today, and decided to instead give some shine to an AOTM that I haven't given enough turntable time. @duke86fan knocked it out of the park with this pick - this is an aural treat, a haunting mix of ambient and field recordings manipulated into phantasmagoric soundscapes. Feels a bit like the soundtrack to a lost David Lynch movie.
20210519_024456.jpg

Last edited:
DAY 19
FAMILY
The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
My grandpa (on my mom's side) was the first person to preach the gospel of the Beatles to me when I was very young. Then when I was older and started to collect vinyl, he lent me this copy of The White Album and I've cherished it ever since 😊
20210519_033211.jpg

Day 17: Irish Tunes

I thought of playing The Cranberries compilation I recently picked up and spun in the Spinnin' thread the other day, as it's pretty good. But I needed something more to wake up to this morning.

Thin Lizzy ‎– Jailbreak
Vertigo ‎– 6360 130, 1976

German pressing

Cut at Phonodisc

kUHuJc.jpg

FK838Q.jpg

Day 19: Family - Play an album that you were introduced to in your youth by your family and that you still love today.

Today is easy. I distinctly remember this in both my parents and sisters record collection, and loving the album & the textured surface of the cover. In addition, we went to a bit of a hippie church where the band would sing 70's folk songs, so Teach Your Children and Our House were in rotation.

Haven't dug too deep into the 50th edition that just dropped, but look forward to getting the outtakes being released on Record Store Day. Edited to add: Just read the Lefsetz Letter on the 50th anniversary version, and now I'm definitely going to have to dig into it. A great piece of writing.

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ~ Deja Vu

1621439538047.png

Last edited:
Back