May 2021 - Vinyl Spins Challenge Thread

Day 20: Scottish Tunes
The country my Dad is from. Play me something by an artist born in Scotland.

Du Blonde "Homecoming" (2021 Daemon TV Records)
Shirley Manson of Garbage is from Scotland, so it gives me the excuse to spin this rocking new release where Shirley Manson does a guest spot.

IMG_1488.JPG

Also, this might be of interest. While I was googling to decide what to spin, I came across this article about emerging Scottish artists. I'll be checking these out today.

Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

A118FF13-21B6-4309-82FF-933D72239FBF.jpeg

For the first time, I’ll resist the urge to play Teenage Fanclub. I didn’t have high opinions of this band until someone played the album from the start. One of my favorite opening tracks.

The country my Dad is from. Play me something by an artist born in Scotland

The Delgados - The Great Eastern
EFB27F0F-DE96-430E-AC16-45BD262772B3.jpeg

Dave Fridmann has produced some amazing records from a lot of well known bands (Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Sparklehorse, etc…) for some dumbfounding reason Scottish band, The Delgados never received the same amount of attention as these other well deserving groups. The Great Eastern is as on par or better than The Soft Bulletin, Deserter’s Songs, or It’s A Wonderful Life. Just a beautiful album from beginning to end.

The country my Dad is from. Play me something by an artist born in Scotland

The Delgados - The Great Eastern
View attachment 100008

Dave Fridmann has produced some amazing records from a lot of well known bands (Flaming Lips, Mercury Rev, Sparklehorse, etc…) for some dumbfounding reason Scottish band, The Delgados never received the same amount of attention as these other well deserving groups. The Great Eastern is as on par or better than The Soft Bulletin, Deserter’s Songs, or It’s A Wonderful Life. Just a beautiful album from beginning to end.

giphy.gif

Edit: It's literally on my turntable right now... and I think I'm screwed now on my secondary challenge... a few days in to the month, I noticed I'd only played albums by women or bands with women singing, so I thought I'd keep it up all month, but I think this was my only Scottish album that lets me do that... EDIT: except it isn't and I totally forgot an obvious one. Phew.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Edit: It's literally on my turntable right now... and I think I'm screwed now on my secondary challenge... a few days in to the month, I noticed I'd only played albums by women or bands with women singing, so I thought I'd keep it up all month, but I think this was my only Scottish album that lets me do that... EDIT: except it isn't and I totally forgot an obvious one. Phew.
Disaster averted.

I was gonna offer to Pinch Hit for ya. Belle & Sebastian with Isobelle Campbell singing woulda fit nicely.

Day 19: Family

Some of my earliest records were a couple of my mom's old Monkees albums that my grandparents still had at their house. I doubt she had this one, though.

The Monkees ‎– Head
Rhino Records ‎– R1 528615, 1968/2011

Cut by Chris Bellman
Pressed at RTI

5wgT14.jpg

3M6O9o.jpg

I also highly recommend the Criterion Blu-ray box set the movie is in...

qlYnZT.jpg

Born in Scotland, he spent his first 12 years there before he and his family moved to England. "A" was suppose to be his first solo album, but that became a Jethro Tull album instead due to label pressure, making this his debut solo release.

The "A", "Under Wraps", "Walk Into Light" era of JT/IA are probably my least favorite. "The Broadsword and the Beast" has its moments, but I still don't listen to it that much. The synths just didn't work for me.

Ian Anderson ‎– Walk Into Light
Chrysalis ‎– FV 41443, 1983

Cut by Joe Gastwirt at JVC
Pressed at PRC

7aiVaV.jpg

8calGj.jpg

Day 20 - Scottish

20210520_231006.jpg

Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player

I mentioned last month that I dont have any Scottish artist and that hasn't changed so I went through a bit of a wikipedia search chain to do this lol

Scotland -> Scottish Actors -> David Tennant -> Doctor Who -> episode "Love & Monsters" -> Elton John's "Daniel" is used the episode -> This album!!!

Back