Movies

Anyone else looking forward to the new Alien movie ? I’m really really hoping it delivers the goods - only been waiting since 1986 for a worthy addition to the 1st two
Alien is one of my favorite franchises (the only entry I'm not too hot on is Resurrection, which even then has its moments) so I definitely plan on seeing it ASAP. I'm cautiously optimistic, but trying not to get my hopes too high. As others have said, Álvarez knocked it out of the park with his Evil Dead remake (imo), so if he can bring that same spark to this franchise, it could be something special.

Then again, I'm one of the few people who liked both Prometheus *and* Covenant, so it's possible I'll just like any movie with a Xenomorph in it.

Alien is one of my favorite franchises (the only entry I'm not too hot on is Resurrection, which even then has its moments) so I definitely plan on seeing it ASAP. I'm cautiously optimistic, but trying not to get my hopes too high. As others have said, Álvarez knocked it out of the park with his Evil Dead remake (imo), so if he can bring that same spark to this franchise, it could be something special.

Then again, I'm one of the few people who liked both Prometheus *and* Covenant, so it's possible I'll just like any movie with a Xenomorph in it.
As a huge Evil Dead fan, I was so pleasantly surprised by his remake and endlessly disappointed that they didn't stick with it. I hated Evil Dead Rise as an Evil Dead movie because it had almost no humor in it, but didn't mind it if I just told myself it wasn't in the universe.

I need to do a rewatch of Ash vs. Evil Dead. I loved that show so much.

595fb664-9323-4684-b321-729f05050f84_text.gif

Based on Alvarez’s Evil Dead remake I’m scared it’ll be too gross for me; I love Alien but I avoided the series because the chest buster is so upsetting to me as a concept. I’m curious though.
It was gross, but it was gross within the Alien idiom, so it worked for me. It has a couple of moments that were a bit too winky winky, and a few instances of ‘these characters are being idiots,’ but I really enjoyed it overall. Scary, icky, and, I must say, it *looked* and *sounded* absolutely awesome.

I had a “mid shower thought” about the Alien franchise today. I think Hollywood really dropped the ball with all the Alien and Predator franchise crossover. If they were gonna cross over franchises they should have done so by combining Alien with the other Ridley Scott sci-fi masterpiece, Bladerunner. The Android elements feel like a natural connection point.

I had a “mid shower thought” about the Alien franchise today. I think Hollywood really dropped the ball with all the Alien and Predator franchise crossover. If they were gonna cross over franchises they should have done so by combining Alien with the other Ridley Scott sci-fi masterpiece, Bladerunner. The Android elements feel like a natural connection point.
I saw some (unofficial) Alien chronology graphic the other day that included Blade Runner on it just for time context. I'd buy it!

Honestly the more me and the roomies have discussed Alien Romulus, the more the underutilized the synthetics seem to be. It might be one of the biggest flubs of the new movie (mostly for missed opportunities). Minor gripes in the grand scheme of things. I thought the movie was a blast.

Romulus alright. The call-back legacy sequel bullshit dragged it down hard for me, but it really shines when Alvarez is let loose to go full freak.

8/10 for alien Romulus for me - last 20 mins lost it marks ! Say no more but the best alien film since 1986 - so no complaints and good to see a busy cinema on a Friday afternoon

Last 20 minutes being one of those moments. Actually felt like the movie doing its own thing. Really enjoyed it. Dude just has a knack for gross out horror in this pocket.

Last edited:
Romulus alright. The call-back legacy sequel bullshit dragged it down hard for me, but it really shines when Alvarez is let loose to go full freak.

Last 20 minutes being one of those moments. Really enjoyed it. Dude just has a knack for gross out horror in this pocket.
Also automatic score docking for
reanimating dead actors. It sucked in Star Wars and it sucks in this. Somebody tell Disney to cut that shit out.

Also automatic score docking for
reanimating dead actors. It sucked in Star Wars and it sucks in this. Somebody tell Disney to cut that shit out.
I don’t love it and don’t really care to defend it, but there is something perversely effective about using it in this way, where the revulsion and uncanny valley quality are the entire point. It kinda worked for me at an elemental level, setting aside the ghoulishness of the whole idea.

Back