Movies

I don’t love it and don’t really care to defend it, but there is something perversely effective about using it in this way, where the revulsion and uncanny valley quality are the entire point. It kinda worked for me at an elemental level, setting aside the ghoulishness of the whole idea.
I see where you're coming from, but
even apart from the uncanny valley, and intentional or unintentional perversity of it, it was just unnecessary. It's both gross ethically, and keeps this movie from standing on its own two feet by indebting it as a legacy sequel. Just a weird choice imo, would've liked it more if it was just a new character.

even apart from the uncanny valley, and intentional or unintentional perversity of it, it was just unnecessary. It's both gross ethically, and keeps this movie from standing on its own two feet by indebting it as a legacy sequel. Just a weird choice imo, would've liked it more if it was just a new character.
I agree with you. I’d say most of my issues with the movie stem from its overcommitment to referential fanservice, which kind of undermines a lot of the actually-impressive technical filmmaking on display.

Here's the thing though...
They didn't even need another new character! One of Rook's own lines sets up the idea that there is a whole line of synthetics like Andy. The ship could have simply had its own Andy in place of Rook. Jonsson clearly has the range to pull multiple characterizations. It could have played more strongly into the underused Romulus & Remus theming and added an element of tension if it becomes unclear which is one Rain's side and which one is secretly working on behalf of the company. The whole CGI revival thing was just gross, unneeded, and really misses the trick the could have been the Andy synths.

RIP Alain Delon ☹️

1430233_6632b236b42e9a9988469083_lesamourai_image_01large_82786_crop.jpeg

Okay, The Hot Rock wasn't actually very good. That combination of cast/director/source material should have been a lot more fun.
I think it was on Criterion Channel a couple years back and, yeah, it's not as fun as it promises. Around the same time I watched Lumet's The Anderson Tapes, which is a lot more dynamic iirc:

Back