Movies

Since we're a week away from it being September I'm gonna be getting this years Halloween/Horror thread going again in the next couple of days.
Thank you for your service!

The HoopTober challenge will be posted on Letterboxd tomorrow and usually starts ~Sep. 15, and I've already been earmarking several movies I intend to watch throughout spooky season. Having the N&G thread gives me plenty of reason to watch stuff that doesn't fit the LB challenges.

I might compile a table of recent releases early in your thread that are now/soon on streaming and other titles that catch my eye as being generally hard to find. Already been scouring the upcoming schedules on several streamers and marking key dates in my cal. (I get my neuroses from my mom.)

Longlegs_film_poster.jpg

What did you think? I'm planning to watch this over the next couple months during the 6th Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2024).

I've heard that it's either REALLY good or not so good.

I'm buying the 4K no matter what, as it is releasing Sept 10th.
I thought it was great overall. But agree with ayayrawn that the ending didn't quite land successfully. There was a lot of potential in the story. The build up was great but it sacrificed story depth for vibes too often. The vibe was very solid though and Cage's performance was fantastic. It could have easily taken on a Silence of the Lambs world built around the character of Longlegs and the FBI agent. That would have worked well. But they tried to close the story up in a way that was a bit too predictable and at that point the vibe needed more solid plot building for it to not seem rushed.

I'll definitely be watching it again this season.

What did you think? I'm planning to watch this over the next couple months during the 6th Annual N&G 31 Days* of Halloween (2024).

I've heard that it's either REALLY good or not so good.

I'm buying the 4K no matter what, as it is releasing Sept 10th.
I watched it over the weekend and was disappointed. I didn't know anything about it going in, other than reading comments that praised it highly.

I just found the whole thing to be a let down. I thought Cage's character came across as more of a caricature or comedic than horrifying. The ending to the set ups were lackluster and the "reveal" was a bit bland in my opinion.

Not really sure why its getting the praise it has been.

Alien Romulus was a fun time at the movies. The plot didn't make much sense (how did they get so many facehuggers? how did the pregnant woman know to inject herself with black goo? ), and while the movie is creepy when it's cribbing Alien it's kind of undercut by the action-movie setpieces when it's cribbing from Aliens. The Alien isn't scary in this one!

The methodical winnowing-down of thinly-drawn twenty-somethings felt like a feature when I considered this is a 2020's Fede Alvarez haunted-house movie, but maybe that script could've used a second pass (at one point a character says "don't tell my brother" about a plot development, and I'm still unsure which of those guys was supposed to be her brother). I wasn't necessarily morally outraged by the character people have been bothered by, but their constant presence added a video game feeling to the narrative.

I read a critique that "the characters know they're in an Alien movie," which doesn't seem quite right. It was more like the movie itself felt like we knew it was an Alien movie; when the facehuggers are first revealed there's a dramatic sting that really only plays if you know what a facehugger is, imo.

Back