New Music Friday!

Radar List, 11th October 2024
  • Carnal TombDismembered Flesh (Death)
  • Chat PileCool World (Alternative Metal, Alternative/Indie Rock, Heavy Metal, Noise-Rock, Sludge Metal)
  • The CrownCrown Of Thorns (Death, Thrash)
  • EnvyEunoia (Hardcore, Post Rock, Post-Hardcore)
  • Jenny ScheinmanAll Species Parade (Jazz, Classical, Pop/Rock, Folk, Avant-Garde)
  • Touché AmoréSpiral in a Straight Line (Post-Hardcore, Screamo, Alternative/Indie Rock)
  • Various ArtistsTránsitos Sónicos - Música electrónica y para cinta de compositores peruanos (1964-1984) (Early Electronics, Soundtracks)

Phew, this week looks like I can do some catchup, since there is a long list of releases but very few that immediately pop out to me personally. I'm excited for the new:

ELUCID - REVELATOR
Chat Pile - Cool World

But otherwise I'll be diving back into releases from the last few Fridays that need more attention. For example I've loved new Wild Pink, Trace Mountains, Merce Lemon, and then a few albums I had on in background sounded solid, and I'll look forward to digging in, like Half Waif, Orla Gartland, Vitesse X, Yasmin Williams, Public Service Broadcasting, Neva Dinova, Pale Waves, The Smile.

Don’t think these albums coming out tomorrow have been mentioned yet.

Chris Acker - Famous Lunch (recommended for anyone trying fill the John Prine sized hole in their heart)

Dawes - Oh Brother (First album since the rest of the band left, leaving behind just the Goldsmith brothers)

Teddy & The Rough Riders - DOWNHOME (RIYL Doug Sahm, JJ Cale, The Band)

Radar List for 10.11.24

Błoto – Grzybnia
Chat Pile – Cool World
E L U C I D – Revelator
Joell Ortiz – W.A.R. (With All Respect)
Immanuel Wilkins – Blues Blood
Goat – Goat
La Femme – Rock Machine
David Bowie – “hours…” Remix E.P.
Charli XCX – Brat and it’s completely different but also still brat
Tank and the Bangas – The Heart, The Mind, The Soul
Dua Saleh – I Should Call Them
Seven Hours After Violet – Seven Hours After Violet
The Sword – Live at Levitation

Happy NMF, all! The sophomore LP, Cool World, from Oklahoma quartet Chat Pile dropped today and it absolutely kicks ass. Basically picking up right where they left off on their 2022 debut (which made it into my Top20 for that year), this new album is even heavier, more cacophonous, and seemingly more bleak lyrically. The sludgy, hardcore noise rock style is back and chugging even harder with plenty of riffs and breakdown-esque moments across the 10 tracks, 43-minute runtime. Bassist 'Stin' really goes all out on this record. Highly recommend checking this one out (but it surely won't be for some or most of you..). This one definitely has potential to find a good spot on my year end AOTY list.

Abracadabra, the 🆕 album from French-Canadian art pop songstress, Klô Pelgag is another beautifully crafted collection of songs 😍 and is on par with her previous LP, the critically acclaimed and award winning, Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs!
Her latest project showcases another side of her without sacrificing the pop sensibilities and colourful images she is known to conjure with her profound lyricism. She employs a good dose of synths this time around and experiments with a multitude of genres and sonic elements from new wave and French pop to ambient and video game 🎮 sounds, but her baroque style of music filled with orchestral arrangements 🎹 🎻 still remains. This is not a concept album per se, however, it's an abstract exploration of darkness. But the record is not all doom and gloom. The artist born Chloé Pelletier-Gagnon describes the record as "a quest for the absolute, like a desire to still believe in something." It is clear, Klô Pelgag is a force to reckon with as she continues her trajectory of composing beautiful and evocative music 🎵 making her one of the best of her generation.

Abracadabra, the 🆕 album from French-Canadian art pop songstress, Klô Pelgag is another beautifully crafted collection of songs 😍 and is on par with her previous LP, the critically acclaimed and award winning, Notre-Dame-des-Sept-Douleurs!
Her latest project showcases another side of her without sacrificing the pop sensibilities and colourful images she is known to conjure with her profound lyricism. She employs a good dose of synths this time around and experiments with a multitude of genres and sonic elements from new wave and French pop to ambient and video game 🎮 sounds, but her baroque style of music filled with orchestral arrangements 🎹 🎻 still remains. This is not a concept album per se, however, it's an abstract exploration of darkness. But the record is not all doom and gloom. The artist born Chloé Pelletier-Gagnon describes the record as "a quest for the absolute, like a desire to still believe in something." It is clear, Klô Pelgag is a force to reckon with as she continues her trajectory of composing beautiful and evocative music 🎵 making her one of the best of her generation.
Holy shit, what a write up! You could write for Exclaim!... 🤔 This one is on my list as well and I'm looking forward to getting to it later 🎧

Bruno?

Back