Political Discussion

New rules from GOP-majority election board could cause disarray in battleground Georgia

AtlantaCNN —
The once-wonky Georgia State Election Board has burst into the limelight this year as a new Republican majority – made up of a retired obstetrician, a former state senator who put out feelers for a Trump administration job and a right-wing media personality – push ahead with new rules that could create chaos in November.

The reshaping of the election board in one of the most critical battleground states of 2024 highlights how some Republicans who cast doubt on the 2020 presidential election results have now taken on prominent roles driving election rules and, in some areas, overseeing elections.

With less than two months before Election Day, three Republicans on the five-member board are pushing through new rules that could jeopardize election certification, particularly if Vice President Kamala Harris wins the state, election experts and voting rights groups said.

“They’re not taking the advice of attorneys, they’re not taking the advice of election administrators – who are really critical in this whole calculus – and they’re certainly not listening to anybody who doesn’t think that the elections are rigged,” she said of the three Republicans driving the raft of rule changes.

If this doesn't sum up how the GOP operates these days I don't know what does. I'm assuming this is also happening in other states but just not to the extent of Georgia yet. I fear for the future of election integrity.

“They’re not taking the advice of attorneys, they’re not taking the advice of election administrators – who are really critical in this whole calculus – and they’re certainly not listening to anybody who doesn’t think that the elections are rigged,” she said of the three Republicans driving the raft of rule changes.

If this doesn't sum up how the GOP operates these days I don't know what does. I'm assuming this is also happening in other states but just not to the extent of Georgia yet. I fear for the future of election integrity.
Partisan observers here in NC. I don’t want to know what that really means and did not look at the article. Little one not feeling well. I’m sure I’ll look into it later.

Regarding Trumps advantage…

“He occupies the center. A near majority of voters say Mr. Trump is “not too far” to the left or right on the issues, while only around one-third say he’s “too far to the right.” Nearly half of voters, in contrast, say Ms. Harris is too far to the left; only 41 percent say she’s “not too far either way.””

No one thinks Trump occupies the center or anything.

This has me wondering. If we asked these same Americans about which candidate they thought was facets / a dictator would we get a similar result where more people think Harris is than Trump?

So much craziness in my feed this morning.

First a article about "no, illegal immigrants aren't eating your pets"...

Like wtf?

This crazy ad on my twitter feed:

IMG_1939.PNG

On a related note to the above ad. The Biden administration vowed to veto the SAVE ACT, which is election reform packaged into the budget bill to protect our elections form Illegal immigrants from voting. This could very well cause a stalemate that results in government shutdown and default.

And what angers me is most people in the comments section of the article that reported that Biden would veto this would place all blame on Biden if a shutdown or default should happen. Not on the political games the right are playing...

So much craziness in my feed this morning.

First a article about "no, illegal immigrants aren't eating your pets"...

Like wtf?

This crazy ad on my twitter feed:

View attachment 213219

On a related note to the above ad. The Biden administration vowed to veto the SAVE ACT, which is election reform packaged into the budget bill to protect our elections form Illegal immigrants from voting. This could very well cause a stalemate that results in government shutdown and default.

And what angers me is most people in the comments section of the article that reported that Biden would veto this would place all blame on Biden if a shutdown or default should happen. Not on the political games the right are playing...
Delete Twitter

Today is the primary election in New Hampshire and the Governors seat is on the table. There are primary candidates from both the left and right battling each other and the political ads are endless. We get them in Massachusetts because our Boston news stations also are broadcast in New Hampshire because New Hampshire only has one tv local broadcast station, WMUR which is ABC. So if you are watching Fox, NBC, CBS and what not we get all their ads.

One thing I noticed is the theme of the ads are very much about illegal aliens and abortion. And not in a good way. They are attacking candidates because they support abortions or aren't strict enough on illegal immigration.

Edit: Why don't we ever have ads in the opposite direction. Like so and so is going to take your right to abortion a way or so and so is breaking all international laws for humanity with how they plan to deal with illegal immigration.

Today is the primary election in New Hampshire and the Governors seat is on the table. There are primary candidates from both the left and right battling each other and the political ads are endless. We get them in Massachusetts because our Boston news stations also are broadcast in New Hampshire because New Hampshire only has one tv local broadcast station, WMUR which is ABC. So if you are watching Fox, NBC, CBS and what not we get all their ads.

One thing I noticed is the theme of the ads are very much about illegal aliens and abortion. And not in a good way. They are attacking candidates because they support abortions or aren't strict enough on illegal immigration.

Edit: Why don't we ever have ads in the opposite direction. Like so and so is going to take your right to abortion a way or so and so is breaking all international laws for humanity with how they plan to deal with illegal immigration.
I see a lot of Harris ads about how Trump will ban abortion and also about how dumb fuck lt governor here thinks abortions are because you can’t keep your skirt down and convenience for promiscuity.

Best thing I ever did.
Been off Twitter for over a year now. The only thing I miss is the real time conversation around sports or other, increasingly rare, monoculture events. Like it would be fun to follow along real time while the debate was going on but under Elon’s Twitter, that conversation would have been sullied anyhow. I would love if Blue Sky or Threads would embrace what made Twitter fun and that all reputable journalists would migrate to one or the other platforms but neither are remotely close as of yet.

Been off Twitter for over a year now. The only thing I miss is the real time conversation around sports or other, increasingly rare, monoculture events. Like it would be fun to follow along real time while the debate was going on but under Elon’s Twitter, that conversation would have been sullied anyhow. I would love if Blue Sky or Threads would embrace what made Twitter fun and that all reputable journalists would migrate to one or the other platforms but neither are remotely close as of yet.
I went over to Threads for a bit, and what I found was that it was not a good thing to constantly be plugged into the conversations of the world. It just never stops and you can always tune in. So for that reason, I got rid of Threads too. The same toxic stuff slowly crept in, it's just Twitter/X under another name. People aren't built to be informed of everything everywhere all at once.

Back