Political Discussion

Asheville isn’t a disaster prone area though, so it’s a bad solution there?

Makes sense in Florida or even Boone, but Asheville was considered a climate change haven until stupid storm hit after a week of constant rainfall.

I’d say it was a freak incident BUT climate change means these kind of freak incidents will be more
Common.

I read bout Asheville being considered a climate change haven before. But also, in the same article, they seem to have forgotten that Asheville has flooded like this before in its history. The big difference was it was far less populated the last time it flooded like this and it's been a few generations in-between. I think it was around 100 years ago or something that they last had a great flood like this.

I read bout Asheville being considered a climate change haven before. But also, in the same article, they seem to have forgotten that Asheville has flooded like this before in its history. The big difference was it was far less populated the last time it flooded like this and it's been a few generations in-between. I think it was around 100 years ago or something that they last had a great flood like this.
Yeah a 100 year flood shouldn’t constitute disaster prone. Anywhere can flood like that once in a while. The aide is more meant for places like Florida, the outer banks, California where rebuilding just means it gets knocked down next season.

Yeah a 100 year flood shouldn’t constitute disaster prone. Anywhere can flood like that once in a while. The aide is more meant for places like Florida, the outer banks, California where rebuilding just means it gets knocked down next season.
With climate change though, it very well could not be 100 years again. Also, if the land was completely washed away, does it make sense to truck in dirt and rebuild all that land, or should we let nature claim it?

In the last 100 years, we have had 5 once in a 100 years flooding events here in Salem due to the high tide / storm surge during winter storms.

4 of those flooding events came in the last 5 years. Then you have to go back to the 1970's for the one before. And before that, before records were kept.

My 29 year old daughter and I went away this past weekend. Of course, politics came up as we had about 5 hours together in the car. She told me that her main issue is women's rights. Her second issue is wealth inequality. I've no idea if that's the status quo for her age group, but it seems to be for her friend group.

37 year old checking in to say that wealth inequality and its ripple effects is the #1 issue for most of my friend group (which is roughly 50/50 gender wise). Followed by our funding of Gaza, women's rights and the rise of fascism in some order. Though for the women working in tech who are making very good money, I'm sure abortion is #1 with a bullet.

Last edited:
With climate change though, it very well could not be 100 years again. Also, if the land was completely washed away, does it make sense to truck in dirt and rebuild all that land, or should we let nature claim it?

In the last 100 years, we have had 5 once in a 100 years flooding events here in Salem due to the high tide / storm surge during winter storms.

4 of those flooding events came in the last 5 years. Then you have to go back to the 1970's for the one before. And before that, before records were kept.
That’s my point though, because we have failed to act on climate change,”once in a hundred years” things are happening more often. Where are we all going to move to (which is part of what Asheville
Residents are saying)

Internet issues? Well, TN will be contesting the certification of ballots.

The voting machines were not hooked up to the internet. They were having trouble with the printers that print the ballots you insert into the machine. Anyway I live in a really red county, they certainly will be doing none of that. Now if this was Nashville or Memphis then I am sure they would love to bring that up.

Back