Political Discussion

So apparently, Trump's executive order that required migrants to stay in Mexico until their US immigration court date is the law of the land. The Biden administration revoked that executive order shortly after taking office.

Now a federal judge in Texas has ordered that it has to be put back in place. That ending the policy led to a surge of migrants at the US-Mexico border that inflicted costs to states. Costs like Texas deploying the National Guard to the border which is pointless and all political because the National Guard can't prevent or detain anyone who crosses the border.
The federal judge stated that the administration ended the program improperly. He also issued a stay for his order so the Government could appeal the decision to a higher court. The decision will likely be appealed and while that is happening I would guess they will going about revoking the order in a different way.

In Cali you can steal up to $800 at target and it’s not a problem
I think it was that you could steal up to $950 a day and not be charged with a felony it’s still illegal and you’ll get arrested, fined, and charged with a misdemeanor if the total was less. Prior convictions mattered also.

Anyways, since the Recall election started to heat up, the governor has introduced a bill to allow prosecutors discretion in what to charge a shoplifter with (either a misdemeanor or felony) as a way to help curb organized theft rings that have been taking advantage of the law.

I just saw a article about the Texas governor ordering more mortuary trailers. Does anyone think that the cost of Covid is less expensive to the state than a mask mandate?

I just saw a article about the Texas governor ordering more mortuary trailers. Does anyone think that the cost of Covid is less expensive to the state than a mask mandate?
Americans don't have universal healthcare, guaranteed family paid leave, functioning public transport, or a robust safety net. We NEED our individual freedom! If we don't have that we completely negate the argument against all of the social services listed.

Americans don't have universal healthcare, guaranteed family paid leave, functioning public transport, or a robust safety net. We NEED our individual freedom! If we don't have that we completely negate the argument against all of the social services listed.

The strange contradiction is that they complaint about other people that waste government money because they are not able to be responsible. Don’t they want drug tests to qualify for snap?

People want to return to normal and profiting off of travel again.

They are getting sick of travel restrictions from COVID.

The pushback against this announcement is...vociferous. Anybody else witnessing the same thing at your own work?
Daily.

Our "all-hands" (Company Meetings) have "Dory's" (Question Forums) and they have been HEATED. Everyone on site here needs to be vaccinated by October 1st, including vendors like security staff, logistics, cleaning staff. Most of our Data Centers's are in rural/suburban areas.

All of our Mechanical Maintenance force are good ol' boys. Expert men and women who keep our cooling, power, and all sorts of other physical infrastructure running so we can keep our Servers and Network gear going. But because of their rural echo chambers and upbringing by and large are very much against a mandate.

Many of those who have or will get the vaccine don't believe the company should be allowed to mandate that restriction. But they gloss over the fact that working here is not a right. It's a choice to work here. If you choose not to get vaccinated, you're choosing to no longer work here. No one is forcing anyone to do anything. Will it suck to have to find a new job? Yes, but it's still your choice.

Obviously we have medical and religious exemptions, so we'll see how far people push that. But I know for sure two of my direct coworkers are leaving and I assume a few more. There's going to be a good deal of "attrition" as the management likes to call it.

The pushback against this announcement is...vociferous. Anybody else witnessing the same thing at your own work?

Has the legality of that situation been tested or considered?

I know different jurisdictions, but in general we’re less vociferous about perceived infringement of “rights”, but the prevailing opinion in legal circles is that an employer even enquiring about vaccine status is potentially unlawful. That said we do have worker protections too.

Of course this is all very new law and it’s be interesting to see how a court would choose to frame such legal issues if they come before them.

The situation in Afghanistan is god awful. Especially women.

Under Taliban law women must wear a barka and must be accompanied by a male relative when they leave the house. They are also forbidden to work or go to school.

The Taliban took back Afghanistan so fast many young women didn't have time to buy barkas nor did they have any. Those caught out without a male relative or without a barka are being beaten by the Taliban.

Even CNN journalist, if they are female, need to wear a barka and be accompanied by a male relative to do their job / reporting. They are also fearful that they Taliban will tell them that they can't do their job because they are women.

Back