Pop, Pop, Pop Culture - The SDCC August Spin Challenge!

Day 7: Play something based on a folk tale or fairy tale

The Beach Boys - Mount Vernon & Fairway
IMG_6646.jpeg

Included as a bonus EP with the Mount Vernon & Fairway was a fairytale conceived by Brian Wilson and included as a bonus 7” with Holland (The AP pressing includes it as side A on a second 12”). I am not a big fan personally, it’s the half baked story of a magical transistor radio and narrated by the bands manager, Jack Reilly.

Day 6: Alan Moore has only been to SDCC once, but his presence is everywhere and he’s one who raised comics to a literary level with titles like Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Batman: The Killing Joke, and his League of Extraordinary Gentlemen series. Only familiar with the movie? Pick up the Watchmen graphic novel and be prepared to be blown away.

Play an album that makes you think or look at things differently.

Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription

I've actually never done any drugs (except lots of caffeine)... in fact, I've never even gotten drunk. But I do like to listen to trippy drug-fueled music and let that open some avenues of imagination for me...

1000151066.jpg

Day 8: Play a soundtrack
1000010843.jpg
ALL NEW SONGS FROM THE MOTION PICTURE STREET FIGHTER!!

I was racking my brain trying to figure out if I actually had any soundtracks in my collection and remembered, there was a time in the 90's when shitty movies would drop amazing soundtracks full of rap songs you couldn't get anywhere else!! Listening back I'm not sure amazing applies to all of these songs and the movie is shitty but it's a fun shitty! At least this wasn't just some songs thrown together, most of them are about street fighting, which is kind of nuts!

Day 8: Play a soundtrack

Going with the Big G here. He's a popular guy at Comic Con for obvious reasons. Back in 2013 when the Godzilla movie with Bryan Cranston came out they did an offsite where they took over a building and recreated Tokyo & A Godzilla Attack inside it. An amazing amount of work & technology for a few day installation if you watch the video below. Still one of those experiences that the kids and I talk about.

This particular soundtrack is one my oldest picked up for me for my birthday at Comic Con this year. And if you saw my picture over on the signup thread, you'll be glad to know I survived my encounter.

Takayuki Hattori ~ Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

IMG_0164.jpeg

Day 9: Play a collaboration, the more unexpected the better
1000010858.jpg
Homeboy Sandman & Edan "Humble Pi"

I'm a big fan of Edan and have been waiting for him to drop new music forever and I wasn't familiar with Homeboy Sandman except for a track here or there and maybe hearing his name in passing. I was a little taken aback when I heard about this project, happy that I was going to hear new music from Edan but a little let down he was only producing it. I'm not sure there's any backstory, it seems to be just two guys thrown together that came through with a solid record that at least I wasn't expecting!

Day 09: Play a collaboration, the more unexpected the better.

Sonic Youth - Goo
IMG_6740.jpeg

The collaboration between Sonic Youth and Public Enemy’s Chuck D initially seems a bit unexpected, as The two groups music couldn’t be more different but if you delve a bit further these fellow New Yorkers share an artistic and revolutionary spirit that bonds them together and makes a track like “Kool Thing” inspired by LL Cool J so…cool.

Back