Sutherland Club House

Yeah, I popped off my grilles and played records for a bit, didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary. I’ll do more testing later.
I think part of it is that the larger the woofer, the less excursion is needed, so the smaller the flutter ends up being (at least until you crank the volume).

That said, I went down the rabbithole on the SHF thread about rumble filters and I think for now I'm just going to let sleeping dogs lie.

I think part of it is that the larger the woofer, the less excursion is needed, so the smaller the flutter ends up being (at least until you crank the volume).

That said, I went down the rabbithole on the SHF thread about rumble filters and I think for now I'm just going to let sleeping dogs lie.

I emailed Ron asking if he has any preference for rumble filters. The KAB RF-1 is already on its way to me and I have an order for a platform at Butcher Block as well. I don't think it's acoustic feedback so the BBA probably won't do much but if it solves the problem without the filter being needed then that's a win.

In case any of you Sutherland people has $8k to burn, this is available at Echo HiFi

View attachment 205713
Impressive, no doubt... point of diminishing returns is where I land. Certainly exceeds my threshold, and I ended up parting with my Phono Loco recently due to medical bills.

Joyfully dialed back into Darlington. Pushing 50 now and losing interest in FOMO daily.

"End game" is moving from concept to reality.

Perhaps on speakers, if I got a very generous bonus from work and my kids were out of college. But, who am I kidding - none of that is happening anytime soon!
Even then, if I had the space and funds I can't imagine an 8k speaker that would be so good I'd HAVE to have it. I can maybe see myself getting something like a Luxman or McIntosh, but even those seem to have high cost of ownership if anything breaks. I'd rather spend 8k on records.

Noticed something weird today, sent an email to Ron about it but wondering if anyone here might have any input: my Insight's loading is 100/200/475/1k/47k, while the manual and website (and photos) all show 100/200/1k/2k/47k as loading options. Is this an older configuration or did I get an "oops" unit?

EDIT: already got a response:

"thanks for pointing this out

2k would have been in an earlier run. 2k is not as useful as 475, so we made a change.

in any case, the resistors installed on the board would match the values printed on the board"

Attachments

• IMG_7657.jpg
    IMG_7657.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Noticed something weird today, sent an email to Ron about it but wondering if anyone here might have any input: my Insight's loading is 100/200/475/1k/47k, while the manual and website (and photos) all show 100/200/1k/2k/47k as loading options. Is this an older configuration or did I get an "oops" unit?

EDIT: already got a response:

"thanks for pointing this out

2k would have been in an earlier run. 2k is not as useful as 475, so we made a change.

in any case, the resistors installed on the board would match the values printed on the board"
Mine's also 475, and Ron's right that it's a more useful value than 2K.

In my experience with cartridge loading no matter where you set the loading the sound won’t be audibly degraded. From 100 to 47k ohms there will be noticeable differences if you are listening closely but it won’t actually diminish sound quality. I haven’t heard every cartridge in the world so there may be exceptions to this. My point is, experiment and find what makes you happy. All settings might do that but one particular setting will make you happiest. A good rule of thumb is 10X the cartridge’s internal impedance gets you real close to “correct” loading. Bottom line is listen for what sounds best to you.

Last edited:
In my experience with cartridge loading no matter where you set the loading the sound won’t be audibly degraded. From 100 to 47k ohms there will be noticeable differences if you are listening closely but it won’t actually diminish sound quality. I haven’t heard every cartridge in the world so there may be exceptions to this. My point is, experiment and find what makes you happy. All settings might do that but one particular setting will make you happiest. A good rule of thumb is 10X the cartridge’s internal impedance gets you real close to “correct” loading. Bottom line is listen for what sounds best to you.
Some studies have suggested that changing the resistive loading on a MC impacts volume not FR.

Reactions: OMC
Some studies have suggested that changing the resistive loading on a MC impacts volume not FR.

Having remote control capacitance on my Aesthetix Rhea has been highly instructive in my listening observations regarding the subject. What my old, but experienced, ears hear when flipping through the loading choices is mild frequency tilt and not volume changes. We all hear things differently so I’m not right or wrong, imo.

I get that. We also know our hearing is not linear in that we often perceive of sounds differently at different volume levels. Hence the invention of the “loudness curve” - remember that button we pushed in on the receiver when we wanted to listen to low volume music when everyone else was asleep?

Back