The National

If you got a spare $60 @threesunrises or @Bennnnn this is all you.

Hah. If it was a cooler color maybe. But I already own two copies of this album. One the original black (a birthday gift from my gf when we first started dating), and the big clear vinyl box set. So, thanks for the heads up but I gotta pass.
Completely agree. I've seen video of its performance in Cooperstown - I like the song - but just not thrilled with what I've heard in those 19 seconds.

On a tangential note - I did NOT receive the email from CT with the clip. I've emailed them to ensure that I'm on that specific distribution list since I haven't received multiple emails sent over the past year.

I have heard it live too in a few bootlegs and it sounds great live. I hope the studio version sounds better than that messy snippet.

musically I am not digging it. It feels very modern pop and not really The National sounding at all.
it does sound weirdly overstuffed in a way or something. But I do want to reserve judgement til I hear the whole thing. I mean I’m sure it will grow on me anyway. I’ve been a little down on their singles in the past and wound up coming around on them. But…
The National are a band who I feel doesn't need special guests on albums, although Sufjan was wonderful on Afraid of Everyone.
Pretty much agree.

I think the added vocalists on IAETF were great actually, but generally I don’t want a feature on National song. Sufjan works too because his voice adds texture. Matt’s voice is one of my favorite things about the band…I want more of it not less

Pretty much agree.

I think the added vocalists on IAETF were great actually, but generally I don’t want a feature on National song. Sufjan works too because his voice adds texture. Matt’s voice is one of my favorite things about the band…I want more of it not less
Yeah definitely would not be my choice to have someone like Justin Vernon on a song. His voice is just so distinct and overpowering. I want to hear Matt's wonderful baritone voice when I listen to the National.

Apparently Goose covered Bloodbuzz at Red Rocks last night. Here's a crappy youtube video (screen recording) but if you're a nugs subscriber, you can watch the proshot video. Song starts around the 2:52 mark on nugs.

Ooh I’m excited to hear this. Goose are a great band. They also might end up putting this full show up on YouTube for free some weeks or days down the line. It’ll also be on their Bandcamp soon.

I think there is a segment of National fans who are fighting the realization that we’re old now. Being able to nod along to really well-made, even-tempered adult contemporary National songs is a blessing we shouldn’t take for granted. :p

It is better than that snippet made it sound like, but I still don’t really need Justin Vernon on the chorus, it makes it sound a little messy or something. Like Matt and his voices don’t mesh super well together.

That said, I do love Matt’s vocals on here. The looped drum beat is a bit disappointing as I always want more Bryan, but it’s fine I guess. It really does sound like a blending of SWB and IAETF. The live versions I’ve heard are a bit better, but of the four new ones they’ve been playing I wouldn’t have thought this would be the first single.

So many of The National songs I think I don’t like much wind up winning me over over time. Hell, I hated England for about a decade before it finally worked for me. Now I can’t get enough of it. I’m not saying Weird Goodbyes is a bad song. It definitely has a nice flow, and I like what lyrics I can make out a lot. But the piano chords + drum loop sound just a little to similar to a couple of other songs they’ve made recently-ish.

What is interesting is their instagram caption which says it is

“one of several new songs we’ve been playing this summer that may be part of our new album we are close to finishing - more about that soon!”

Just random theory time. I do wonder if only one of the new songs will actually be on the album proper. Like maybe they will do a slow drip of one-off singles for the next few months before dropping the album. I could see a deluxe version tacking one the singles. But maybe they won’t be a major part of it?

In any case, more about that soon? I hope it’s real soon, but I can’t help but think it’ll be over a month before we hear another word on it.

After they officially announced this is part of a proper album, my suspicion of a slow drip, non-conventional roll out subsided a ton. IMO, it sounds like they’re reserving the creative right to fine tune the final track listing up until the day the vinyl needs to be ordered.

The looped drum beat is a bit disappointing as I always want more Bryan
this is my biggest beef. I do not like The National with artificial drums. On SWB there was some drum beats but they were more subtle or not replacing the drums completely. This drum beat in the new song is not subtle at all, the piano (which reminds me of "Guilty Party" actually) is not strong enough to overpower the beat throughout the whole song. After a few listens I think it sounds more like Bon Iver than The National. I hope other songs without a collaborator don't sound similar to this one.

this is my biggest beef. I do not like The National with artificial drums. On SWB there was some drum beats but they were more subtle or not replacing the drums completely. This drum beat in the new song is not subtle at all, the piano (which reminds me of "Guilty Party" actually) is not strong enough to overpower the beat throughout the whole song. After a few listens I think it sounds more like Bon Iver than The National. I hope other songs without a collaborator don't sound similar to this one.
Yeah at first with SWB I was buummed because i love Bryan’s drumming so much, but the more I got into it the more I realized how much more was going on. Like on Empire Line, there’s a very clear programmed drum beat but the way it winds up into a cathartic release of live drums alongside the programmed ones is amazing. This song kinda needs a release like that.

It kind of reminds me of Big Red Machine, which I like. Really loved the last LP. But I wasn’t a fan at all of the last Bon Iver album. I tried so many times…I think it sucks.

Back