The National

Moon Drop Light. I liked it.
Solid show last night, my 40th and a hometown gig for me.
I'm far from a The National superfan. I'm not super familiar with all their stuff and I believe this was only my second time seeing them, the first being at Forest Hills for the SWB tour, I definitely thought last night's show was significantly better.

I'm far from a The National superfan. I'm not super familiar with all their stuff and I believe this was only my second time seeing them, the first being at Forest Hills for the SWB tour, I definitely thought last night's show was significantly better.
The energy last night was palpable. I was with a friend I met at Forest Hills and she said the same thing... there was electricity in the air. Obviously, it's a far more intimate setting than Forest Hills - that room has such history - it was so special to me to see them there. I was hoping we'd get Morning Dew or Peggy-O last night, but had to be satisfied with 8-10 bars of Bird Song which was a pleasant surprise.

1664028910381.jpeg

The energy last night was palpable. I was with a friend I met at Forest Hills and she said the same thing... there was electricity in the air. Obviously, it's a far more intimate setting than Forest Hills - that room has such history - it was so special to me to see them there. I was hoping we'd get Morning Dew or Peggy-O last night, but had to be satisfied with 8-10 bars of Bird Song which was a pleasant surprise.

View attachment 152261
my wife and I were with 2 other couples last night, all of us were at The National at FH as well, and we all felt that the show and energy was so much better last night.

I love Capitol Theater, I wish there were more shows going on there that I wanted to go to (Johnny Depp is playing there next week? no thanks)

and what an amazing picture you caught! I love it! though I did feel that the crowd sing-along of Vanderlyle at Forest Hills felt way more organic, it almost felt like there venue had cut the sound and they just kept rolling with it and the crowd carried them... but maybe it was designed to feel that way or in simply remembering it wrong. but last night Matt simply turned the mic to the crowd and we all knew it was coming...

I had a great time last night, but that 2017 Forest Hills show is one of my favorite concerts.

I had a great time last night, but that 2017 Forest Hills show is one of my favorite concerts.
I loved all three Forest Hills shows, the one in 2017 and the two nights of There's No Leaving New York in 2018.

That 2017 show was very special as I was there with my two daughters. During Vanderlyle, Matt was walking on the rail, and we were all holding him up. He decided to jump into the crowd and ended up between me and one of my daughters. Here's my video from that night - it was such a surreal experience.

my wife and I were with 2 other couples last night, all of us were at The National at FH as well, and we all felt that the show and energy was so much better last night.

I love Capitol Theater, I wish there were more shows going on there that I wanted to go to (Johnny Depp is playing there next week? no thanks)

and what an amazing picture you caught! I love it! though I did feel that the crowd sing-along of Vanderlyle at Forest Hills felt way more organic, it almost felt like there venue had cut the sound and they just kept rolling with it and the crowd carried them... but maybe it was designed to feel that way or in simply remembering it wrong. but last night Matt simply turned the mic to the crowd and we all knew it was coming...
We saw that Aaron had his Vanderlyle guitar but it seemed as if they weren't going to do it. A minute later, Matt asked Aaron if they wanted to do it and that's when they turned the mics around.

Didn’t take many photos tonight. This is the end of my tour, not making the trip up to Bridgeport tomorrow. Rumor is the band is or was staying in the same hotel as I am!

sound was bad on the rail, Bryans‘s bass drum was so loud, I was afraid my eardrum was going to blow out. I could feel it in my chest and I swear, my hair blew around every time he hit the pedal on his bass drum.

Still, I had a great time and am glad I made the trip. (I was considering blowing it off since I was tired from the Port Chester show.)

1664082592276.jpeg

I found the full Port Chester show online (not super great quality, unsurprisingly), and Moon Drop Light might be top 2 of the best new songs they've played this tour. I'm excited to see if it makes the cut for the album.

I love this band and I liked the single but I’m kind of bummed at the rollout (or lack of) around the impending new record. 95% sure it’s because I am still out of the live concert game and I didn’t get my National dopamine hit from the new single + live show pairing but still wish there was more going on.

I love this band and I liked the single but I’m kind of bummed at the rollout (or lack of) around the impending new record. 95% sure it’s because I am still out of the live concert game and I didn’t get my National dopamine hit from the new single + live show pairing but still wish there was more going on.
Maybe we'll get an actual announcement within the next month? I am still clinging to their original statement that it would probably be out early next year. I for one at this point am hoping Weird Goodbyes is a one-off. I enjoy it, but I don't love it the way I do some of the other ones they've played live (notably Ice Machines and Tropic Morning News). Fortunately I did see them live and it helped reignite that fire for my intense anticipation.

Back