The National

It’s a common misconception that the album is the National but the National is the band. The album is the National’s album.

I am reminded slightly of Radiohead’s A Moon Shaped Pool rollout though. I remember the mail they sent out. Then they blacked out their website. Then they posted two different snippets of the first two songs and the videos. Then they announced it all. It felt so slow but it was less than I think even one week or two weeks? So maybe something soon. Very soon.
Tru, but the timeframe from Burn the Witch to AMSP dropping was literally a month. Weird Goodbyes came out 5 months ago, and they've been playing several of these songs since last Summer. And they're STILL teasing.

This is just personal opinion, but protracted rollouts dampen my excitement for albums. I eventually just start ignoring all promo until whenever it comes out. That's not to say the album won't still be good though.
Fair enough! I don't mind it as long as the album drops within a couple of months following the album announcement 🙂

This is just personal opinion, but protracted rollouts dampen my excitement for albums. I eventually just start ignoring all promo until whenever it comes out. That's not to say the album won't still be good though.
I think an album rollout should tell you something or show you something useful. This is a “tease” which doesn’t placate the fans. If they weren’t going to announce the album today at least announce a single and say “this’ll be on our new album later this year” like how Daughter did it earlier. But they also need to follow up with a full announcement soon after. The rollout they did for SWB and IAETF was good imo. First single with album announcement, then each update had a new single from the album. That’s what people tend to expect.

I think an album rollout should tell you something or show you something useful. This is a “tease” which doesn’t placate the fans. If they weren’t going to announce the album today at least announce a single and say “this’ll be on our new album later this year” like how Daughter did it earlier. But they also need to follow up with a full announcement soon after. The rollout they did for SWB and IAETF was good imo. First single with album announcement, then each update had a new single from the album. That’s what people tend to expect.
Yeah, this teaser would be great if we didn't know anything was coming. We've known about a new album for awhile now, so I'd have hoped for more concrete info.

They should have an email list called the National Clues Club for fans who want to do scavenger hunts, hear non-spoilery teasers, and see teaser art before the band starts sharing new songs and releases the album.

They should have an email list called the National Clues Club for fans who want to do scavenger hunts, hear non-spoilery teasers, and see teaser art before the band starts sharing new songs and releases the album.

Do the Blues Clues theme song and release it on a flexi disc for all the members?

Ugh stupid Reddit got me all hyped up. I am disappointed because they teased a tease basically. Like if there was no built up and they just posted that video then I wouldn’t feel this way? That said, it is still very exciting cause we know it’s coming. It’s just more waiting before we know anything else.

What’s the significance of Frankenstein?

Also the second song teased in that password protected video is Tropic Morning News and it sounds very much like the live versions.

I am not a Taylor Swift fan at all, but I saw someone posted somewhere that she does things like this: you need to search for clues to song titles etc. No idea if that's true, but if so, her influence is seriously evident on the band (Aaron!) and their upcoming releases.

Frankenstein confuses me. No idea what the connection might be.

Tropic Morning News was great live. I'm very excited for the finished album, I really liked all of the songs I've heard (even in their unfinished states)

Yeah, this teaser would be great if we didn't know anything was coming. We've known about a new album for awhile now, so I'd have hoped for more concrete info.
I agree 100%. They've been playing new songs on tour and released a whole goddamn song already that will probably be on the album. If this was the very, very, very first we've heard of any new music since IAETF then it'd make more sense.

It’s a common misconception that the album is the National but the National is the band. The album is the National’s album.

Frankenstein = The National

People thinking his creation, the monster, is named Frankenstein = People thinking their creation, the album, is named The National

^ I’m teasing and confusing National fans with the most tepid and tenuous of pay-offs like my name is Matt, Aaron, Bryce, Scott, and Bryan.

I am not a Taylor Swift fan at all, but I saw someone posted somewhere that she does things like this: you need to search for clues to song titles etc. No idea if that's true, but if so, her influence is seriously evident on the band (Aaron!) and their upcoming releases.

Frankenstein confuses me. No idea what the connection might be.

Tropic Morning News was great live. I'm very excited for the finished album, I really liked all of the songs I've heard (even in their unfinished states)
I am a Taylor Swift fan and yes she does do stuff like that. But I've never been that deep into it to pay attention to that stuff or care much. She drops hints and things and people obsesses over it. But a lot of those fans obsess over the most innocuous things that end up meaning nothing.

Tru, but the timeframe from Burn the Witch to AMSP dropping was literally a month. Weird Goodbyes came out 5 months ago, and they've been playing several of these songs since last Summer. And they're STILL teasing.
Yeah I think the Weird Goodbyes release threw me because I naturally expected the album was coming soon, but pretty quickly after that they said in interviews that they weren't done with it yet. It would make more sense to me if that song isn't on the album at all.

Oh actually considering all the song titles and features are in the text of the pages of the book (from the teaser video) I guess Weird Goodbyes really isn't on the album, and it is only 11 tracks.

Yeah I think the Weird Goodbyes release threw me because I naturally expected the album was coming soon, but pretty quickly after that they said in interviews that they weren't done with it yet. It would make more sense to me if that song isn't on the album at all.
I read something yesterday - it was an older article - need to dig through history - but it was an interview and I think it was Aaron who said they had a bunch of songs ready for the new album and Weird Goodbyes was going to be one of them.

It has to be on the new record, and if not, they need to release it as a 7"

For the record, I was totally underwhelmed when I first heard it, but seeing it live and then listening to it pretty much incessantly when we had to put my beautiful sweet dog down made me really connect with it and I love it now.

Back