The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 15 - That extra space on the tape
Did you ever take the time to plan out a mixtape? You get a nice TDK High Output D90 cassette, write out two lists of songs, careful to add song durations up to fill out the 45 minutes of each side, and then you get to work with the dubbing. But when you get all of your songs on that first side, you realize there is still a bunch of tape remaining. There was always extra space. Often minutes. So you scramble to find the perfect song to squeeze into that space…
Play an album with a great side-1 ender track.

Portishead - Dummy

To close out the first side of this album and of my mix, "Wandering Star."

1000074033-jpg.192553

The mix so far:

Last edited:
Day 16 – Not enough space on the tape
What do you mean the single isn’t on the album? Play an album that didn’t include, at least upon initial release of the album, a single – or specific mix of a single - released around the same time (or play that single instead).

David Bowie - ChangesOneBowie (John, I’m Only Dancing)
John was released as a single after Starman in 1972, but was not included on Ziggy Stardust. This was most likely because RCA would not release it in the US due to the lyrics. The song would not appear on an lp until ChangesOneBowie in 1976. And even then some early pressings of this first Bowie hits compilation used the wrong version (aka the sax version).

There are multiple versions recorded, including a version from early 1973 that was recorded for Aladdin Sane, which was later known as the sax version as a saxophone section was added after the initial recording. No one knows how but the sax version was released as a single in April 1973, using the same catalogue number and B-side with no indication it was a different version, before being added to early pressings of Changesonebowie. As well, while on tour for Ziggy Stardust 1972 he recorded another version in Chicago with Lou Reed on guitar but this has never been released.
IMG_0514.jpeg

Day 14 - The single band mixtape
“Oh yeah. I made a very good mixtape of Sting.” (Eat Pray Love, directed by Ryan Murphy, 2010)
When you really liked an artist, you often wanted to listen to more than just the albums. Maybe you also wanted your friends to check them out. So, you went through your collection and created a mix of your favorites. And you throw in a few deep cuts, B-sides and remixes in there too, because it’s all good. In that context, I remember also going to friend’s houses to compile tracks from my favorite bands off 12” singles I didn’t have.
Play a greatest hits or compilation album by a single artist.

IMG_9658.JPG

Playlist
Social Distortion - Cold Feelings
Led Zeppelin - Friends
The Beatles - I’ve Just Seen a Face
Nina Simone - Feeling Good
Waylon Jennings - Gold Dust Woman
The Gourds - Gin and Juice
Steve Earle - Burnin' it Down
My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves
Tom Waits - 9th and Hennepin
Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio - Between the Mustard and the Mayo
Joni Mitchell - Nancy Whiskey
Antonio Carlos Jobim - Sabia
Rolling Stones - Bitch
The Doors - Not to Touch the Earth

Day 17 – Bootlegs
Cassettes were used to tape live concerts to create bootleg tapes that would be traded among fans.
Play a live album, with imaginary bonus points if the album was obtained via a trade.

Bravo @Turbo for using bootleg in the correct context. I hear bootleg used as the term for counterfeit copies of official releases a lot these days. These aren't bootlegs - they're counterfeit knock offs. A bootleg is an unauthorized live recording.

I've been a taper since the mid 80s. I got into it because I recognized live music was what separated the real musicians from the poseurs. If a band could deliver the goods live without the use of all the studio gadgetry, they were my people. And when I heard them play live, I wanted to be able to relive it again and again. I've never listened to a tape of a show without discovering something I didn't hear in the moment.

As my taping years progressed. I became just as much about helping the band as helping myself. I discovered some artists were open to this taping thing and would even guestlist you if you'd put in the work to record and post so others could freely absorb the music. And it is work to produce a good live recording - investing in the gear, scouting the room to uncover the good and bad aspects, agonizing over getting the best possible capture, becoming a mute after you hit 'record', mastering, splitting tracks, converting to FLAC and uploading for the world to enjoy. Can't count the thousands of hours I've invested over the decades. For the most part, I've loved every one.

Less than 3 weeks ago marked the 5th anniversary of the loss of Neal Casal. I'm going with one of my recordings for my mixtape as well as feature a live record.

Taped this 13 years ago the 2nd time I saw Chris Robinson Brotherhood. Neal plays arguably the most beautiful guitar solo I ever witnessed on this take of Star Or Stone.

I can't tell you how many times I've listened to this recording. Every single nuance and note, memorized. It saddens me so much knowing the man who created this sublimely beautiful moment for us lived his life in such internal pain.

Thanks for everything, Neal. I hope you finally found peace.

Chris Robinson Brotherhood - Betty's S.F. Blends Volume One

IMG_6499.jpeg

Day 17 – Bootlegs
Cassettes were used to tape live concerts to create bootleg tapes that would be traded among fans.
Play a live album, with imaginary bonus points if the album was obtained via a trade.

I still have a few Dead shows on cassette from back in the day. And bunch of CDs aquired via B&P. As Neil sings in Union Man, Live Music Is Better.

Always searching for that magical moment like the version of Bad on this album where you can just get lost.

U2 ~ Wide Awake in America

IMG_0984.jpeg

Day 17 – Bootlegs

King Curtis "Live At Fillmore West"
(1971 Atco; 2021 club reissue)
Adding the cover of "Whole Lotta Love" to the mix for an instrumental break.

IMG_1842.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love"

Day 17 – Bootlegs

I have hundreds of 'bootleg' records, but all now are digital

Mark Lanegan Band - Live in Dusseldorf (Atmosphere)
When Mark toured he would sell ‘bootleg’ cds (and sometimes vinyl) of his live shows. Though I got to see him twice, both times he had sold out of any of these cds. Now they sell for big $$$. Luckily you can find them all online if you know where to look. This show is one of my favourites because of his cover of Joy Division’s Atmosphere. Yet another selection that you cannot stream, so suck it everyone who says you can stream everything.
IMG_0515.jpg

Mark joining Peter Hook for a cover of Joy Divisions Atmosphere in 2016

Day 15 - That extra space on the tape
Did you ever take the time to plan out a mixtape? You get a nice TDK High Output D90 cassette, write out two lists of songs, careful to add song durations up to fill out the 45 minutes of each side, and then you get to work with the dubbing. But when you get all of your songs on that first side, you realize there is still a bunch of tape remaining. There was always extra space. Often minutes. So you scramble to find the perfect song to squeeze into that space…
Play an album with a great side-1 ender track.

This was a fun one, the prompt go me to do some searching, break away from my usual go-to albums.

The Police - Demolition Man

IMG_9660.JPG

Day 16 – Not enough space on the tape
“So, I've been making her a mix tape so she will know how I feel.”
The song is just about to finish and the recorder snaps off as the cassette runs out of tape.
Ah, shit.”
– Charlie’s voice-over, as he is sitting in his room creating a mixtape on his double tape deck, The Perks of Being a Wallflower (directed by Stephen Chbosky, 2012).
…and sometimes, there just isn’t enough space to fit the perfect song you want on the tape.
What do you mean the single isn’t on the album? Play an album that didn’t include, at least upon initial release of the album, a single – or specific mix of a single - released around the same time (or play that single instead).

Aesop Rock - Daylight EP

The single "Daylight," which also appears on the album Labor Days, is immediately followed by its dark inversion, "Night Light," a remix with lyrics that play off and negate the lyrics of the title track.

1000152190.jpg

Last edited:
Day 17 – Bootlegs

King Curtis "Live At Fillmore West"
(1971 Atco; 2021 club reissue)
Adding the cover of "Whole Lotta Love" to the mix for an instrumental break.
Somehow this reissue completely passed by me. Damn, I really don’t wanna have to subscribe again… :LOL: 😭 never mind, apparently they're getting rid of international subscriptions so I won't have to worry about that lmfao

Last edited:
Day 18 - Audio code for computers
Play something that makes you think of video games, preferably classic 80’s games. Or play something electronic.

Blur "Parklife"
(1994 EMI; 2018 reissue)
Jubilee has videogame samples in it and it's going next in the mix.

IMG_1844.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love"
18. Blur "Jubilee"

Play something that makes you think of video games, preferably classic 80’s games. Or play something electronic.

The Light Disc / Identity Disc used for this single is an iconic image from Tron. The Disc Battle from the original Tron was used as the focus of the 1983 Video Game Discs of Tron, which is now free to play on the Internet Archive. Adding End of Line to the mix.

Daft Punk ~ Translucence

IMG_0991.jpeg

One of the long-forgotten uses for cassette tapes is as a medium to save computer programs. The first personal computer I owned was a Texas Instruments Ti-99/4A, which didn’t actually have any built-in hard drive of any sort to save your work. Sure, there was a cartridge slot for various games (I had a few – I especially remember a Space Invaders clone). But to keep the basic-programming language games I would create (yes, I’d program my own games in basic); I’d use this tape recorder that was attached to the Ti-99/4A where the programs would be saved in a sort of audio code reminiscent of old modem call-up sounds.

Fellow Cassette Deck survivor here. My first setup was a Atari 400 with 16k RAM connected to an Atari 410 tape deck that looked like the image below, taken appropriately enough from the "fuck im old" subreddit.

1726681531990.png

Back