The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Fellow Cassette Deck survivor here. My first setup was a Atari 400 with 16k RAM connected to an Atari 410 tape deck that looked like the image below, taken appropriately enough from the "fuck im old" subreddit.

View attachment 213921

Damn, this made me look for old photos of what my setup looked like and I found this. Imagine a skinny geeky 12 year old instead of the creepy bearded guy. It amazing how massive every piece of equipment was. The crt monitor isn’t even pictured.

1726685080428.jpeg

Day 16 – Not enough space on the tape
Play an album that didn’t include, at least upon initial release of the album, a single

Dinosaur Jr. - Bug
IMG_9458.jpeg
I imagine a few kids were disappointed in 1989 when they went to pick up the most recent Dinosaur Jr. album and discover that their fantastic cover of The Cure’s “Just Like Heaven” was no where to be found. The good news is there are plenty of other fantastic songs on the album that they probably weren’t bummed out for too long.

Day 17 – Bootlegs
Play a live album, with imaginary bonus points if the album was obtained via a trade.

MJ Lenderman And The Wind - Live And Loose!
IMG_9459.jpeg
Currently the only physical release of this killer live album is the cassette tape. Lenderman goes full Crazy Horse and really fleshes out so of his early more lo-fi tunes with a full band in a live setting.
“Someone Get The Grill Out Of The Rain” in particular hits much harder in live.

Last edited:
Day 18 - Audio code for computers
Play something that makes you think of video games.

Radiohead - OK Computer
IMG_9460.jpeg
OK Computer because…well… “Computer”.

I will add that me and my friends spent many hours in 1997 listening to this CD while hunting each other down in Golden Eye for N64. We also discovered weed around that same time. It was a good time to be a kid.

Back