The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 17 – Bootlegs
Cassettes were used to tape live concerts to create bootleg tapes that would be traded among fans.
Play a live album, with imaginary bonus points if the album was obtained via a trade.

Four Tet - Live at Alexandra Palace London, 24 May 2023

2 hours of music divided into only 6 tracks... so for the sake of the mix I'm throwing in the single version of "Mango Feedback" instead of the much longer live version from this show.

1000152228.jpg

Day 19 – Fast-Forward and Rewind
Play an album you feel must be listened to in its entirety.

David Bowie - Blackstar (song - Girl Loves Me)

Not quite sure what to make of this prompt as I rarely will only play one side of a record. But I think if there ever is an album that must be played start to finish, it is this one. Also, I think this record gets played at least once every monthly challenge.
IMG_0517.jpeg

Day 16 – Not enough space on the tape

Kendrick Lamar – Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers
1000008730.jpg

5 days before this album dropped, Kung-Fu Kenny dropped an absolutely incredible video for "The Heart Part 5" but when the album dropped on Friday it was nowhere to be found. Eventually it would be a bonus track on streaming platforms, but there's still no sign of it on wax.

Day 19 – Fast-Forward and Rewind
Play an album you feel must be listened to in its entirety.

Gorillaz "Demon Days"
(2005 Parlophone; 2017 club reissue)
Great singles but I feel the record must be listened to as a whole for its dark themes reflecting the post-9/11 world to be fully appreciated. It's kind of a no-brainer to follow-up Blur with Gorillaz, but I want to take the mixtape back to some funkiness, so going with crowd-pleaser Dare for the next track.

IMG_1845.JPG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"
7. War "The Cisco Kid"
8. Bob Marley & The Wailers "Roots Rock Reggae"
9. MC Solaar "Interlude"
10. Kaytranada "Dance Dance Dance Dance"
11. The Brooks "Drinking"
12. Les Rita Mitsouko "Andy"
13. INXS "Need You Tonight"
14. David Bowie "Fame"
15. Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"
16. The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
17. King Curtis "Whole Lotta Love"
18. Blur "Jubilee"
19. Gorillaz "Dare"

Track 16

IMG_5256.jpeg

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Song - Silver Springs

IMG_5254.jpeg

Look I tried really hard not to play this album but I had no other options. A lot of the ideas I had for today were albums/songs I don’t have (Gambino’s “This is America” and Paak’s “Bubblin”), artists I already played this month (Father John Misty’s “Real Love Baby”) or even an album/song I already played this month (ABBA’s “Gimme, Gimme, Gimme”). I truly had no other options.

That being said this is the perfect track for today. I can not believe this song was cut, I understand why it was but it’s so insane. Rumours is a 10/10 album but it could have been like a 11/10 album with this song on it

Day 20 – The old well-worn favorite mixtape
Play something that has stayed on constant rotation for you over the years.

You know the great thing about great music - great music never stops being great no matter when it was created.

Discovered this record in 1974 and bought my first copy the same year...

The Who - Who's Next

IMG_6517.jpeg

You know the great thing about great music - great music never stops being great no matter when it was created.

Discovered this record in 1974 and bought my first copy the same year...

The Who - Who's Next

View attachment 214059

Dammit D ya scooped me again

Back home since late Wednesday night...just now remembering to continue along.

Day 7 - Copyright infringement
Play something that references skirting of the law, preferably for noble reasons.

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico

20240920_110959.jpg

"I'm Waiting for the Man," "Run, Run, Run," and "Heroin" at least, but not for honorable agendas.

Yep, pretty much since the day it was released. And definitely since the day that Neil came out w/ Pearl Jam at the MTV thing to play RITFW with them.

Adding Don't Cry to the mix, has that sense of raw catharsis needed to follow up Björk.

Neil Young ~ Freedom

IMG_1010.jpeg

Track 20 (Holy shit I can’t believe I actually caught up!!)

IMG_5262.jpeg

Paramore - All We Know is Falling
Song - Pressure

My history with this band has been a long and wild ride. I first heard this song on the Sims 2 soundtrack in like 2006, thing is it was all in simlish so I had no idea it was a real song, but even then I loved it. After I started listening to modern album Paramore was one of the first ones I got into and I re found this song. At the time my 3 favorite bands were Cage the Elephant, Panic! At the Disco and Paramore, and of the 3 Paramore was probably the one I was least into. Now they are the only ones of the 3 still putting out amazing albums. Over 10 years I’ve been a fan of them and it’s never been a more exciting time to be a fan of them

Back