The Return of The Mixtape - the September 2024 Spin Challenge!

Day 5 - Normal and High Bias
There were four types of cassettes, all comprising some sort of magnetic coating on a polyester strip. Type one is Normal Bias and include ferric oxide. The others are High Bias, with type 2 being a chrome tape, type 3 a ferro-chrome-cobalt mix and type 4 being a “metal” tape. There were extra notches on top of the cassettes to help players tell them apart (part of and in addition to the erase-protection notch).
All this talk of metals can only mean one thing… play something “metallic”.

Jesu - Silver

For the title track, obviously!

1000151830.jpg

ok! this month’s theme is so great and totally on brand for me, a devoted mixtape maker who’s been out of the game too long!

only problem is i knew right away what track 1 needed to be, but i needed to order the wax. record came in today so i’m getting a late start but feeling the inspiration for something epic!

our space capsule:
IMG_1070.jpeg

IMG_1072.jpeg
all systems are go…

Day 1 - The opening track
DJ Format feat. Edan - Spaceship Earth
IMG_1076.jpeg

had to blast off with an unearthly invocation from my personal mix hero, Edan. peep his insta for some jaw-dropping vinyl skills. he’s also one of the best ever to do it on the mic in my personal firmament, as this guest feature attests. setting a course for 90 minutes of fuzzed-up, consciousness-expanding astro sounds…

Day 2 - Track two
Rodion G.A. - “Rozalia”
IMG_1077.jpeg

rodion g.a. is known for his DIY electronic soundtracks for 70s animated children’s shows in Romania. track 2 on this obscure collection features combines clunky, heavy beats with spectral synths, like a lumbering starship struggling to pierce the stratosphere.

Last edited:
Day 3 - Sequence it how you want it
Play an album that has been released with different tracklists.
101 Strings - Astro-Sounds From Beyond The Year 2000 - “Trippin’ on Lunar 07”
1725603151395.jpeg

An all-time spaceploitation classic, this 1968 bargain-bin favorite features generic beat-group instrumentals overdubbed with mind-altering strings and phase effects. Also released without overdubs and with a different track list as “The Animated Egg.”

Day 4 - Philips
Play something released on Philips records.
Jorge Ben - A Tábua de Esmeralda - “Errare Humanum Est”
IMG_1087.jpeg
Philips dominated the Brazilian pop music market, so of course I had to pull out one of the showstoppers from my MPB collection here, an original 1974 Philips pressing of one of my favorite LPs of all time. “Errare Humanum Est” is maybe the most profound tune inspired by the space programs? A must-hear-before-you-leave-the-earth kinda recording.

Day 6 - Mixtape downloads

Scarface - The Fix

Despite a few lyrics that are upsetting to me, this has been one of my favorite hip hop albums since it came out. My Block has been a regular feature on far too many of my mixtapes but it's so damn good that I'm doing it again.

IMG20240906093401.jpg
Hemotep's September '24 Mix Tape

1. Dinosaur Jr. - Feel The Pain [1994]
  2. Soul Asylum - Homesick (unplugged) [1992/1993]
  3. Grateful Dead - Black Muddy River [1987]
  4. Sir Douglas Quintet - It Was Fun While It Lasted (live) [1981]
  5. El Groupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Warren Oates [2009]
  6. Scarface - My Block [2002]

Play an album that was originally available as a mixtape download, or play/stream a mixtape download. Or play some old-school hip-hop.

Theophilus London "I Want You"
(2010 self-released, digital)
Wanted to play this little gem of a mixtape from 2010 so I could get the fantastic Flying Overseas onto the mix.

IMG_1813.PNG

1. Thundercat "Oh Sheit it's X"
2. ABC "Poison Arrow"
3. Elvis Costello "The Beat"
4. Serge Gainsbourg "Requiem Pour Un Twisteur"
5. Camp Lo "Nicky Barnes aka It's Alright"
6. Theophilus London feat. Solange and Devonté Hinds "Flying Overseas"

Play an album that was originally available as a mixtape download, or play/stream a mixtape download. Or play some old-school hip-hop.

Going slightly off script here, and playing something off a non-downloaded mixtape. This cassette is at least 30 years old, I don't even remember who made it for me. But some great tracks on it, including Running Up That Hill and T'Paus Heart and Soul which I remember really liking at the time.

Bonus playlist added from the tape tracklist, used the mixtape name for it.

Kate Bush ~ Hounds of Love

IMG_0705.jpeg

Day 5 - Normal and High Bias
All this talk of metals can only mean one thing… play something “metallic”.

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

20240906_104349.jpg

🎵Sound of silver, talk to me🎵
🎵Makes you want to feel like a teenager🎵
🎵Until you remember the feelings of🎵
🎵A real life emotional teenager🎵
🎵Then you think again🎵

Run The Jewels – Run The Jewels 3
1000008367.jpg

These guys almost broke the internet when they surprise released this as a free download on Christmas Eve in 2016. They very much did crash their own website because traffic was too heavy! "Thursday in the Danger Room" best suits my current mood and the current state of my mixtape.

Charli XCX - Pop 2

20240906_114327.jpg

The second of her two mixtapes from 2017. A cultural pop reset! Seeing the feature list now, it's an all star lineup of pop talent: Carly Rae Jepsen, Caroline Polachek, Dorian Electra, Tove Lo, among others.
The mixtape (along with Number 1 Angel) was bundled as a 2xLP for a limited release in 2018. Reissued in 2022 for the five-year anniversary with alternate artwork.
It has remained my favorite project of hers since I first heard it back in 2018.

Day 3 - Sequence it how you want it

Play an album that has been released with different tracklists. Alternatively, play something that you think is badly sequenced.

This is the UK version which includes the songs »Protex Blue«, »Cheat«,»Deny« und »48 Hours«, which are not on the US version.

The Clash - The Clash

IMG_0042.jpeg

The mixtape so far:

1 - Art Brut - Formed a Band
2 - The Saints - Lost and Found
3 - The Clash - Hate & War

Return of the Grievous Angel (Gram Parsons tribute album) - Wilco - 100 Years from Now

The 90s were a heyday for tribute albums. Some were good, most were crap and about 3/4s had a song by the Mock Turtles. Two that are still great and infinitely replayable is this one and the Neil Young Bridge tribute album. The Wilco song here is one of my favourites.
IMG_0487.jpeg

Back