The Super Thread - All Things Marvel/DC/Etc

I had only watched Hawkeye prior to last week but finally watched both WandaVision and Loki and found both to be quite good. I am debating if I wanna give Falcon &The Winter Soldier a go or skip past it and get into Moon Knight instead.
I think Wanda and Loki are the next best two of the bunch. But I think Ms. Marvel (so far) beats them both in terms of story and execution.

I had only watched Hawkeye prior to last week but finally watched both WandaVision and Loki and found both to be quite good. I am debating if I wanna give Falcon &The Winter Soldier a go or skip past it and get into Moon Knight instead.

Falcon &The Winter Soldier was far more enjoyable than I expected, but Moon Knight was definitely more my jam.

I thought Wanda was the best of the bunch until it went Nickelodeon on the ending, really didn't like how they executed that. Loki could have been a multiverse traversing adventure but it ended up being really... small, and with too many filler episodes for me. But they were still my top two until Ms Marvel.

I thought Wanda was the best of the bunch until it went Nickelodeon on the ending, really didn't like how they executed that. Loki could have been a multiverse traversing adventure but it ended up being really... small, and with too many filler episodes for me. But they were still my top two until Ms Marvel.
As a TV junkie I loved the premise and execution of WandaVision the ending was probably the worst part but easily forgivable.

So just to confirm. Homages were as follows:

1950s: Donna Reed/I Love Lucy
1960s: Dick Van Dyke/Bewitched
1970s: Brady Bunch/Good Times
1980s: Family Ties/Growing Pains
1990s/2000s: Malcolm In Middle
2010s: Modern Family

Did I miss any?

I know just referencing something doesn’t necessarily make it entertaining but they did such a good job I preferred those aspects to the overarching storyline. Also, adding Kathryn Hahn and Kat Denning we’re excellent choices. I understand that Hahn is getting her own spin off series as well so that would be interesting.

As a TV junkie I loved the premise and execution of WandaVision the ending was probably the worst part but easily forgivable.

Did I miss any?

I know just referencing something doesn’t necessarily make it entertaining but they did such a good job I preferred those aspects to the overarching storyline. Also, adding Kathryn Hahn and Kat Denning we’re excellent choices. I understand that Hahn is getting her own spin off series as well so that would be interesting.

2010s also has Vision going full Jim Halpert in his talking to camera scenes, which was fun.

Did I miss any?

I think that's correct yeah, I thought they really did a good job with those.

2010s also has Vision going full Jim Halpert in his talking to camera scenes, which was fun.
I read it that way initially but since it thematically was doing riffs on Family Sitcoms, I figured that was more Modern Family than The Office but I guess you could argue especially by the end of its run, The Office was trying to say that the co-workers are family.

I read it that way initially but since it thematically was doing riffs on Family Sitcoms, I figured that was more Modern Family than The Office but I guess you could argue especially by the end of its run, The Office was trying to say that the co-workers are family.

If I had The Office in mind, it's totally their fault!

(although the visuals are a reference to the Happy Endings intro)

I think all of the Marvel Disney+ series that have completed, except for Falcon, start really great and establish an interesting new shade for Marvel. Then, with the exception of the episode 5 “character exploration” entry which is usually great, they give up on that initial creative choice and become more traditional action/CGI-fest conclusions in the second half. I still enjoy them though, even Falcon had some interesting episodes.

Edit: I think Loki did the best at staying interesting/weird/great the whole way through. I love that last scene’s homage to big cynical endings.

Does anyone else feel like the MCU has just become... too much? Putting out four or five films in one year was already a lot to ask of an audience, but now Marvel is adding a bunch of shows on top of that to ensure there's always a new piece of content to get people talking. The current schedule has something new coming out literally every month until the end of 2022. And that would be great... if it didn't increasingly feel more and more like things are shifting towards quantity over quality. I'm not an MCU hater by any means; I actually enjoyed Multiverse of Madness more than most people, I think. And I'm not saying there's not still some quality stuff coming out of it, but when I compare what the MCU is now to what it was before they started pumping out multiple shows and movies in one year, it just makes me kinda sad tbh.

Does anyone else feel like the MCU has just become... too much? Putting out four or five films in one year was already a lot to ask of an audience, but now Marvel is adding a bunch of shows on top of that to ensure there's always a new piece of content to get people talking. The current schedule has something new coming out literally every month until the end of 2022. And that would be great... if it didn't increasingly feel more and more like things are shifting towards quantity over quality. I'm not an MCU hater by any means; I actually enjoyed Multiverse of Madness more than most people, I think. And I'm not saying there's not still some quality stuff coming out of it, but when I compare what the MCU is now to what it was before they started pumping out multiple shows and movies in one year, it just makes me kinda sad tbh.
(You don’t have to watch them all)

Seriously though, I have never seen probably like 25% of the MCU and the stuff I have seen still works and makes sense sometimes watching one property will pique my interest in another and then I will watch that. Maybe I am used to it coming from the world of comic books but you will enjoy the experience more if you don’t feel obligated to watch everything.

I'm pretty damn pleased with the pace at which stuff is coming out, personally, but I don't keep up on much outside of MCU or Star Wars releases save the odd thing that really excites or intrigues me once in awhile (The Boys and We Own This City being the most recent examples.) I get how it could start feeling like a but much for people though. 5-15 year-old me would never have believed this would ever be a reality at all (and would've been happy for double or triple the current output!)

Last edited:
(You don’t have to watch them all)

At this point, you kind of do. I mean, Doctor Strange 2 would've been an annoying watch if I hadn't previously watched Doctor Strange 1 and No Way Home and WandaVision and Infinity War AND Endgame.

There are certain movies/shows you can watch on their own, but the core is being built so that nearly everything before the next up, is required viewing.

Eternals is probably safe to watch on its own, but I'm not gonna do that again.

I agree with @gaporter.

And like I said, at this point, it's always going to feel like part 52 of a story we're not caught up on. A lot of these flicks don't hold up on their own.

At this point, you kind of do. I mean, Doctor Strange 2 would've been an annoying watch if I hadn't previously watched Doctor Strange 1 and No Way Home and WandaVision and Infinity War AND Endgame.

There are certain movies/shows you can watch on their own, but the core is being built so that nearly everything before the next up, is required viewing.

Eternals is probably safe to watch on its own, but I'm not gonna do that again.

I agree with @gaporter.

And like I said, at this point, it's always going to feel like part 52 of a story we're not caught up on. A lot of these flicks don't hold up on their own.
Sure, if you are really into Dr. Strange and wanna watch the direct sequel to a particular film it helps to watch the movies that directly preceeded it and it probably also helps to watch properties that Strange is prominantly featured in. Conversly, If you are a big Captain America or Thor or Black Panther fan I would say you could comfortably navigate the MCU while completely ignoring all the Dr Strange Movies, No Way Home and WandaVision.

The MCU is just doing what Marvel comic book series have been doing for years. A reader might have a few titles that they read regularly but once or twice a year Marvel launches some sort of epic crossover event and all the main series will tie into that crossover for a book or two but if you don't wanna pay attention to epic crossover you are fine to go about your regular series and ignore it without getting lost (authors will provide enough exposition so that reader can pick up major happenings if its vital to the storyline). Some readers will take it a step further and buy a book or two of crossover titles that feature their favorite characters. Of course Marvel would like for readers to buy all their books and this is a good way to maybe get a Thor readers to give a Guardians of The Galaxy book a try (or vice versa); but most people are not that dedicated (or rich) to read and buy everything. So as a reader you determine your own path, If you find a particular story line compelling you invest more, if you find another to be bore or poorly executed you invest less.

Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of content being churned out of varying degrees of quality by Disney and they want you to watch all of it but you will be fine if ya skip some stuff.

I haven't watched The Eternals or Shang Chi yet but I doubt that will keep my from enjoying the new Thor movie.

Sure, if you are really into Dr. Strange and wanna watch the direct sequel to a particular film it helps to watch the movies that directly preceeded it and it probably also helps to watch properties that Strange is prominantly featured in. Conversly, If you are a big Captain America or Thor or Black Panther fan I would say you could comfortably navigate the MCU while completely ignoring all the Dr Strange Movies, No Way Home and WandaVision.

Iron Man 7 has just hit theaters. I've never seen a Marvel flick. Is this a good jumping on point? Probably not. Is this new reader friendly? Not likely. At what point does the current trend become excessive?

The MCU is just doing what Marvel comic book series have been doing for years. A reader might have a few titles that they read regularly but once or twice a year Marvel launches some sort of epic crossover event and all the main series will tie into that crossover for a book or two but if you don't wanna pay attention to epic crossover you are fine to go about your regular series and ignore it without getting lost (authors will provide enough exposition so that reader can pick up major happenings if its vital to the storyline). Some readers will take it a step further and buy a book or two of crossover titles that feature their favorite characters. Of course Marvel would like for readers to buy all their books and this is a good way to maybe get a Thor readers to give a Guardians of The Galaxy book a try (or vice versa); but most people are not that dedicated (or rich) to read and buy everything. So as a reader you determine your own path, If you find a particular story line compelling you invest more, if you find another to be bore or poorly executed you invest less.

I understand how comic books work. There's too much content. Quantity over quality.

If movies are gonna do everything comics do, where're the one-shots? Where's the reboot? Why isn't Luke Cage an Avenger sometimes?

Don't get me wrong, there is a ton of content being churned out of varying degrees of quality by Disney and they want you to watch all of it but you will be fine if ya skip some stuff.

I'll have to at least google two other movies if I wanna watch a new Marvel movie and be informed.

I haven't watched The Eternals or Shang Chi yet but I doubt that will keep my from enjoying the new Thor movie.

Well, if you do watch Shang-Chi, I'd recommend at least watching Iron Man 3 first. For Thor 4, I'd recommend at least watching Thor 1 and Thor 2 and Thor 3 and Avengers and Age of Ultron and Infinity War and Endgame and Loki and WandaVision. I wouldn't recommend watching Eternals.

Iron Man 7 has just hit theaters. I've never seen a Marvel flick. Is this a good jumping on point? Probably not. Is this new reader friendly? Not likely. At what point does the current trend become excessive?

I understand how comic books work. There's too much content. Quantity over quality.

If movies are gonna do everything comics do, where're the one-shots? Where's the reboot? Why isn't Luke Cage an Avenger sometimes?

I'll have to at least google two other movies if I wanna watch a new Marvel movie and be informed.

Well, if you do watch Shang-Chi, I'd recommend at least watching Iron Man 3 first. For Thor 4, I'd recommend at least watching Thor 1 and Thor 2 and Thor 3 and Avengers and Age of Ultron and Infinity War and Endgame and Loki and WandaVision. I wouldn't recommend watching Eternals.
The current trend becomes excessive for Disney when they stop making Billions of dollars. It becomes excessive for me as a fan whenever I decide I don’t wanna watch MCU movies or shows anymore.

Regarding comic books, There is a lot of content but there is also a good amount of quality too. Not everything works or is worth the time but some of it is and you don’t have to read all the sub par books to be able to enjoy the stellar one.

I wasn’t really implying that movies are doing everything that the comic books do, I was speaking primarily about the interconnectivity of the MCU. I would say them opening the multiverse has allowed for reboots to become more likely. Some soft reboots have already started. Some examples; Jane Foster becoming Thor, Kate Bishop is on her way to becoming Hawkeye, Falcon/Winter Soldier are the new Captain America, Yelna replacing Natasha as Black Widow, whoever ends up becoming the new Black Panther. These characters origins will bleed over to what happened prior but while the back stories can paint a more detailed character they are not essential for you enjoyment of their current adventures (if they are doing it right).

Yeah, ultimately I think we are gonna have to agree to disagree. I just don’t think fans have to know all the nuances to enjoy these movies. You can be as involved as you want to be. They are extremely popular films and that isn’t driven just by fan boys that feel obligated to watch them all. Some people just think Spider-Man is cool and wanna see him swing from a web and use his spidey strength to throw a car across the screen.

It’s not an all or nothing proposition. If ya wanna watch everything and you enjoy it all then by all means go for it but if you feel anxious about missing something or obligated to watch all these movies (and I am sure this is how Disney would like everyone to feel) then maybe it’s worth reassessing your level of involvement.

Last edited:
Back