The Super Thread - All Things Marvel/DC/Etc

I hear the criticism a lot of about Phase 4 feeling unfocused, and personally it feels more to me like seed planting for a wide breadth of new projects. Maybe it's just because I'm very familiar with marvel comics, but it feels to me theres some clear stories and teams they're setting up.

We're looking at Thunderbolts and Young Avengers, Kang being set up as the new big bad (though I could do with more seed planting outside Loki) and possibly Secret Wars down the line after we get the FF and Doom introduced. That all sounds great to me.
I see what you're saying, but I think my issue is them trying to set up all of those different things simultaneously. The MCU is certainly ambitious and have proven they're capable of handling multiple storylines at once, but I struggle to think of any creative team that could juggle all of these different things at once without the end products feeling overstuffed.

I admit that it's entirely possible this is purely a me thing and more a reflection on what I want from the media I interact with than the movies and shows themselves. It's not that I'm impatient or unwilling to follow multiple characters and teams, I was fine with it for the first decade's worth of MCU projects. And I get that having a whole smorgasbord of heroes and storylines that only really come together for big events is essentially how comic books work, so it seems like an ironic complaint to have, but I guess I just have different standards for film and television as a medium.

I really don't mean to be the killjoy complainer in this thread, so let me counteract my bitching with some positivity; one thing that Phase 4 has done consistently well is the villains. Outside of Black Widow and Eternals, Mandarin, Scarlet Witch (is this even a spoiler anymore?) and Gorr have all been some of the best parts of their respective movies, very identifiable characters powered by great performances. I haven't kept up with the shows as much but I enjoyed Agatha and Ethan Hawke in Moon Knight quite a bit as well. It seems like since Thanos, they've made a concerted effort to make the antagonists less one-note and delve into their backstories and motivations more, and as someone who loves a good villain, I appreciate that.

tumblr_p44sazNkc01x0bvwko6_540.gifv

This is an interesting article...
I read it a few days ago and after last night’s announcement, all those VFX artists need to go on strike and unionize because Marvel/Disney will run them ragged.

Finally saw the new Thor tonight and got pretty much what I expected from it. It was very fun but not really earth-shattering in any way. I didn't really think it would be able to top Ragnarok but I definitely enjoyed it far more than the first two. Christian Bale was fantastic despite being short-sheeted and I very much enjoyed a few of the more ridiculous moments. Hopefully the space goats get their own D+ series!

Back