The Technics Turntable Fan Club - Questions, Advice, Discussion

Whereas there’s something about getting this or the GR2 or even the 1500C and messing about with upgrades and tweaks to stretch performance that sorta interests me more because I’m nuts like that…
lol. This is probably what I’ll do with the 1300G and spend more than a 1200G would cost. To begin with, I want azimuth adjustment, so the headshell on both models is problematic for me. And I’m sure I’ll be curious what a different tone arm would do.

lol. This is probably what I’ll do with the 1300G and spend more than a 1200G would cost. To begin with, I want azimuth adjustment, so the headshell on both models is problematic for me. And I’m sure I’ll be curious what a different tone arm would do.

I think a headshell and one of the APM mats from funk firm and some nice new feet would probably where I’d start.

I think his knee jerk reaction is what a lot of "audiophiles" who went with the 1200G's unmistakable quality, and are just accepting the DJ look of the table. I'm in the same boat as he is and you are, I love EVERYTHING about my 1210G except for the DJ look, but I decided the "meat and potatoes" of the deck overshadowed the look.

Honestly, if Technics made a 1200G, let's call it an 1100G that was exactly the same as the 1200G minus the DJ stuff at even just $500 less, I'd be on board, lol. The only TT that's giving me the itch is the MasterDeck, outside of that, I'd be hard pressed to replace my 1210G.
Now a SL-1300 “Basic” could be interesting- a 1300 sans arm. Save a bunch and buy an SME or whatever arm you want.

You can adjust the azimuth with the stock headshell. It’s fiddly and not the intended function of the small screw that faces up from underneath. That’s what I did. It works.

There's enough play in the headshell connection. You will not need additional adjustment.

However the Technics HS locks in almost perfect every time. Other aftermarket HS are a bit more difficult to align.

As far as the upgrade costs, yeah that's how I ended up with the G over a GR a few years ago.

I decided it wasn't worth chasing upgrades that end up spending the same money in the end when you could get everything up front. However costs is always the X factor for everyone.

Not for nothin', but the 1210G is smoking at the moment with the Hana SL (only 10 hours on it) strapped in, tweaked a bit on the Manley (60 gain / 800 ohms / 250pF) and the SP8's continuing to get better and better, I don't think I've heard my system sound this good.

I really, REALLY, want to go head to head with the MasterDeck :)

Back