Vinyl Me Please Classics

Customer survey went out to current Classics subscribers and the most enticing question is this list of potential Classics #100 releases to vote on:

View attachment 209282

Storf said in discord they’ll try to do at least a few of these.

The correct answer, of course, is
Callier
The real correct answer is Allen Toussaint Southern Nights but mostly because I have the craft reissue of Callier and it is great. It seems that they may end up doing a bunch of these anyway.

For what it’s worth Storf said he really wants to do this one. Seems for some reason it may not be able to happen
“If I could I would” was his response, but he could just be coy about it and that in reality he can and he will do Dis is Da Drum.

But yeah I’m now a lot more bearish on this being the November JBFS. Not fully shot down but not gonna get my hopes up just yet.

Customer survey went out to current Classics subscribers and the most enticing question is this list of potential Classics #100 releases to vote on:

View attachment 209282

Storf said in discord they’ll try to do at least a few of these.

The correct answer, of course, is
Callier
I would really want the Coltrane and Hancock from this list, so that means it’s probably answer K.

The real correct answer is Allen Toussaint Southern Nights but mostly because I have the craft reissue of Callier and it is great. It seems that they may end up doing a bunch of these anyway.
Southern Nights is such a fantastic album! I have an OG that sounds great but an AAA reissue will definitely get me to bite. Toussaint’s original version of the song “Southern Nights” is very different and captures the essence of the subject matter compared to the Glen Campbell smash hit. Meters as the backing band too.

I'm on a break from VMP at the moment, but I am all in on the two Mwandishi titles (yes, the Henderson is really Mwandishi anyway). I have CDs of all of this and the related material (Priester, other Hendersons, Normal Connors) but I sure would love an LP similar to what Rhino did with Crossings, which is unreal. I have an OG of the Trane but admittedly, I don't listen to it too often. It's not as unfocused as OM but I think that other people did this thing better and the rhythm section weighs the proceedings down (even though it was one of the first to do this).

This is the thing with most artists: unless they are your absolute favorite, how many albums do you wanna roll deep? I own an Alice Coltrane album and that is more than enough for me and I would imagine except for her biggest fans that's probably enough for most people. For most, this release will be collecting dust on their shelves for the next 11 months before being traded in at their local for $10 in store credit a year from now.
I love Alice Coltrane (just outside my top10 artists all time) but I certainly don't need a live album from her at all.

THIS.

I am surprised Impulse hasn't done this already.
It’s not the most accessible Coltrane record so I get why they haven’t been rushing to reissue it. Overall Impulse’s reissue catalogue is definitely confusing. I’m sure missing tapes don’t help but there’s a lot of demand for some of their albums and they do a shitty job reissuing them themselves

It’s not the most accessible Coltrane record so I get why they haven’t been rushing to reissue it. Overall Impulse’s reissue catalogue is definitely confusing. I’m sure missing tapes don’t help but there’s a lot of demand for some of their albums and they do a shitty job reissuing them themselves
But then you’d have to listen to two versions of Ascension and try to decipher the difference in cacophony :LOL:

Back