Vinyl Me Please Classics

THIS.

I am surprised Impulse hasn't done this already.

If by "Impulse" you mean the Verve/Impulse Acoustic Sounds Series curated by Chad Kassem.........that dude hates any type of free jazz. Would have to seriously twist his arm to get anything challenging out the door like those Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane albums.

If by "Impulse" you mean the Verve/Impulse Acoustic Sounds Series curated by Chad Kassem.........that dude hates any type of free jazz. Would have to seriously twist his arm to get anything challenging out the door like those Pharoah Sanders and Alice Coltrane albums.
And considering Karma and Journey have been sitting on site on deep discount for months, pretty sure he's not going to let anyone twist his arm on those artists again unfortunately.

Although I was pleasantly surprised to see Sonny Rollins - East Broadway Run Down getting the AS treatment

Impulse does stuff outside of AS. Their rerelease strategy is bizarre.

i believe there are 3 jazz (ish) albums in a row but don't know what they are. one was described as vocal soul/jazz. i feel like @duke86fan follows those threads more than me though so may know more.
And one of them will be a 90s album never before issued on vinyl. Storf pretty much shot down it being Herbie's Dis Is Da Drum but he was also pretty aloof about that Gus Cannon album for a while until it became impossible to deny that's what was coming to Essentials, so I still hold out hope 🙏

Eh, if you mean VBR that's a hard pass. The only all analog Impulse reissues we're getting direct from the label are the Acoustic Sounds Series ones.
A few things here.

Impulse, as a label, doesn't exist anymore. It is part of Verve, which is in turn part of UMG. There is no re-release strategy outside of VBR and licensing, such as to Chad.

There are very few true UMG Impulse master tapes in existence. The large majority were lost in the UMG storage facility fire.

After the fire, UMG scoured the world for any secondary tapes they could find. They found a fair number, but a large number there are no secondary sources for.

When Chad, or anyone else, says they are mastering a UMG Verve or Impulse title from the original master tapes, chances are that means one of those secondary tape copies. Some of those tape copies are EQ's cutting masters, others can be straight copies of the master. They will vary in quality.

I don't have a lot of the Third Man VBR series. The ones I have are fine. Pretty good, actually. But I am aware there are many dogs, as they started saving money by going the bargain basement mastering route.

According to some guy on discord, the 1990s album is
Bill Frisell – Have A Little Faith

Never heard of it but the three comments on its discogs page are from people clamoring for a vinyl release so... yay?
Given that it is a core collection, 4 star, from Penguin and 5 stars on Allmusic, it seems like something that definitely should be in print

Back