Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

It's common for album art to have copyright dates for the year prior to release with releases early in the year. Only release date I can find is Feb. 20, 1996. Reviewed in The Source in the same month. Highest chart position in March. Lead singles were released in fall '95.

That is definitely why the person who created the discogs listing got the year wrong though.
their are people on VMP reddit claiming they bought the album in '95.

That always rubbed me the wrong way about Lord Finesse but I thin kit's water under the bridge now. I think after what happened to him over the Fatboy Slim sample and how they fucked him over he became paranoid about being sampled.
Something that I found interesting in the Mike Eagle/Prince Paul podcasts, he was talking about sampling from other hip hop artists and Mike asked if clearing them was easier than clearing other types of music and he said it was usually worse. He did say he didn't really blame the artists, but their managers, but I guess when people have spent a ton of time and money clearing stuff for their music for their whole career, it might burn them on the whole spirit of hip hop and uncleared samples. I also doubt Finesse is loaded, so it may be his livelihood and that makes people even less generous when it comes money. Totally get where you guys are coming from and I don't disagree, just trying to think about the other side.

On another note, I hope they don’t do another damn orange vinyl for this release. What would that make, 3 orange RHH records this year so far?

Something that I found interesting in the Mike Eagle/Prince Paul podcasts, he was talking about sampling from other hip hop artists and Mike asked if clearing them was easier than clearing other types of music and he said it was usually worse. He did say he didn't really blame the artists, but their managers, but I guess when people have spent a ton of time and money clearing stuff for their music for their whole career, it might burn them on the whole spirit of hip hop and uncleared samples. I also doubt Finesse is loaded, so it may be his livelihood and that makes people even less generous when it comes money. Totally get where you guys are coming from and I don't disagree, just trying to think about the other side.

Oh yeah I totally see that. I highly doubt Finesse is that rich considering he didn't have crazy charting hits like that that may have crossed over. I know the Fatboy Slim record could have made him some crazy money and I can see him being pissed at missing that opportunity. If I recall correctly, he was on the Juan Ep Podcast and talked about how he was under the impression he was only gonna be a small part of the song and he ended up being on the entire record and it became a hit. I also don't think the right deals were made during those days with rappers. I mean, they aren't even made right to this day with some many kids signing 360 deals left and right and no one owning their own stuff.

their are people on VMP reddit claiming they bought the album in '95.
That's interesting. I'd love to find something to back that up. Every ranked list or anything I can find also puts it '96. I'm really having trouble finding anything other than discogs saying '95. Even some of the stuff discogs lists as '95 has '96 dates on copyrights. If it did come out in '95, Tommy Boy must have just ignored promotion until '96 for nobody to remember correctly. One of the singles was released in '96 as well.

Hard to say since I can't find something that put its release date in print though, but I don't trust copyright dates at all.

I did find this from the March 23 '96 Billboard. The 3 weeks on the chart seems to match with the Feb 20 release date, but maybe they totally blew promotion so bad that it took like 10 weeks to start charting?

Inked2020-07-26 18_24_43-Window_LI.jpg

edit: This might be better from the March 9, '96 Billboard:

2020-07-26 18_36_00-Window.png

Last edited:
That's interesting. I'd love to find something to back that up. Every ranked list or anything I can find also puts it '96. I'm really having trouble finding anything other than discogs saying '95. Even some of the stuff discogs lists as '95 has '96 dates on copyrights. If it did come out in '95, Tommy Boy must have just ignored promotion until '96 for nobody to remember correctly. One of the singles was released in '96 as well.

Hard to say since I can't find something that put its release date in print though, but I don't trust copyright dates at all.

I did find this from the March 23 '96 Billboard. The 3 weeks on the chart seems to match with the Feb 20 release date, but maybe they totally blew promotion so bad that it took like 10 weeks to start charting?

View attachment 58534
That is a terrible top 50 albums chart, I get that it is Heatseekers, but there isn't much heat there. Love the Son Volt album and that is about it.

So this album got three mics in the source, back when they were the be all and end all of rap reviewing. They were wrong every once in a while but for the most part they were spot on. Is everyone loving this pick?

So this album got three mics in the source, back when they were the be all and end all of rap reviewing. They were wrong every once in a while but for the most part they were spot on. Is everyone loving this pick?

tbh this is something I'd rather have in my cassette collection, but it seems like getting ahold of a NM or higher copy would probably cost more than the VMP vinyl..

No, but I’m happy for my forum friends that are pleased with the pick! I just don’t see myself ever playing it, and I already have too many records I don’t ever play. I’m gonna swap for Patrice, I think.

No, but I’m happy for my forum friends that are pleased with the pick! I just don’t see myself ever playing it, and I already have too many records I don’t ever play. I’m gonna swap for Patrice, I think.
Yeah I'm gunna give this I've a listen through with the headphones tonight. I'm trying to limit my pickups a bit so I'm not sure I'll be grabbing this but I'm glad that for the most part people are into it.

Back