Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

yeah sorry everyone this is kinda a pass for me... its just not really my thing...

probably will just swap for money

Fair enough. There've been several ROTMs where I just couldn't feel myself getting into (*cough* Prince Paul *cough*) so it's good that VMP finally got a "swap for credit" option up and running for those lean months when there's nothing all that interesting available.

At the moment I'm probably gonna keep this instead of Classics. But who knows, something awesome might show up in swaps tomorrow.

So this album got three mics in the source, back when they were the be all and end all of rap reviewing. They were wrong every once in a while but for the most part they were spot on. Is everyone loving this pick?
I gave it a quick once over and a for an album that came out in 96 I think the production sound s awfully dated. It isn’t doing too much for me so far. I got a few days to decide but right now it seems like the type of album I would talk myself into but then never listen to beyond an initial spin.

I am seeing people argue over '95 or '96 and which is correct and Storf got it wrong and blah blah blah.

I don't know much about the history of this album, so I'm not sure if it was intended to be released in 1995 and ended up getting pushed back a few months into 1996 for some reason. If that were the case, it would not be cost effective to pull or destroy all existing copies and reprint everything for a single number.

However, the copyright generally refers to when the music is submitted for ownership and publishing purposes. For example, the album that I put out on New Year's Day of this year is still technically a 2020 release, but the copyrights and publishing paperwork had been submitted for months by the time the album came out.

It may seem like a boring concept, but it's more of a protection thing. If two artists are creating something simultaneously without the other knowing and there are stark similarities, in a court of law it very well could come down to the date of submission for the performance or the composition itself.

So, it is possible that the work was created during and copyrighted for 1995 with a street date in 1996.

Another example would be Radiohead with In Rainbows. Officially credited to 2007 and had a digital drop in 2007, but was released in mass physical form on January 1st of 2008. I'm 90% sure my copy says 2007 regardless.

This is a pretty mediocre choice honestly. So basically Tommy Boy is to RHH what Stax is to Classics. I just hope that means we get CNN at some point. 🤷‍♂️
tbh if we get nothing but tommy boy albums i'd probably leave

i just am not into the tommy boy sound it seems

This is a pretty mediocre choice honestly. So basically Tommy Boy is to RHH what Stax is to Classics. I just hope that means we get CNN at some point. 🤷‍♂️
It would be awesome if we got Capone-N-Norega’s “The War Report”! That would be a top R&HH ROTM! Let’s hope that because VMP have done a few Tommy Boy titles as the Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM, that we get The War Report sometime next year! 🤞

i just am not into the tommy boy sound it seems
Tommy Boy record label doesn’t have a particular sound! If we get Capone-N-Norega’s The War Report, it will something very different production wise to anything by De La Soul, Handsome Boy Modelling School and Lord Finesse! It definitely is the closest to Lord Finesse but the production is less claustrophobic and more hard hitting! If I was to compare an album in sound, I would compare it to Mobb Deep’s Hell On Earth!

Tommy Boy record label doesn’t have a particular sound! If we get Capone-N-Norega’s The War Report, it will something very different production wise to anything by De La Soul, Handsome Boy Modelling School and Lord Finesse! It definitely is the closest to Lord Finesse but the production is less claustrophobic and more hard hitting! If I was to compare an album in sound, I would compare it to Mobb Deep’s Hell On Earth!
The War Report and The Awakening were both Penalty Records, who had a distribution deal with Tommy Boy.

It was co-founded by the same guy who originally founded Tommy Boy though, who bought back into Tommy Boy and then bought the other half of Penalty from his co-founder in '99.

I agree they don't have a sound. Wish somebody would reissue Stakes Is High! But hopefully cut De La fairly into the deal.

Haha yeah I guess that incorrect clue didn’t help. I’m glad you are hyped for this!
Thanks! I’m super hyped for this one and can’t wait to spin it! 😇 I understand why some people find this release a bit boring/bland though! It’s very ‘hip-hop’ if you know what I mean! Like it doesn’t have that alternative appeal that Prince Paul, Handsome Boy Modelling School and De La Soul has.

Back