Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Is everyone loving this pick?
Yea, I’m absolutely loving this Lord Finesse pick! I’ve always loved the album and the production really is top notch on this one! It’s a gem! 💎

It’s also Lord Finesse’s best album in my opinion, so that’s cool too! 👍

I am sure a lot of people who haven’t heard this album, who love hip-hop, will love this pick! This is my second favourite R&HH ROTM pick this year, after Prince Paul! They’re pretty equal. Both 10/10 picks! I love Tommy Boy! ♥️

That's interesting. I'd love to find something to back that up. Every ranked list or anything I can find also puts it '96. I'm really having trouble finding anything other than discogs saying '95. Even some of the stuff discogs lists as '95 has '96 dates on copyrights. If it did come out in '95, Tommy Boy must have just ignored promotion until '96 for nobody to remember correctly. One of the singles was released in '96 as well.

Hard to say since I can't find something that put its release date in print though, but I don't trust copyright dates at all.

I did find this from the March 23 '96 Billboard. The 3 weeks on the chart seems to match with the Feb 20 release date, but maybe they totally blew promotion so bad that it took like 10 weeks to start charting?

View attachment 58534

edit: This might be better from the March 9, '96 Billboard:

View attachment 58537
Mad Skillz 🔥

Yeah I'm gunna give this I've a listen through with the headphones tonight. I'm trying to limit my pickups a bit so I'm not sure I'll be grabbing this but I'm glad that for the most part people are into it.
I want you to get this Mather because it’s an album I know you would enjoy spinning on your system! The production really stands out on this one! Definitely wouldn’t want you to miss out on this!

Are you picking up The Bar-Keys Classics ROTM!? I’m looking really forward to it but I know for a lot of others, it’s a pass!

i'll give this a 2nd listen but rn i just... am exhausted and not into the mood of the album (plus too much anxiety because of trying to not spend too much money because i wanna but new vinyl from UO, a new cartridge, a protractor, a headphone amp, fetch the bolt cutters, and non vinyl stuff)

So this album got three mics in the source, back when they were the be all and end all of rap reviewing. They were wrong every once in a while but for the most part they were spot on. Is everyone loving this pick?

It's all relative to time.

In 1995 if you had just spent five years listening to the golden age of hip hop records, this might be a 3 Mic album.

If you have spent the last five years listening to today's hip hop, it likely sounds like a 5 Mic god damn masterpiece.

It's all relative to time.

In 1995 if you had just spent five years listening to the golden age of hip hop records, this might be a 3 Mic album.

If you have spent the last five years listening to today's hip hop, it likely sounds like a 5 Mic god damn masterpiece.
Yeah, but giving Kriss Kross 3.5 is still a head scratcher. They also only gave O.C. Word...Life 3.5 stars. I guess they didn't like DITC.

Yeah, but giving Kriss Kross 3.5 is still a head scratcher. They also only have O.C. Word...Life 3.5 stars. I guess they didn't like DITC.
I would give this Lord Finesse album a 9/10! It’s exceptional! I think it’s an album that’s also aged really well, especially as the production is colourful, jazzy, dark, dense yet groovy! The features on The Awakening were also great! 💯

If you like Bahamadia’s Kollage or Smif-N-Wessun’s Dah Shinin’, albums I’m sure most of you know, then you would probably really The Awakening by Lord Finesse! 😃

I would give this Lord Finesse album a 9/10! It’s exceptional! I think it’s an album that’s also aged really well, especially as the production is colourful, jazzy, dark, dense yet groovy! The features on The Awakening were also great! 💯

If you like Bahamadia’s Kollage or Smif-N-Wessun’s Dah Shinin’, albums I’m sure most of you know, then you would probably really The Awakening by Lord Finesse! 😃
I don't know if I would go that high, but it is a good album. Last week is the first time I sat down and listened to the whole thing though, so I don't really feel qualified to rank it.

Yeah, but giving Kriss Kross 3.5 is still a head scratcher. They also only have O.C. Word...Life 3.5 stars. I guess they didn't like DITC.
Jermaine Dupris had the golden touch in that era. I had the tape when I was like 10 years old and loved it at the time. I can’t imagine it holding up very well today. I also can’t imagine me listening to it to find out!

I don't know if I would go that high, but it is a good album. Last week is the first time I sat down and listened to the whole thing though, so I don't really feel qualified to rank it.
Definitely all subjective in the end for sure! I would rate Snoop Dogg’s Doggystyle a 10/10 but I can imagine a lot of people on here giving it less than an 8/10! 🥴

After it was confirmed that Ol’ Dirty Bastard would not be the R&HH ROTM, I knew there was a strong chance we were going to get like 7.2/10 album, like the Salt-N-Pepa ROTM, or even something that would be a 6/10 like the N*E*R*D ROTM. However, I’m so happy we are getting something great like El-P, Blackalicious and Prince Paul 🙏🙏🙏

I wonder if this ROTM will sell out quickly like Blackalicous and El-P did? I have a feeling it will go quick because we have a Cuban album as the Essentials ROTM! Also, I’d say this Lord Finesse album is pretty very well-known amongst hip-hop heads! 👈

This one hits my personal sweet spot!

When this started up I was immediately teleported to <year TBD> and I can't get this smile off my face! It's not the best record of 95/96, those years were CRAZY for hip hop but this is a really solid record. Finesse is both dope on the mic and his production is top notch, I'd like it if this means DITC can get some shine going forward but with VMP who knows?

@Selaws - I know you’re very close to cutting your time with the Rap & Hip-Hop track but this upcoming Lord Finesse ROTM is a must as the production is jazzy, colourful and has a variety of mellow and sweet aesthetics, as well as dense and dark aesthetics. When Lord Finesse confidently glides with his relaxed flow on a groovy, mellow cut like “Hip 2 Da Game”, it’s just timeless! I am positive you will really like this one!

This is nothing like Future’s Honest - an album that had no jazz sensibilities and one that had a lot of filler and awful singing in it.

Lord Finesse’s ‘The Awakening’ is an album that has quite a lot of interludes which all have intricate, unique, cozy, jazzy production behind them and Lord Finesse is an amazing rapper who matches the atmosphere of the production on the track so well! This is definitely a keeper!

I want you to get this Mather because it’s an album I know you would enjoy spinning on your system! The production really stands out on this one! Definitely wouldn’t want you to miss out on this!

Are you picking up The Bar-Keys Classics ROTM!? I’m looking really forward to it but I know for a lot of others, it’s a pass!
I'm still on the fence on that one too. I mean Holy Ghost is a jam, but I'm not sure I need the rest of it. I think it's gunna come down to wire on both of these.

I'm still on the fence on that one too. I mean Holy Ghost is a jam, but I'm not sure I need the rest of it. I think it's gunna come down to wire on both of these.
Think it’s just going to be Lord Finesse and BVSC for me this month. Might end up scooping up Albert King though, that ones been getting rave reviews. We’ll see if there’s any surprises in swaps this time around as well

Back