Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Tommy Boy record label doesn’t have a particular sound! If we get Capone-N-Norega’s The War Report, it will something very different production wise to anything by De La Soul, Handsome Boy Modelling School and Lord Finesse! It definitely is the closest to Lord Finesse but the production is less claustrophobic and more hard hitting! If I was to compare an album in sound, I would compare it to Mobb Deep’s Hell On Earth!
i'm just not really into queen latifah or HBMS or prince paul or lord finesse... de la soul was good but thats because it was feel good fun with some happy lyrics

tbh if we get nothing but tommy boy albums i'd probably leave

i just am not into the tommy boy sound it seems

no such thing as a Tommy boy sound but they really have released some amazing classic timeless music that I would recommend looking into and worth the time. Sadly, they are pieces of shts and I hate supporting them due to the way they treat their artists but I do love a lot of albums released under them so it’s very bittersweet.

i'm just not really into queen latifah or HBMS or prince paul or lord finesse... de la soul was good but thats because it was feel good fun with some happy lyrics
Mmmmmm I get where you’re coming from! De La Soul are very fun and quirky and the other releases, while a bit playful in some way (Handsome Boy Modelling School & Prince Paul), aren’t ‘fun’ and as light-hearted as De La Soul’s 3 Feet High & Rising!

Just out of curiosity Dukey, what is your favourite genre of music? I can’t pinpoint your music taste at all, which is a really good thing as you’re music taste is very diverse! But yeah, what genre of music do you like the most?

Prince Paul and HBMS and The De La albums they put out all were Prince Paul production. Even the Queen Latifah album has one song produced by Prince Paul! Maybe you don't like Prince Paul! 😂
but i did like 3 feet high

but yeah i probably dont like prince pauls production

Just out of curiosity Dukey, what is your favourite genre of music? I can’t pinpoint your music taste at all, which is a really good thing as you’re music taste is very diverse! But yeah, what genre of music do you like the most?
i'm more into emotional music a la emo, hardcore, some ambient, the less mainstream hip hop, pop music, basically if i feel emotions i like it

maybe im not the mafioso or gangster rap kind of person but that feels wrong because i think snoop bumps hard (i also like a loud party) and reasonable doubt is a classic for a good reason (dead presidents is emotional with the highly personal lyrics and the haunting piano)

i'm more into emotional music a la emo, hardcore, some ambient, the less mainstream hip hop, pop music, basically if i feel emotions i like it

maybe im not the mafioso or gangster rap kind of person but that feels wrong because i think snoop bumps hard and reasonable doubt is a classic for a good reason
Mmmmmm I like that you say “if I feel emotions, I like it”! That’s a great answer actually!

I am definitely a fan of Mafioso/crime kind of rap! I love Westside Gunn/Griselda but also love those classic Mafioso rap albums in the mid 90’s; Jay-Z’s Reasonable Doubt, NaS’ It Was Written, Raekwon’s Only Built For Cuban Linx, AZ’s Doe or Die etc

I also like Gangsta rap too, but overall, I like East-Coast flavoured hip-hop moreso than West-Coast! Love abstract/cerebral kind of rap too; Milo, Open Mike Eagle, Quelle Chris etc and jazzy kind of hip-hop; From Blu & Exile’s new album to Tribe Called Quest & Digable Planets. Love trap, grime, just, everything!

I love hip-hop so much! I lam very album orientated still. So there’s albums I love and dislike in all the sub-genres of hip-hop :)

That's fair, I will give it some more time. I grew up on 90s hip hop but missed this one. It sounds pretty generic at first, but it might grow on me. In fact I hope it does!
Listen to “Hip 2 Da Game”! I always had that track in my playlist next to Bahamadia’s Uknowhowwedu! They are just such steady, mellow, groovy, chilled hip-hop jams with confident, relaxed flows! Start with that song first! Then maybe check the other single out “Gameplan”, it’s a very warm, lazy, hazy and snug song with great chemistry between Lord Finesse and Marquee!

Then maybe you can enjoy all the interludes and really immerse yourself in the album!

Reactions: Tj.
Mmmmmm I like that you say “if I feel emotions, I like it”! That’s a great answer actually!
tbh i had a thought based on that and my love for genres that are explicitely queer and feminine coded like pop and emo...

i kinda use music to numb my dysphoria.. so kinda cocky "im a badass" raps that dont have the music bump so hard i can just stop giving a fuck just makes me not really interested.. and thats all i feel about this album

tbh i had a thought based on that and my love for genres that are explicitely queer and feminine coded like pop and emo...

i kinda use music to numb my dysphoria.. so kinda cocky "im a badass" raps that dont have the music bump so hard i can just stop giving a fuck just makes me not really interested.. and thats all i feel about this album
Omg Dukey, I just looked up what Dysphoria means and I was a bit heart-broken to hear you say that you use music to numb your dysphoria! Hope you stop having recurring dysphoria feelings in the future! But at the same time, that’s what is so beautiful about music! It all helps us be happy! 😇🐒🐶🥰

Mmmmm fair enough that’s how you feel about this album. Totally understandable. It’s so interesting how you digest music compared to how I would! 🧠🙉

Omg Dukey, I just looked up what Dysphoria means and I was a bit heart-broken to hear you say that you use music to numb your dysphoria! Hope you stop having recurring dysphoria feelings in the future! But at the same time, that’s what is so beautiful about music! It all helps us be happy! 😇🐒🐶🥰

Mmmmm fair enough that’s how you feel about this album. Totally understandable. It’s so interesting how you digest music compared to how I would! 🧠🙉
its also possibly why i am bitter about no JPEGMafia exclusive from VMP, his most feminine and personal album that has a beautiful cover of no scrubs is basically make for me... and note you just got to excite me not make me cry or party... a lot of ROTMs are mostly just fun to me

its also possibly why i am bitter about no JPEGMafia exclusive from VMP, his most feminine and personal album that has a beautiful cover of no scrubs is basically make for me... and note you just got to excite me not make me cry or party... a lot of ROTMs are mostly just fun to me
Omg I know!!! I really want that JPEGMAFIA exclusive VMP seemed like they were going to do! I love All My Heroes Are Cornballs so much as well! Freaking love the song “No Scrubs” as well, that song means so much to me! 🙏😂

Hopefully you end up grabbing something you love in the Swaptions! If not, enjoy the VMP credit and hopefully VMP does an exclusive of an album you dearly love! 🤞

Don’t have any exposure to this pick so will give it a whirl today and see. No ODB is gutting but always felt too good to be true. Otherwise will probably look to swap for Coalminer’s Daughter or see what pops up in those random hours of swaps opening and things being put in.

Just wanted to take a post to say thank you for sharing that as it was really affirming to read. I’d not read about anyone numbing their dysphoria through music, but it goes to describe what I’ve felt a lot this past year as I’ve moved toward both transition and self-realisation/acceptance/allowance. Certain songs felt like I could wrap them around me and use them as a blanket to get a sense of the gender that escaped me and it really blew a chunk off my egg shell when @TenderLovingKiller® shared the Caretaker album by Half Waif. The whole album hits on it; the lyrics and theme are very apt and the first four tracks on Side B are among my favourite ‘stretches’ on any album, but it’s Blinking Light that lit a furnace in me when I heard it. Whenever I play it, especially on wax, I feed coal to it and I can feel my gender burn bright inside me.

It was really that alongside two other creative products - The Last of Us 2 and Portrait of a Lady on Fire - that finally gave me the drive to come out and start actually transitioning. So all 3, among many more subtle before them, really mean a lot to me. I’d not really heard music being used in a similar way to how I’d found it useful in this sense so stumbling across your post was a real “right?” moment, so cheers. Nice to know it isn’t just me.
———

Will also put a note to sea for @NathanRicaud to say he nailed my pronouns being she/her but as I was still exploring and not ‘out’ to anyone, including myself fully, I felt guilty accepting them 🙈 and deferred to what I was using at the time 🌇. My patch notes were behind my live version so wanted to give a heads up that you were spot on at the time, even if I didn’t fully accept it yet 🥚🔨🎂🥂

Last edited:
Don’t have any exposure to this pick so will give it a whirl today and see. No ODB is gutting but always felt too good to be true. Otherwise will probably look to swap for Coalminer’s Daughter or see what pops up in those random hours of swaps opening and things being put in.

Just wanted to take a post to say thank you for sharing that as it was really affirming to read. I’d not read about anyone numbing their dysphoria through music, but it goes to describe what I’ve felt a lot this past year as I’ve moved toward both transition and self-realisation/acceptance/allowance. Certain songs felt like I could wrap them around me and use them as a blanket to get a sense of the gender that escaped me and it really blew a chunk off my egg shell when @TenderLovingKiller® shared the Caretaker album by Half Waif. The whole album hits on it; the lyrics and theme are very apt and the first four tracks on Side B are among my favourite ‘stretches’ on any album, but it’s Blinking Light that lit a furnace in me when I heard it. Whenever I play it, especially on wax, I feed coal to it and I can feel my gender burn bright inside me.

It was really that alongside two other creative products - The Last of Us 2 and Portrait of a Lady on Fire - that finally gave me the drive to come out and start actually transitioning. So all 3, among many more subtle before them, really mean a lot to me. I’d not really heard music being used in a similar way to how I’d found it useful in this sense so stumbling across your post was a real “right?” moment, so cheers. Nice to know it isn’t just me.
———

Will also put a note to sea for @NathanRicaud to say he nailed my pronouns being she/her but as I was still exploring and not ‘out’ to anyone, including myself fully, I felt guilty accepting them 🙈 and deferred to what I was using at the time 🌇. My patch notes were behind my live version so wanted to give a heads up that you were spot on at the time, even if I didn’t fully accept it yet 🥚🔨🎂🥂

No Ol' Dirty Bastard was pretty gutting! I thought it wasn't too good to be true as Method Man's Tical was a R&HH ROTM last year! I thought to myself "maybe VMP are keen to reissue another debut album by a Wu-Tang member!". But yeah, not surprised that we aren't getting Ol' Dirty Bastard and are instead getting something 'not as exciting'! 🥀🎱🤷‍♂️

I love how much you love and connect with Half Waif's music! That's powerful that music gave you the drive to come out and love yourself more!! 🥰✨🌈

Sometimes, I just listen to music and I'm like "omg, I love life so much and am so grateful I have so much music I can splurge on"! 🙏

Awwww, you're such a good-y good-y feeling guilty for accepting the pronouns! I like that you care and have that perfectionist quality to you! You're definitely one of my favourites on here because you're so sweet, cute, intelligent, cheeky and extremely well spoken! I was impressed again reading this comment and went to myselfI "OMG, I'd love to meet Kyuuji and go out for lunch and go for a nice long walk somewhere"! 🍎🌳🐿🥙🧸

No Ol' Dirty Bastard was pretty gutting! I thought it wasn't too good to be true as Method Man's Tical was a R&HH ROTM last year! I thought to myself "maybe VMP are keen to reissue another debut album by a Wu-Tang member!". But yeah, not surprised that we aren't getting Ol' Dirty Bastard and are instead getting something 'not as exciting'! 🥀🎱🤷‍♂️

I love how much you love and connect with Half Waif's music! That's powerful that music gave you the drive to come out and love yourself more!! 🥰✨🌈

Sometimes, I just listen to music and I'm like "omg, I love life so much and am so grateful I have so much music I can splurge on"! 🙏

Awwww, you're such a good-y good-y feeling guilty for accepting the pronouns! I like that you care and have that perfectionist quality to you! You're definitely one of my favourites on here because you're so sweet, cute, intelligent, cheeky and extremely well spoken! I was impressed again reading this comment and went to myselfI "OMG, I'd love to meet Kyuuji and go out for lunch and go for a nice long walk somewhere"! 🍎🌳🐿🥙🧸
It was, but I’ve managed to grab some good tunes through VMP recently so I don’t feel it’s too big a downer ☔🚫🎶 Wasn’t promised so was just us getting hyped again haha 😂 It really is with Half Waif, album means a lot to me and I know exactly what you mean when you speak of music giving you that boost, I feel the same 🤝💝🎢🏝

Haha that’s really kind of you thank you 🥰✌ likewise, it’s always nice to see your posts.You’re like an endless Pez dispenser of positivity 😊😁🍬🍜 If I was in Australia I would love a walk through the woods or countryside talking about life and music 🏕🗣💡🎵🎉 same for if you’re ever in South England! 💌🚪🛎

What’s been your favourite 3 from all the R&HH choices do you think? 💰💎

It was, but I’ve managed to grab some good tunes through VMP recently so I don’t feel it’s too big a downer ☔🚫🎶 Wasn’t promised so was just us getting hyped again haha 😂 It really is with Half Waif, album means a lot to me and I know exactly what you mean when you speak of music giving you that boost, I feel the same 🤝💝🎢🏝

Haha that’s really kind of you thank you 🥰✌ likewise, it’s always nice to see your posts.You’re like an endless Pez dispenser of positivity 😊😁🍬🍜 If I was in Australia I would love a walk through the woods or countryside talking about life and music 🏕🗣💡🎵🎉 same for if you’re ever in South England! 💌🚪🛎

What’s been your favourite 3 from all the R&HH choices do you think? 💰💎
Hopefully there’s some awesome Swaptions for you when you look at them tomorrow! 🃏🔄🎯

Awww that's so sweet of you to say that! ☺🦚 You are also super positive! 💯 I really admire the energy you bring to the forum and you are someone that catches my attention, so whenever I see a comment/post from you, I'm always like "👀🙇‍♂️🍿📌"!

If you ever come to Melbourne, you're definitely staying over at mine for a few nights! I live so close to the beach 🏖 and live near a lake where there's 100's of Kangaroo's 🦘🦘🦘that hang around! And it would be nice just playing some vinyl late at night, while we both have our blankets and just talk shit! 🗣🎬😆

After having a good think about it, these are my 3 favourite Rap & Hip-Hop ROTM's VMP have done!

1. MF DOOM - MM...FOOD: Such a colourful, funny, creative, eccentric album where MF DOOM delivers so many great bars, over incredibly clever samples. He approaches 'food' themed topics from so many different angles - like it's just amazing the double entendres he uses too and all the different food references he makes! It's just such a great album, and the VMP pressing sounds amazing and looks stunning! 🏆🥇

2. Prince Paul - A Prince Among Thieves: This release is probably the most cinematic hip-hop album ever! The production is colourful, catchy, dark, funky, jazzy, and abstract, and the storyline on this album is so captivating! You become immersed into the storyline, and it's one you are excited to continue listening to as it unfolds, like with Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly. The pressing for this one is outstanding. It is loud, clean, sharp and has a nice, open soundstage! 🥈

3. Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle: The production on this album by Dr. Dre is incredible! The beats are soulful, relaxed, playful, woozy/intoxicating (especially Lodi Lodi) yet focused, with the exception of a few tracks like the dramatic, devilish, evil "Murder Was The Case"! The centrepiece of the album - the sexy, groovy, posse-cut "Ain't No Fun", is such a blissful, youthful, ignorant track that has one of the best features in hip-hop history (Nate-Dogg's verse at the start). Too much goodness in this album! It's just a juicy, sunny day, G-Funk classic! The pressing sounds marvellous and also looks really dope too! 🥉

Now, for those of you who are thinking about getting Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves in the upcoming Swaptions, because you ain't feeling the Lord Finesse pick, just grab it! A Prince Among Thieves is just a hilarious, heart-felt, cinematic album and is the second best produced album under the Tommy Boy label in my opinion, after 3 Feet High & Rising! De La Soul's Stakes Is High & Handsome Boy Modelling School are also exceptionally produced! 🔥🔥🔥

But for real, cop that Prince Paul album! It's hella unique and the pressing sounds really, really good! 🎯

Now, for those of you who are thinking about getting Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves in the upcoming Swaptions, because you ain't feeling the Lord Finesse pick, just grab it! A Prince Among Thieves is just a hilarious, heart-felt, cinematic album and is the second best produced album under the Tommy Boy label in my opinion, after 3 Feet High & Rising! De La Soul's Stakes Is High & Handsome Boy Modelling School are also exceptionally produced! 🔥🔥🔥

But for real, cop that Prince Paul album! It's hella unique and the pressing sounds really, really good! 🎯

For any true hip hop heads it would be a crime to pass up on Lord Finesse. I would've preferred other albums from 95 but this is a good pick by VMP. I skipped Prince Paul last month to get HBMS but will be swapping classics for it this month, this might be the best month for me since Feb.

Back