Vinyl Me Please Rap & Hip Hop

Now, for those of you who are thinking about getting Prince Paul's A Prince Among Thieves in the upcoming Swaptions, because you ain't feeling the Lord Finesse pick, just grab it! A Prince Among Thieves is just a hilarious, heart-felt, cinematic album and is the second best produced album under the Tommy Boy label in my opinion, after 3 Feet High & Rising! De La Soul's Stakes Is High & Handsome Boy Modelling School are also exceptionally produced! 🔥🔥🔥

But for real, cop that Prince Paul album! It's hella unique and the pressing sounds really, really good! 🎯

Stakes Is High is my absolute favorite De La Soul album. I would love if VMP repressed it. Too bad they've already done De La on both Essential and RHH and they don't repeat artists. Maybe as a store exclusive since they seem to have such a great relationship with Tommy Boys' bitch ass.

For any true hip hop heads it would be a crime to pass up on Lord Finesse. I would've preferred other albums from 95 but this is a good pick by VMP. I skipped Prince Paul last month to get HBMS but will be swapping classics for it this month, this might be the best month for me since Feb.
I agree! I don’t want to sound like I’m an expert or am up myself or anything, but that’s what I thought as well in regards to Lord Finesse! Any true hip-hop head, like me, wouldn’t pass up on this Lord Finesse Classic! This is definitely an album like Smif-N-Wessun, Black Moon etc where a lot of people who like east-coast hip-hop, still wouldn’t like them! They prefer maybe something easy or better known to the ears like NaS, Jay-Z, Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth, Mobb Deep, Jeru The Damaja, Fugees etc

Even Digable Planets appeals to the alternative hip-hop crowd for instance. But this Lord Finesse album doesn’t, it’s like that underground hip-hop head kinda album! And The Awakening is such a great semi-underground album with such good production! I can’t wait to have it in my collection and play it loud and feel the hip-hop!

I don’t come across as a hip-hop head because I’m so cheeky and love VMP and am doing so many emojis etc, but hip-hop is where my heart is at. If you look in my bedroom, it’s all hip-hop, most my CD’s where hip-hop and I was listening to artists like Lord Finesse when I was around 16 years old!

Stakes Is High is my absolute favorite De La Soul album. I would love if VMP repressed it. Too bad they've already done De La on both Essential and RHH and they don't repeat artists. Maybe as a store exclusive since they seem to have such a great relationship with Tommy Boys' bitch ass.
It’s my second favourite after 3 Feet High & Rising, but it’s so close! De La Soul’s first four albums are just all incredible! I’m so glad to have 3 of them on vinyl!

Let’s hope VMP do an exclusive of De La Soul’s Stakes Is High! Who knows, with this Lord Finesse release, they might do a Tommy Boy month thing, where we get a De La Soul album (Stakes Is High), and a Handsome Boy Modelling School album!

I’m also hoping we get Capone-N-Norega’s The War Report as a R&HH ROTM next year! That album is also a hip-hop heads kinda album, like Lord Finesse, (but Lord Finesse moreso in the hip-hop head category)!

I've tried getting into Lord Finesse, but I'm not feeling the album enough to buy it. Feels like there are many fillers to me, or maybe it's just not for me. Would've loved Raekwon or ODB, but this will be a swap for me. Let's see what's in swaptions today.
Get the Whitney Houston Boxset if it’s in the Swaptions! It’s like the VMP store exclusive of the year! 💎

If they refuse to put Shabaka in swaptions, I truly doubt they put Whitney in swaptions haha

Still wait for them to respond to my question to send me a replacement for my noisy Shabaka copy. I have emailed CS on Monday last week. Still nothing apart from the standard response on Friday. Probably have to try the Matt trick again to get their attention.

I don’t doubt it because VMP don’t make sense a lot of the times 😜

But that is a very good point you’ve brought up! It’s like why would the put this Whitney Houston Boxset in the Swaptions and not Shabaka & The Ancestors!?! 🤔💡

I first thought the Whitney boxsets could have ended up on Acoustic Sounds as some of their former anthologies did, but didn't see them there. I think they could indeed end up in swaptions. Regarding Shabaka maybe many copies have pressing defects so they try to keep more as replacements than usually.

Still wait for them to respond to my question to send me a replacement for my noisy Shabaka copy. I have emailed CS on Monday last week. Still nothing apart from the standard response on Friday. Probably have to try the Matt trick again to get their attention.
Hope they get back to you soon! It's very frustrating. I emailed them on Sunday last week about cancelling my pre-order for Coral Keys since I got the limited one direct through Real Gone for cheaper and I had a refund and email response by Monday afternoon. Other times I have emailed it takes 2 weeks to get any response beyond the generic one. I really don't understand how they operate...

Hope they get back to you soon! It's very frustrating. I emailed them on Sunday last week about cancelling my pre-order for Coral Keys since I got the limited one direct through Real Gone for cheaper and I had a refund and email response by Monday afternoon. Other times I have emailed it takes 2 weeks to get any response beyond the generic one. I really don't understand how they operate...

Thanks for your good wishes. It seems to be a high inconsistency. Maybe it depends on which CS member is in office that moment. It's such a shame they mostly produce great records and have an amazing curation, but CS is so unreliable.

I'm pretty happy with this Lord Finesse pick and the type of stuff I'd like VMP to do more. Curious to see the color/package stuff but thinking I'll sign back up for this one. Probably going with the monthly though as I have zero faith in multiple picks in a row that I'll want.

Is there still controversy over the release year for this one?

The lyric genius notes that play on Spotify say the album came out in 1995. For what thats worth.

I don't think I like this one enough to keep it, too many swaps I want after taking a 6 month hiatus from VMP. But this is a solid album, certainly not the disaster that Skee Lo would have been.

Someone on reddit posted that they saw Noname back in stock very briefly. It’s showing sold out now.

Possible repress that will be available in swaps?

That was the very first RHH record right? Still remember getting it and it was worth it. Hope you guys get to swap for it today!

Back