Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

I'm probably missing something obvious, but why is there a need for moderators on Reddit? Isn't the whole concept of up-voting and down-voting intended be self-moderating?
In theory, yes. The reality is that’s it’s a non-stop, 24/7 garbage fire that provides one of the stronger arguments against the very existence of any sort of social media by showing just how terrible the average person behaves when relieved of consequences for their words and actions.

Y'all can skip over this post if you don't give a shit about reddit stuff lol

100000% this.

That is the current situation on reddit.

Crysb even said on there basically "do not go to N&G" when everyone was recommending folks go to N&G.

Make sure to include context, bud. Someone made a post on the subreddit talking about the community aspect of it. It was an interesting post IMO, because OP's main point (or at least my interpretation of it) was: negativity and criticism is absolutely valid. VMP has been fucking up and customers need a place to congregate, discuss these issues, and put public pressure on VMP. But when that negativity seeps into positive or even neutral posts, it puts the community in a precarious position. Sure, if someone says "VMP is great, y'all need to quit whining, you're being bitches about this whole thing", that's messed up and is not cool at all (and is stuff we've warned/banned people for in the past - we must be some pretty crappy VMP shills?). But when someone can't even say "I got this record in the mail today and it sounds good and I had a good time spinning it" without being downvoted and chastised, it makes it hard for any sort of community to prosper (I know some of y'all might not believe it, or might not be around the reddit enough to have an opinion either way, but prior to the last few weeks of VMP fiascos I would ABSOLUTELY say the subreddit had a solid community aspect to it). One of the first sentences of OP's post was "Reddit has become the place for members to get together and try to build a sense of community around this service." While some valid and interesting discussion spawned from that thread, there was also a lot of people whose response was just "go to Needlesandgrooves". My response to OP is as follows:

"The 'around this service' part is an important distinction that I don't think enough people are recognizing whenever they say "just go to Needlesandgrooves". N&G is great, and there are subsections of it dedicated to discussing VMP-related topics. But it's not a VMP community, because it was never built or intended to be one. Directing people who want a better VMP community to N&G is sort of a misrepresentation of what that place is about, and it also implies that there can't or shouldn't be any semblance of a sense of community on here. Attempts to improve certain aspects of a community, or emphasize that there is one (which there undeniably was for a very long time, VMP's past couple months of fuckups have really diluted the waters though), shouldn't be met with "go to this other community instead", especially when /r/vinylmeplease and Needlesandgrooves are only very tangentially related"

My response wasn't "don't go to N&G". It was "N&G is not a platform that primarily revolves around VMP, and directing people who specifically say they want a sense of community built around a service to a forum that was specifically built to NOT be beholden to said service is a misrepresentation of said forum".

Furthermore @LordHood - and I REALLY have tried to avoid getting into any public disagreement on here with you despite you constantly trying to call me out, as like others have stated, N&G is not a platform to publicly air your grievances about stuff that happened on a completely separate website - your petty vendetta is getting annoying. You were warned on the subreddit multiple times for your antagonistic behavior and namecalling towards other members. I removed a post of yours that I and the rest of the mod team felt belonged in the megathread. You slid into my DMs to repeatedly call me a fanboy and a child. I provided you with my justification for removing your thread and you continued to call me a fanboy and a child. You then made a thread publicly calling me a fanboy and a child. After warning you again, your attacks continued, and you were temp banned. Of course, that didn't stop you from continuing to slide into my DMs to harass me for comments I was making on the subreddit after you were banned. And now you hop onto a completely separate platform to partake in such bald-faced misrepresentation of almost every aspect of the situation, and for what? To try and turn this community against me? To paint this picture that the mod team are some big bad shills who remove any slight hint of negativity, when there are multiple actual members of this community who can tell you how wrong that is? Ironically enough, this was my exact reasoning for trying to impress onto people that N&G is not just some VMP or /r/vinylmeplease offshoot - shit over there doesn't have to be dredged up on here, because this is its own community that doesn't have any real connection to VMP (which is part of what makes N&G so great).

I really don't want to turn this into a public spitting match, which is why I ignored you the first five times you tried to call me out on here. The truth is that a lot of people here really actually couldn't give less of a shit about what happens on the subreddit, and that's fine. So if you want to keep calling me out and being dishonest about what happened, cool, at least I've said my side.

Last edited:
I'm probably missing something obvious, but why is there a need for moderators on Reddit? Isn't the whole concept of up-voting and down-voting intended be self-moderating?

At a certain point, yeah. But it's a bit more complicated for smaller subreddits. The VMP sub has seen a huge uptick in activity recently, but it's still quite a small subreddit, we do sometimes go days without anything being posted. So pretty much every post that's made ends up on the front page, for better or for worse. Like, look at /r/music (you dont actually have to because it sucks, I'm just using it as an example lol): I can post a song on there, and within an hour there will be a hundred songs posted afterwards. There's only 25 slots on the front page, so my /r/music post will only rise to that front page if it gets a decent amount of upvotes in a short amount of time. If I post something that community doesn't like, my post gets downvoted, and it never makes its way anywhere near the front page. Compare that to /r/vinylmeplease - if someone makes a post right now, it'll most likely be within the top 5 spots on the front page, because the subreddit just isn't that big and it'll be the only post made in the past 16 hours. So for smaller subs, there does sort of need to be a more watchful eye, because even if rule breaking content is downvoted, it'll still be plenty visible if there aren't many more posts to drown it out.

Also - while reddit is, overall, a dumpster fire of annoying proportions, there is absolutely some variance in communities. I've been on subreddits where people are respectful and courteous even in heated disagreements, and I've been on subreddits where you get told to kill yourself if you like the wrong type of soda. Those community differences don't just grow naturally, they're fostered by rules. If you have a free-for-all philosophy to your community's discussion, then you're going to be allowing in people who will take that to the extreme. If you institute a "don't tell people to kill themselves over disagreements and don't call people slurs", sure you're turning people away, but you're really only pissing off the people who tell others to kill themselves and call people slurs. And when those people are out the door from the get go, it goes a long way towards setting a precedent of not being an asshole even when you're disagreeing and criticizing. I'm sure in many people's eyes, the idea of trying to have a respectful community on reddit is akin to trying to grow a garden on a scorched meteorite (and y'all may be more right than you know), but eh, it is what it is.

You can't have it both ways either. The flair was definitely unwarranted bullshit that was added after the fact. You've heard from only 2 mods here and I'm sure that, even in that misguided move, whoever did it thought they were defending the mod team in some way and overstepped. @chrb98 didn't do it and @MattHasIdeas owned banning you and stuck by it. So, why would they lie about this. They've owned up to every other action/decision. The fact that you apologized for your comment shows that you're aware of it, so take the temp ban and get over it.

You've admitted that you don't always realize you've crossed a line, but you've pushed that here several times, too, as if you're daring them to ban you -- not more recently, but just prior to the reddit ban, since you've been riding that topic since. If they do, I'm sure you'll feign surprise.

Nobody is more guilty of criticizing that company than me and nobody enjoys talking shit more, but as a parent, I have minimal patience for the Steve Urkel "did I do that?" faux bewilderment. You apologized, so you know why you got banned. Take it and move on. @NathanRicaud got banned from the old VMP board. He took it and moved on. If you do realize that you've crossed the line afterward, then take the ban as the wake up checking you where the line was at. Don't try to rewrite the scenario. When your ban on reddit was preceded by a handful of comments here that I know elicited reactions from people on this board thinking "Woah. What the fuck? That seems to go a little far and left field from the context here." then not a ton of people here are gonna have your back. Not a ton of people have followed every post here either, but I've watched this unfold.

I might normally suggest going and checking your posts that received angry face reactions or zero reactions at all on this very thread. Then to try and figure out why your specific comments, among all the other criticism, weren't supported. Read the room. But, I don't think you really need to do that, because you know the difference just like my 8 year old knows why I'm pissed, even though he acts confused.

You attacked Storf's weight. You got banned on a reddit sub. Take the temp ban. Even feel your comment was justified, if you want/do, but deal with the consequence and don't pretend like you don't understand it or are being singled out without playing any role in it. Don't go at the mods here, man.

I don't entirely agree with this. He's not just smug, he's dismissive and offensive. He's been insulting to other people and his comments essentially blame customers for being dramatic and unable to please, when they have real issues. If you ask a question about a real concern related to your credit card or your account details shifting and you have a staff member playing victim when nobody ever personally attacked or mentioned them, gaslighting you and encouraging a mob of his fans to come and attack you while you're already dealing with the original issues.... like Brit Brit put it, he's not that innocent.

Storf plays victim way too much for me to fall into it. Some people are attacking him, I'm sure, but he created that situation for the most part. He's consistently responded to very general VMP critiques by voluntarily coming in with eyerolls toward the customers dismissing them and signaling mobs. He's made himself the face of the company and the face of the victim if anyone even slightly critiques the company. VMP never asked him to do it. Because of that, it's evolved into critiques of that practice that he's employed. At least from my end. That's what has rubbed me the wrong way, the effort to victim blame and dismiss people just looking for some assistance or validation with their issues.
Nathan got banned? For what?
I agree you shouldn't attack people with completely bullshit barbs. Attacking Storf on his weight is no bueno. I think Storf is an asshole but you lose all credibility on your criticism when you attack on a personal level.

At a certain point, yeah. But it's a bit more complicated for smaller subreddits. The VMP sub has seen a huge uptick in activity recently, but it's still quite a small subreddit, we do sometimes go days without anything being posted. So pretty much every post that's made ends up on the front page, for better or for worse. Like, look at /r/music (you dont actually have to because it sucks, I'm just using it as an example lol): I can post a song on there, and within an hour there will be a hundred songs posted afterwards. There's only 25 slots on the front page, so my /r/music post will only rise to that front page if it gets a decent amount of upvotes in a short amount of time. If I post something that community doesn't like, my post gets downvoted, and it never makes its way anywhere near the front page. Compare that to /r/vinylmeplease - if someone makes a post right now, it'll most likely be within the top 5 spots on the front page, because the subreddit just isn't that big and it'll be the only post made in the past 16 hours. So for smaller subs, there does sort of need to be a more watchful eye, because even if rule breaking content is downvoted, it'll still be plenty visible if there aren't many more posts to drown it out.

Also - while reddit is, overall, a dumpster fire of annoying proportions, there is absolutely some variance in communities. I've been on subreddits where people are respectful and courteous even in heated disagreements, and I've been on subreddits where you get told to kill yourself if you like the wrong type of soda. Those community differences don't just grow naturally, they're fostered by rules. If you have a free-for-all philosophy to your community's discussion, then you're going to be allowing in people who will take that to the extreme. If you institute a "don't tell people to kill themselves over disagreements and don't call people slurs", sure you're turning people away, but you're really only pissing off the people who tell others to kill themselves and call people slurs. And when those people are out the door from the get go, it goes a long way towards setting a precedent of not being an asshole even when you're disagreeing and criticizing. I'm sure in many people's eyes, the idea of trying to have a respectful community on reddit is akin to trying to grow a garden on a scorched meteorite (and y'all may be more right than you know), but eh, it is what it is.

i think you are one of the best mods ever anywhere. the way you explain things is awesome. KUDOS!

He was too sexy for the forum... And his shirt, and your party, etc. 😂 Right, @NathanRicaud ?
Can’t believe I got banned from the forum for being too cute and sexy! 🤦‍♂️🙃

I generally avoid interacting with Nathan’s posts because he’s not really to my tastes (just as I am sure folks avoid me for the same reasons, so no offense meant Nathan) but that whole affair at the old place I think is best left there before it dredges up that unpleasantness here.

Even as someone not involved with it directly, the posts/behavior that precipitated it was uncomfortable to read at times.

i think you are one of the best mods ever anywhere. the way you explain things is awesome. KUDOS!
I learned it all from the mods at the old place, I'm just trying my best to follow in their footsteps ;)

I don't spend time on reddit, but @chrb98 is an absolute class act here, and apparently much too nice of a person to point out that one of the insults being addressed is also one that repeatedly misgenders her.

I don't get why some folks can't seem to see the line between critique and saying whatever you feel like you need to say to get a reaction out of the person you're mad at, as if you're somehow drawing blood if you achieve that.

Be best, guys.

When it comes to gender, I've come to learn that basically the entire internet defaults to assuming someone is male unless proven otherwise. It's not even a malicious thing - I catch myself doing it all the time lol. While there could be some mean-spirited intent there, I just felt like there were so many more obviously intentional jabs that the gender thing didn't even register, especially when it's coming from someone like that who doesn't really know anything about me (unless they stalked my reddit history, which people have done before and threatened me with so that's always fun :P )

Y'all can skip over this post if you don't give a shit about reddit stuff lol

Make sure to include context, bud. Someone made a post on the subreddit talking about the community aspect of it. It was an interesting post IMO, because OP's main point (or at least my interpretation of it) was: negativity and criticism is absolutely valid. VMP has been fucking up and customers need a place to congregate, discuss these issues, and put public pressure on VMP. But when that negativity seeps into positive or even neutral posts, it puts the community in a precarious position. Sure, if someone says "VMP is great, y'all need to quit whining, you're being bitches about this whole thing", that's messed up and is not cool at all (and is stuff we've warned/banned people for in the past - we must be some pretty crappy VMP shills?). But when someone can't even say "I got this record in the mail today and it sounds good and I had a good time spinning it" without being downvoted and chastised, it makes it hard for any sort of community to prosper (I know some of y'all might not believe it, or might not be around the reddit enough to have an opinion either way, but prior to the last few weeks of VMP fiascos I would ABSOLUTELY say the subreddit had a solid community aspect to it). One of the first sentences of OP's post was "Reddit has become the place for members to get together and try to build a sense of community around this service." While some valid and interesting discussion spawned from that thread, there was also a lot of people whose response was just "go to Needlesandgrooves". My response to OP is as follows:

"The 'around this service' part is an important distinction that I don't think enough people are recognizing whenever they say "just go to Needlesandgrooves". N&G is great, and there are subsections of it dedicated to discussing VMP-related topics. But it's not a VMP community, because it was never built or intended to be one. Directing people who want a better VMP community to N&G is sort of a misrepresentation of what that place is about, and it also implies that there can't or shouldn't be any semblance of a sense of community on here. Attempts to improve certain aspects of a community, or emphasize that there is one (which there undeniably was for a very long time, VMP's past couple months of fuckups have really diluted the waters though), shouldn't be met with "go to this other community instead", especially when /r/vinylmeplease and Needlesandgrooves are only very tangentially related"

My response wasn't "don't go to N&G". It was "N&G is not a platform that primarily revolves around VMP, and directing people who specifically say they want a sense of community built around a service to a forum that was specifically built to NOT be beholden to said service is a misrepresentation of said forum".

Furthermore @LordHood - and I REALLY have tried to avoid getting into any public disagreement on here with you despite you constantly trying to call me out, as like others have stated, N&G is not a platform to publicly air your grievances about stuff that happened on a completely separate website - your petty vendetta is getting annoying. You were warned on the subreddit multiple times for your antagonistic behavior and namecalling towards other members. I removed a post of yours that I and the rest of the mod team felt belonged in the megathread. You slid into my DMs to repeatedly call me a fanboy and a child. I provided you with my justification for removing your thread and you continued to call me a fanboy and a child. You then made a thread publicly calling me a fanboy and a child. After warning you again, your attacks continued, and you were temp banned. Of course, that didn't stop you from continuing to slide into my DMs to harass me for comments I was making on the subreddit after you were banned. And now you hop onto a completely separate platform to partake in such bald-faced misrepresentation of almost every aspect of the situation, and for what? To try and turn this community against me? To paint this picture that the mod team are some big bad shills who remove any slight hint of negativity, when there are multiple actual members of this community who can tell you how wrong that is? Ironically enough, this was my exact reasoning for trying to impress onto people that N&G is not just some VMP or /r/vinylmeplease offshoot - shit over there doesn't have to be dredged up on here, because this is its own community that doesn't have any real connection to VMP (which is part of what makes N&G so great).

I really don't want to turn this into a public spitting match, which is why I ignored you the first five times you tried to call me out on here. The truth is that a lot of people here really actually couldn't give less of a shit about what happens on the subreddit, and that's fine. So if you want to keep calling me out and being dishonest about what happened, cool, at least I've said my side.

I want to comment on this because @LordHood actually PM'd me on reddit before heading over here and it's partially my fault for linking them to this thread. I got a message thanking me for having his back and I wasn't sure exactly which post it was referencing, but recognized his name. In the same message, he mentioned he'd been banned by you for calling you a "fanboy " My response was that you not only weren't a boy, but that it's ironic that you'd actually just thanked me for having your back as a mod. I directed them to this thread as an example of how you've been critical of issues yourself and as evidence that the assumption was off base, not as a new avenue to try and call you out regarding what I felt was a mischaracterization that didn't ring true for me.

I've also suggested people check out N&G when they express a desire to leave VMP, but don't want to lose the curation or community aspect. I'm guilty myself of not recognizing that there was more of a community over there, until recently. Out of respect to you, I hope that can be refostered, somehow. My impressions are further colored by seeing a community come together out of the ashes of the VMP forum and uniting to pushback together. They are definitely responsible for getting in their own way over there, as well, but I hope you recognize that I'd never have any intention of fucking with you as mods unless I really believed you were running that place as a PR tool to silence dissent and prop up a company that has a lot to answer for. I definitely don't feel that way, but I've hopefully also made that clear in my other comments.

Last edited:
I don't spend time on reddit, but @chrb98 is an absolute class act here, and apparently much too nice of a person to point out that one of the insults being addressed is also one that repeatedly misgenders her.

I don't get why some folks can't seem to see the line between critique and saying whatever you feel like you need to say to get a reaction out of the person you're mad at, as if you're somehow drawing blood if you achieve that.

Be best, guys.
I learned it all from the mods at the old place, I'm just trying my best to follow in their footsteps ;)

When it comes to gender, I've come to learn that basically the entire internet defaults to assuming someone is male unless proven otherwise. It's not even a malicious thing - I catch myself doing it all the time lol. While there could be some mean-spirited intent there, I just felt like there were so many more obviously intentional jabs that the gender thing didn't even register, especially when it's coming from someone like that who doesn't really know anything about me (unless they stalked my reddit history, which people have done before and threatened me with so that's always fun :p )
Are insults really that gendered anymore? If I’m to the point where I’m flinging insults of the name calling variety, your gender isn’t that important. I’ve called women assholes, dickheads and motherfuckers and I’ve called dudes a camel cum gurgling whorebait bitch, I don’t care about your genitals, I just want you to know exactly how I feel about you. 😂😂

Back