Vinyl Storage Recommendation

Here is my current system of storing records, I have 1 1X2 and a 2x2 next to each other, then stack a 3X2 on top of them for more, I plan on adding a 1X4 next the track can area (also moving the spin clean) but the real thing I'm wondering if I should stack on to another 1X4 horizontally to make it a 5X4, get more space, and is cheaper than getting a whole new kallax, but I dunno if it will break on me if I do that

1000000472.jpg

also I have a 25 dollar gift card to target I've never used so I can use that for the 1X4

Here is my current system of storing records, I have 1 1X2 and a 2x2 next to each other, then stack a 3X2 on top of them for more, I plan on adding a 1X4 next the track can area (also moving the spin clean) but the real thing I'm wondering if I should stack on to another 1X4 horizontally to make it a 5X4, get more space, and is cheaper than getting a whole new kallax, but I dunno if it will break on me if I do that

View attachment 210566

also I have a 25 dollar gift card to target I've never used so I can use that for the 1X4
just a heads up, this is likely going to be way over the maximum specified top shelf load for those bottom Kallaxes.

but then i'd move all my records back to the top because its weird to have a shelf with random blocks of empty space.. the 2x3 and 1x2 into a 2x4 seems like a good idea and the same for the 2x2... i just am running out of space easily
You could store your Spin Clean and things in one cube, maybe buy an insert and display your figs inside another, put sleeves and what not in another, etc. Looks like you got plenty of stuff on/around the Kallax to fit inside cubes. And you can always change things around as needed. I just wouldn't put more than another 2x2 on the shelves.

You could store your Spin Clean and things in one cube, maybe buy an insert and display your figs inside another, put sleeves and what not in another, etc. Looks like you got plenty of stuff on/around the Kallax to fit inside cubes. And you can always change things around as needed. I just wouldn't put more than another 2x2 on the shelves.
the spin clean and trash in one cube was the idea.. i already am putting my sleeves in the bottom shelf of these knock off kallax along with my box sets. the hard part is that I have like 2 cubes left and holding everything from the obis for my VMP in case I sell them to the magazines to the figurines to all this other stuff is seemingly impossible to get much room in.. i mostly just was going to put a 2X2 as you suggested... but I'm running out of space and there isn't anywhere else to store records because next to this is a huge window, and the other side of my wall will trigger my OCD hard..

i am overthinking so hard

…I would fill your bottom units with records to reduce the top weight. Having empty cubes down there with all the weight hanging over them is making me nervous.
i'm moving them so everything is evenly spread across all the cubes.. i just get scared I'm running out of space... that's why I wanted to add a 1X4 next to it around the trash can and spin clean...my OCD just kinda kicks in and I overthink how much space I have...having them all more loose makes it feel a lot more comfortable and that I have much more space than I did.... i still wanna get a 1X4 or a 2X2 to add some more space (thanks @ngower for that advice).. but I'm less paranoid than I was

i'm moving them so everything is evenly spread across all the cubes.. i just get scared I'm running out of space... that's why I wanted to add a 1X4 next to it around the trash can and spin clean...my OCD just kinda kicks in and I overthink how much space I have...having them all more loose makes it feel a lot more comfortable and that I have much more space than I did.... i still wanna get a 1X4 or a 2X2 to add some more space (thanks @ngower for that advice).. but I'm less paranoid than I was
I agree with others that you might be playing with fire in this setup. It seems less likely to be an issue with the weight spread on top across two units than it does leaving the bottom cubes empty and having it be top heavy. Even though the top has a lower weight recommendation, because you have two on the bottom with the double sides that make up what is essentially the middle, it gives it more support. I don't know if it's enough, but it does help with the weight distribution some. But the empty bottoms with the heavy top shelves makes it more likely to tip over and squish you. And we don't want to hear about you getting squished buddy.

You might also consider selling these and getting a 4x4 to replace them and give you extra space.

I agree with others that you might be playing with fire in this setup. It seems less likely to be an issue with the weight spread on top across two units than it does leaving the bottom cubes empty and having it be top heavy. Even though the top has a lower weight recommendation, because you have two on the bottom with the double sides that make up what is essentially the middle, it gives it more support. I don't know if it's enough, but it does help with the weight distribution some. But the empty bottoms with the heavy top shelves makes it more likely to tip over and squish you. And we don't want to hear about you getting squished buddy.

You might also consider selling these and getting a 4x4 to replace them and give you extra space.
maybe... target only at most sells 3X3 and though ikeas is nice I had a 25 dollar gift card for target so I thought I could save money

Legal disclaimer that I'm not responsible if the shelves collapse.

maybe... target only at most sells 3X3 and though ikeas is nice I had a 25 dollar gift card for target so I thought I could save money

2x4 as well

I have a few mixed and matched kallax and target 2x2s and they are different sizes/measurements which drives me crazy. The target ones aren’t as deep. The thicker pieces are also a bit thinner.

Ikea on left, Target on right

IMG_4160.jpeg

I had Walmart ones (mostly 2x4) until I got the five by five kallaxes. I wouldn’t buy a five by five from Walmart. The four by four I have is okay.

I will say the Walmart ones seemed thicker.
I wonder if they changed the materials in the Kalax. I can't hardly move the 4x4 I have, but I can lift the 5x5 I bought a few weeks ago (with great effort) and it's easy to move.

thanks, put myself on the wishlist for when the espresso color is back in stock... i could even try stacking on one 4 cube for ultra 5X4

Back