Definitive Audiophile pressings

I have a twofer that I think sounds quite good. I found a clean copy at a local that was around $20. It's a combo of Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby.

I passed on Village Vanguard and Portrait in Jazz One Steps for $99 each because they were too expensive for me at the time...
I picked up a NM copy of this towfer on Discogs for $49 and it's amazing. The 2011ish OJCs of Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby seem to be OOP at the moment, so this is a no brainier.

I picked up a NM copy of this towfer on Discogs for $49 and it's amazing. The 2011ish OJCs of Sunday at the Village Vanguard and Waltz for Debby seem to be OOP at the moment, so this is a no brainier.
I need to grab more of those twofers. There are quite a few

Update on Acoustic Sounds shipping to Canada. I was charged $19 and was a bit concerned that it was so cheap because it didn’t include the duty charges. Sure enough, I got a call from FedEx on the weekend stating that there were some fees that needed to be paid. Usually I call them and pay in advance to prevent any delays. This time, I was kind of busy and didn’t bother to call and pay in advance. Today the package was delivered. The delivery guy didn’t even knock. He just left it at the door. Long story short, $19 is a pretty reasonable shipping charge to Canada from Acoustic Sounds, annnnnnnnnnnnnnd FedEx has been bluffing about these fees all along! Boy do I ever feel like a fool for calling them and giving them my money in the past. 😀

Update on Acoustic Sounds shipping to Canada. I was charged $19 and was a bit concerned that it was so cheap because it didn’t include the duty charges. Sure enough, I got a call from FedEx on the weekend stating that there were some fees that needed to be paid. Usually I call them and pay in advance to prevent any delays. This time, I was kind of busy and didn’t bother to call and pay in advance. Today the package was delivered. The delivery guy didn’t even knock. He just left it at the door. Long story short, $19 is a pretty reasonable shipping charge to Canada from Acoustic Sounds, annnnnnnnnnnnnnd FedEx has been bluffing about these fees all along! Boy do I ever feel like a fool for calling them and giving them my money in the past. 😀
They can still come after those charges after the item is delivered.

They can still come after those charges after the item is delivered.
I figured this was just a fluke and I got lucky this time. Coming for the fees after the delivery though? What leverage do that have at this point? Their agreement is with AS, not me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try something buuuuuut they didn’t even get proof of delivery sooooooo they are gonna have a tough time.

I figured this was just a fluke and I got lucky this time. Coming for the fees after the delivery though? What leverage do that have at this point? Their agreement is with AS, not me. I wouldn’t be surprised if they try something buuuuuut they didn’t even get proof of delivery sooooooo they are gonna have a tough time.
Just saying, if you owe, they won't just forget it. If the item is delivered to you, you owe the duty. But I did think that AS was still doing the Canada cheap delivery deal so maybe they paid the duty. I have had that happen with other companies in the past.

Just saying, if you owe, they won't just forget it. If the item is delivered to you, you owe the duty. But I did think that AS was still doing the Canada cheap delivery deal so maybe they paid the duty. I have had that happen with other companies in the past.
Well, I do appreciate the warning. I guess the only concrete news that I can share is that the $19 shipping charge was real. If you read through the AS shipping terms of service they mention the shipping charge is an estimate and each order will be weighed before a final amount is determined so I was expecting it to increase when they reviewed it but it didn’t, so that was a nice surprise. I guess the jury is still out on whether the duty is supposed to be included in that or not. It definitely was when I ordered from them in November and the shipping was $30.

Curious which titles. Can you share your list?

These are a few of the twofers (or comps of various tracks) I’ve been wanting. Not all milestone but I think all are AAA:

Those are the quick ones I could find in my wantlist…don’t go buying up all the nice copies 🤣

Last edited:
These are a few of the twofers (or comps of various tracks) I’ve been wanting. Not all milestone but I think all are AAA:

Those are the quick ones I could find in my wantlist…don’t go buying up all the nice copies 🤣
I'll try not to! Ha ha.
I've owned a few of the Milestone releases, mostly Bill Evans stuff, and found them to be a great value. Thanks for sharing your list, always interested in seeing what is out there for this label, as I haven't really done the research myself. Just bumped into titles here or there at a local jazz-oriented record shop. I think there are also a handful of Ben Webster Milestone twofers that you'd probably be interested in as well.

I'll try not to! Ha ha.
I've owned a few of the Milestone releases, mostly Bill Evans stuff, and found them to be a great value. Thanks for sharing your list, always interested in seeing what is out there for this label, as I haven't really done the research myself. Just bumped into titles here or there at a local jazz-oriented record shop. I think there are also a handful of Ben Webster Milestone twofers that you'd probably be interested in as well.
the Wynton Kelly one should be great. I just picked up a copy of Kelly Blue so will probably not buy the twofer anymore but the lineup on those Kelly albums are really solid. I want the Mal Waldron one but can't ever seem to find decent price on it in the US. His stuff tends to be pretty hard to find now.

I missed this change. Is AS still doing the flat rate $29 duty covered shipping to Canada or has this changed?

Back