Definitive Audiophile pressings

I seriously have a Grey Market copy from “Jazz Wax” label that sounds great. Like I am sure the AP 33 and 45 sound amazing but for the $14 I paid for it this really sound quite solid.
I have found that the grey market DOLs are less vibrant than other pressings. I have a couple and it was clearly evident comparing the Blue Note Classic and DOL pressings of “Midnight Blue”. But, I’ve found the WaxTime pressings I have to be quite good. I guess, as with many things, it depends on how much care is taken at each step versus simply if they are digital sourced or not.

I have a AP 45 Soul Samba(played a few times) from before the pandemic. I would trade it for a AP or Classic 33 if anyone happens to have one of those. One of the best records I own, Im just lazy. 😊Hit me up if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
@Turbo i think you were asking about this, but saw it over at Hoffman:

I've been messaging a Mofi Customer Service representative for the last week and they just told me that the archival list will be up by the end of this week or the beginning of this week.
They also confirmed that all Pixies and the Band reissues were AAA. All of Elvis Costello's reissues (with the exception of the Burt Bacharach collaboration) were AAA. Marshall Crenshaw's s/t album is also AAA. I'll update with more information when I get it.

I've been messaging a Mofi Customer Service representative for the last week and they just told me that the archival list will be up by the end of this week or the beginning of this week.
They also confirmed that all Pixies and the Band reissues were AAA. All of Elvis Costello's reissues (with the exception of the Burt Bacharach collaboration) were AAA. Marshall Crenshaw's s/t album is also AAA. I'll update with more information when I get it.
I know it’s the SH forum, so all sanity bets are off, and I know you posted this bc it’s relevant to a specific issue another user asked about, so this has nothing to do w/ you posting this here . . . But I could be in prison in solitary confinement with no reading material, writing utentsils, etc., and, if the warden offered me a computer for the purpose of corresponding w Mofi about source minutiae that Mofi has already said will be disclosed in time, I’d turn down the opportunity.

I know it’s the SH forum, so all sanity bets are off, and I know you posted this bc it’s relevant to a specific issue another user asked about, so this has nothing to do w/ you posting this here . . . But I could be in prison in solitary confinement with no reading material, writing utentsils, etc., and, if the warden offered me a computer for the purpose of corresponding w Mofi about source minutiae that Mofi has already said will be disclosed in time, I’d turn down the opportunity.
The likelihood is they would take weeks to respond to you so it would be useless anyway!

Damn, I was hoping the boomers would sell their copies of The Pixies for cheap when it was confirmed these are not AAA, but alas.

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out. That Marshall Crenshaw is fantastic btw. Love that record - both the songs and pressing are great.

haha yea i have them and they sound incredible. curious why these went DSD to analog console to lathe though vs the others going DSD to lathe? i don't pretend to know enough about the technical aspects but does seem strange!
Based on how they've been updating the site, I think it just being a straight up copy-paste error is also in play.

But yeah, Oh Mercy is one of the handful of Mofis I own and it sounds amazing. Oddly enough, I always thought this one was digital since that's what I incorrectly assumed the non-OMR banner meant (I figured it was recorded to DAT or something based on its era). I guess I was right after all, though!

Back