Definitive Audiophile pressings

some more info on the MoFi DSD process is here in this "interview", which is pretty clearly just a prepared set of questions. but some interesting info nonetheless:

The analogue EQ is interesting and probably a really good step. You can’t edit DSD files natively so they have to be converted to a special type of high rate PCM for editing and the reconverted back to DSD. Doing this in the analogue domain is definitely preferable. Also answers the question you, I think it was you, had about why they go from DSD to an analogue console.

The analogue EQ is interesting and probably a really good step. You can’t edit DSD files natively so they have to be converted to a special type of high rate PCM for editing and the reconverted back to DSD. Doing this in the analogue domain is definitely preferable. Also answers the question you, I think it was you, had about why they go from DSD to an analogue console.
yep--was wondering why some of those Dylans had that step to go from analogue to DSD to analogue EQ to lathe. makes more sense now.

A lot more info on the MOFI site now. More titles have been updated. Looks like they added additional verbiage of "DSD ___ to analog console to lathe" on most of the titles from DSD sources.

I went on their site earlier to check something and the site was down with a "we're updating our website to make for a better shopping experience". Seems they were updating more and more. In the interview, they say they are working on adding info for every release--hoping that means from every release in the MD era...that would just be interesting to see. They don't have every MD-era release on their site.

I went on their site earlier to check something and the site was down with a "we're updating our website to make for a better shopping experience". Seems they were updating more and more. In the interview, they say they are working on adding info for every release--hoping that means from every release in the MD era...that would just be interesting to see. They don't have every MD-era release on their site.

I’d say it’s more likely from 2011 onward when they started with the DSD. Otherwise it’s a lot of work lol!

Not the correct place to put this necessarily but my local just posted a nice collection of original pressing Reggae records, most seem to be In VG+ condition on their website.
I just picked up a NM/VG++ original US pressing of Junior Marvin’s Police & Thieves for $50.

Some of the artists:
Max Romeo
Burning Spear
Skatalites
Toots & The Mytals
Bunny Wailer
Max Romeo & The Upsetters
Bob Marley

To name a few. I may buy a few more if some are still around when I get paid Friday.
Thanks for posting this, grabbed a few I rarely see:

The Heptones - Party Time
Lumumba - Lumumba
U-Roy - Dread In A Babylon

Thanks for posting this, grabbed a few I rarely see:

The Heptones - Party Time
Lumumba - Lumumba
U-Roy - Dread In A Babylon
Nice pulls! Yeah, I figured someone on here would appreciate it. The two I grabbed, Police & Thieves and War Ina Babylon are two of the greatest Reggae albums of all time and it’s not easy to find clean copies of either. There was a 4 Men With Beards reissue of both but I try to steer clear of those releases.

I think they are also selling a cool promo copy of Bob Marley’s Rastaman Vibration, I could be wrong But comparing the listing with the Discogs entry, I didn’t see any other versions that included the “The Marley Scrapbook” and a reprint of a People Magazine interview.
$100 is too steep for me but compared to what it’s selling for (if it is the promo version) seems like a really good deal.

Nice pulls! Yeah, I figured someone on here would appreciate it. The two I grabbed, Police & Thieves and War Ina Babylon are two of the greatest Reggae albums of all time and it’s not easy to find clean copies of either. There was a 4 Men With Beards reissue of both but I try to steer clear of those releases.

I think they are also selling a cool promo copy of Bob Marley’s Rastaman Vibration, I could be wrong But comparing the listing with the Discogs entry, I didn’t see any other versions that included the “The Marley Scrapbook” and a reprint of a People Magazine interview.
$100 is too steep for me but compared to what it’s selling for (if it is the promo version) seems like a really good deal.
I almost always buy reggae albums I don’t recognize when I see them at flea markets, garage sales, or even in $1 bins at stores that don’t care to look them up because their clientele isn’t really interested. I got really into Bob Marley in like 6th grade after a vacation to the Caribbean and fell in love with reggae.

It’s one of those genres that I love to discover blindly, as I rarely don’t enjoy a reggae album. Will keep an eye out for those two you scooped!

Re: the Rastaman, I’m guessing it doesn’t include the burlap sack outer cover. Still a good price comparatively.

I almost always buy reggae albums I don’t recognize when I see them at flea markets, garage sales, or even in $1 bins at stores that don’t care to look them up because their clientele isn’t really interested. I got really into Bob Marley in like 6th grade after a vacation to the Caribbean and fell in love with reggae.

It’s one of those genres that I love to discover blindly, as I rarely don’t enjoy a reggae album. Will keep an eye out for those two you scooped!

Re: the Rastaman, I’m guessing it doesn’t include the burlap sack outer cover. Still a good price comparatively.
Ah, yeah you’re probably right. Looks like it might be missing the 8x10 glossy of Marley too. I love Ephemeral stuff like that.

Been wanting this one for a while and it’s back in stock

Dumb me was in such a hurry to buy the Pretenders that I didn't check the other restocks. Got this one too. So two $10 shipping fees.

Screenshot_2022-08-10-19-17-39-01_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
Coming October 28, 2022 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!

1STEP Process 180g 45rpm Double LP Pressed on VR-900 Super Vinyl!
Mastered by Bernie Grundman from the Original Mix-Down Analog Master Tapes!
Strictly Limited to 7,500 Numbered Pressings!

This item not eligible for any further discount offers!

Patricia Barber's 6th studio album is a fascinating collection of classic cover songs shaped by her inimitable downtempo intimacy into startlingly affective journeys through the human condition. Working with her band of the time (bassist Michael Arnopol and drummer Adam Cruz, augmented by star turns from guitarist Charlie Hunter, bassist Marc Johnson, and drummer Adam Nussbaum), Barber creates an atmosphere of austere trepidation that allows her long-time engineer Jim Anderson to hang her haunted vocals directly over top. Like all great jazz albums, Nightclub puts the highlighted artist front and center while carving out plenty of space for the supporting players to give emphatic support.

Impex's 1STEP process provides the perfect showcase for Anderson's peerless audio immersions. Nightclub was originally digitally recorded on a Sony 3348 multi-track and mixed through a Neve analog console to both digital and analog mix-down masters. Bernie Grundman used the analog mix-down tapes to assemble a new analog cutting master exclusively for our 1STEP. Coupled with the incredibly detailed VR-900 vinyl formula, there is instrument detailing to spare, a Mariana Trench noise floor, and incredibly-focused low end. There is simply no better way to enjoy Barber's cool renditions of timeless classics than this one (including the exclusive, never-before-released bonus track "Wild Is the Wind"). Limited to 7,500 pressings, so preorder now before this Club closes for good.

The 1STEP Process:
The Impex 1STEP process relies on short, tightly-controlled runs that require a new lacquer after each 500 pressings. This unforgiving format has the lacquer skipping the regular father-mother process, going right to a single convert and then pressing. Though this dramatically increases mastering and production costs, it also assures each run is more consistent from disc to disc, with less noise, clearer details and deeper bass.

Reducing production complexity to just a single "convert" disc between the lacquer and the press greatly improves groove integrity, diminishes non-fill anomalies and increases signal integrity from the master tape to your system.

Features
Strictly Limited to 7,500 Numbered Pressings
1STEP Process
180g Vinyl
45rpm
Double LP
Mastered by Bernie Grundman from the Original Mix-Down Analog Master Tapes
Pressed on VR-900 Super Vinyl for Incredible Detailing, an Epic Soundstage & Near-Silent Surfaces
Exclusive Ultra-Luxe Impex 1STEP Packaging
Deluxe 12-Page Booklet within a Three-Sleeve Monster Pack Jacket
Color-Matched Slip Case
Never-Before-Released Studio Session Track "Wild Is the Wind"
Musicians
Patricia Barbervocals, piano
Michael Arnopolbass
Adam Cruzdrums
Charlie Hunter8-string guitar
Marc Johnsonbass
Adam Nussbaumdrums
Selections
Side A:
Bye, Bye Blackbird
Invitation
Yesterdays
Side B:
Just For a Thrill
You Don't Know Me
Alfie
Side C:
Autumn Leaves
Summer Samba
All Or Nothing At All
Side D:
So In Love
A Man and a Woman
I Fall In Love Too Easily
Wild Is the Wind

View attachment 148404
Coming October 28, 2022 pre-order your copy today! Orders with both pre-order and in stock items will have all in stock items shipped immediately!

Patricia Barber's 6th studio album is a fascinating collection of classic cover songs shaped by her inimitable downtempo intimacy into startlingly affective journeys through the human condition. Working with her band of the time (bassist Michael Arnopol and drummer Adam Cruz, augmented by star turns from guitarist Charlie Hunter, bassist Marc Johnson, and drummer Adam Nussbaum), Barber creates an atmosphere of austere trepidation that allows her long-time engineer Jim Anderson to hang her haunted vocals directly over top. Like all great jazz albums, Nightclub puts the highlighted artist front and center while carving out plenty of space for the supporting players to give emphatic support.

Impex's 1STEP process provides the perfect showcase for Anderson's peerless audio immersions. Nightclub was originally digitally recorded on a Sony 3348 multi-track and mixed through a Neve analog console to both digital and analog mix-down masters. Bernie Grundman used the analog mix-down tapes to assemble a new analog cutting master exclusively for our 1STEP. Coupled with the incredibly detailed VR-900 vinyl formula, there is instrument detailing to spare, a Mariana Trench noise floor, and incredibly-focused low end. There is simply no better way to enjoy Barber's cool renditions of timeless classics than this one (including the exclusive, never-before-released bonus track "Wild Is the Wind"). Limited to 7,500 pressings, so preorder now before this Club closes for good.

The 1STEP Process:
The Impex 1STEP process relies on short, tightly-controlled runs that require a new lacquer after each 500 pressings. This unforgiving format has the lacquer skipping the regular father-mother process, going right to a single convert and then pressing. Though this dramatically increases mastering and production costs, it also assures each run is more consistent from disc to disc, with less noise, clearer details and deeper bass.

Reducing production complexity to just a single "convert" disc between the lacquer and the press greatly improves groove integrity, diminishes non-fill anomalies and increases signal integrity from the master tape to your system.

Features
1STEP Process
180g Vinyl
45rpm
Double LP
Pressed on VR-900 Super Vinyl for Incredible Detailing, an Epic Soundstage & Near-Silent Surfaces
Color-Matched Slip Case
Musicians
Michael Arnopolbass
Adam Cruzdrums
Marc Johnsonbass
Adam Nussbaumdrums
Selections
Side A:
Bye, Bye Blackbird
Invitation
Yesterdays
Side B:
Just For a Thrill
You Don't Know Me
Alfie
Side C:
Autumn Leaves
Summer Samba
All Or Nothing At All
Side D:
So In Love
A Man and a Woman
Wild Is the Wind
I just don't see this selling.
The bubble has burst on one steps IMO.

Even Relaxin still hasn't sold out and that's Miles MF''n Davis LoL (of course not the most popular title either)

View attachment 148404

The 1STEP Process:

Features
1STEP Process
180g Vinyl
45rpm
Double LP
Color-Matched Slip Case
Musicians
Michael Arnopolbass
Adam Cruzdrums
Marc Johnsonbass
Adam Nussbaumdrums
Selections
Side A:
Bye, Bye Blackbird
Invitation
Yesterdays
Side B:
Just For a Thrill
You Don't Know Me
Alfie
Side C:
Autumn Leaves
Summer Samba
All Or Nothing At All
Side D:
So In Love
A Man and a Woman
Wild Is the Wind
Listened to a few tracks and sounds nice. But selling this at over $100, "limited" to only 7,500 copies? Someone has cajones.

Back