Definitive Audiophile pressings

I would be interested in hearing one of these one day. It's the sequel to Weekend at Bernies.

I kind of picked up on KG going in this direction with his new studio, but he hasn't really said out loud what his detailed recording plans are.
I know he said 1-2 records a year and the first is close to printing jackets.

I just don't see this selling.
The bubble has burst on one steps IMO.

Even Relaxin still hasn't sold out and that's Miles MF''n Davis LoL (of course not the most popular title either)
I’m with ya. 7500 is a very large number at that price point and this isn’t a massive general population appeal name or album and it has some well reviewed pressings already to boot. I think this’ll be a long wait.

Plaid Room has a used copy of the Premonition pressing for 60 and has for a week with it being unsold to this point.

Also not necessarily new back in stock but recent ones people have said nice things about

Stevie Ray Vaughan Texas Flood 45

Lynyrd Skynyrd Pronounced…

Lou Reed Transformer SC shipped from the US

Coleman Hawkins /Ben Webster AP

I’m with ya. 7500 is a very large number at that price point and this isn’t a massive general population appeal name or album and it has some well reviewed pressings already to boot. I think this’ll be a long wait.

Plaid Room has a used copy of the Premonition pressing for 60 and has for a week with it being unsold to this point.

I'm going to Ruth Chris and then buying the $23 Mingus instead

Dumb me was in such a hurry to buy the Pretenders that I didn't check the other restocks. Got this one too. So two $10 shipping fees.

Has anyone compared this cars mofi to an OG pressing?

There was a bit of discussion earlier in the thread where people generally said the MoFi is not a substantial upgrade (or not even better according to some) than the OG - more of a testament to the OG copy.
I must have missed that or scrolled past it. Thank you.

I didn’t really want to drop $50 after shipping on it when I had a clean OG. Thanks for saving me from 💸💸💸.

I must have missed that or scrolled past it. Thank you.

I didn’t really want to drop $50 after shipping on it when I had a clean OG. Thanks for saving me from 💸💸💸.
Save your money and buy the OG cars.
They all are better than Mofi.

Same thing with Pretenders and many other releases.

More
Overated
Financial
Impulse buys

Edit: MOFIB 😆

Last edited:
Here's another. A class action lawsuit needs to be certified, in other words, the court has to grant leave to take a class action suit.

Despite there not being a shortage of lawyers eager to take some fool's money to file one, it is quite a bit more difficult to convince a court to certify it, i.e. allow it to go forward.

One major obstacle here is that there have to be commonalities within the affected class, basically they all share the same damage caused by the defendant. That will be impossible to demonstrate here.

One defect in the American system is a free for all in contingency agreements, which encourages shady lawyers - of which there are many, due to lax bar associations - to take a 'file anything and hope some stick' approach. That seems to be the case here. Two guys do not make a class, and records that sound great but a few losers all of a sudden have had their precious audiophile world come crashing down does not make for a class action damage claim.

Hope those losers feel powerful right now, for filing their class action. Their bubble will be burst when they have to pay costs.

Yeah I’m not all that familiar on class actions as they don’t exist in Irish law. An EU directive will impose them on us from next June but looking at the proposals it’s going to be a much more stricter regime than the US.

I just don't see this selling.
The bubble has burst on one steps IMO.

Even Relaxin still hasn't sold out and that's Miles MF''n Davis LoL (of course not the most popular title either)
Strongly disagree on the one step "bubble" and it kinda ignores all context surrounding some of these releases.

Relaxin didn't sell out because AP is repressing their $40 AAA version at some point. If the AP wasn't coming out, I'd bet almost anything the Craft would have sold out. Same reason why the MoFi Folk Singer didn't sell out very quickly (I think you can still get it at retail or below). If AP comes out and says "we aren't repressing Relaxin", I'd bet we would see a spike in sales for the One Step (which sounds great by the way).

I don't see that Patricia Barber selling out because...well...it's Patricia Barber. I love Impex's work but their curation is truly puzzling. They do cool stuff like Kenny Dorham's Matador and some Three Blind Mice titles but then seem to do all of Patricia Barber's discography as expensive one steps that don't sell.

Some of these aren't selling out quickly because of the title choices, pure and simple. Whether it's titles that don't benefit from the one step process, or titles that already have tons of AAA reissues out there (and ones that are substantially cheaper). People are tired of seeing the same uninspired titles over and over and over again.

The MoFi one steps may have trouble selling because of the digital step now. They have already had trouble selling because of the title selections and flippers aren't buying them as much because resale on the last bunch have all been pretty bad. I think nearly everything from Paul Simon onwards can be purchased for retail or less. Saw someone selling the Paul Simon one step for $70 on the hoffman classifieds last week.

If companies put out great titles as AAA one steps, they will sell out. A&R is more to blame, IMO, than people not being interested in the one step process.

💥💥BoomBoom Alert💥💥

I’m sure this one has been mentioned here before, but wow, what an amazing pressing. Leonard Cohen’s voice couldn’t be any more present, or crystal clear. Every acoustic album should sound like this.

If you see any other Sundazed Cohens, they are worth buying. I have mentioned it in the past, but quite a few seem to have been recut by KG.

I don't think that you can tell until you open it, but I have gotten the above two in the past year from shops and both had KG in the runouts. Songs From A Room was $9.99 at newbury comics. Probably digital sourcing, but they sound excellent.

Strongly disagree on the one step "bubble" and it kinda ignores all context surrounding some of these releases.

Relaxin didn't sell out because AP is repressing their $40 AAA version at some point. If the AP wasn't coming out, I'd bet almost anything the Craft would have sold out. Same reason why the MoFi Folk Singer didn't sell out very quickly (I think you can still get it at retail or below). If AP comes out and says "we aren't repressing Relaxin", I'd bet we would see a spike in sales for the One Step (which sounds great by the way).

I don't see that Patricia Barber selling out because...well...it's Patricia Barber. I love Impex's work but their curation is truly puzzling. They do cool stuff like Kenny Dorham's Matador and some Three Blind Mice titles but then seem to do all of Patricia Barber's discography as expensive one steps that don't sell.

Some of these aren't selling out quickly because of the title choices, pure and simple. Whether it's titles that don't benefit from the one step process, or titles that already have tons of AAA reissues out there (and ones that are substantially cheaper). People are tired of seeing the same uninspired titles over and over and over again.

The MoFi one steps may have trouble selling because of the digital step now. They have already had trouble selling because of the title selections and flippers aren't buying them as much because resale on the last bunch have all been pretty bad. I think nearly everything from Paul Simon onwards can be purchased for retail or less. Saw someone selling the Paul Simon one step for $70 on the hoffman classifieds last week.

If companies put out great titles as AAA one steps, they will sell out. A&R is more to blame, IMO, than people not being interested in the one step process.
We'll see I guess.
This Thriller release will be a good sample for a market test.

Mainly the production qtys of one steps are going up while the demand doesn't seem to be following.
I don't think the AP Relaxin had anything to do with sales but it's so subjective no one really knows for sure.

Now, older releases are off the table because just about everything that is no longer in production will hold the market pricing.
Rare is rare and people fork out money for it.

I'll be honest.
I can't tell the difference between a really well mastered BNC that is on a "quality" pressing (free from defects) vs an expensive 1 step.
There's not enough there to say OMG. You can totally tell this is a one step. It sounds 5x better.
Of course different titles and yadda yadda.
I think more people are seeing it but there will always be the buyers out there..

Hoffman told his base that one steps are a waste of money.
Talk about the air being sucked out of the room. Haha

Outside of the current One-Step debacle, MoFi was getting greedy, meaning, everyone glommed on to the One-Steps, it wasn't just "audiophiles" anymore, they cracked mainstream so to speak. They. MoFi, also glommed on to that and started slating all these One-Step releases. One-Steps, again, before all the hu-ha, were special because they came out "every so often" and not in huge qty.

I own 2 One-Steps, one that is almost certainly digital and I knew that going in, got it at an acceptable price and I'm happy with it because it's one of my all time favorite albums...............and it sound amazing. MoFi could have started weening the public into the digital chain, but they knew damn well that AAA was THE selling point on One-Steps.

They could have, with the announcement of the VH catalog, stated something to the effect of "with changing times and lack of availability of original tapes, we've made the decision to introduce a digital aspect to our One-Step process to insure the best quality sound on vinyl", then go through the whole "why", even with a digital step, it's the best possible sound on vinyl and why it differs from CD's, SACDs and streaming.

They fucked up, they didn't give their customer base the respect they deserved and just looked at them as rabid consumers. I've never felt the audible difference was there, based on price, between the OMR's and One-Steps, but that also begs the question of what consumers are playing these albums on. I still contend that if you have an entry level system, you're not getting the cost back in what you're hearing when purchasing a One-Step, yes, it will sound great, but your only getting a percentage of the quality built in, so to speak.............and that's a completely different can of worms ;)

All that said, I've leaned towards Acoustic Sound and other companies for AAA pressings, if for no other reason than "bang for your buck" when it comes to pricing. Even then, it has to be a real "want" to plop down $60 on an album for me know a days.

Last edited:
Back