Definitive Audiophile pressings

QRP is not taking any pressing orders outside of their own products right now. So they are pressing massive amounts of AP albums, the UHQRs and I think they are doing the Acoustic Sounds reissue series still. The APs in general have been having lots of restocks every week because of this.
Yeah, I am not rushing out to buy the restocked APs right now. Lush Life would be nice when it pops up again.

Who's in?? Includes
  • A "How To Caress your MASTERCUT” step by step tutorial (this is not a joke but in reality it problem will be funny)

So it appears the SD UHQR was not only not ready for prime time, it may not even be a reality.
I think it’s a reality, but was listed as an error. I think it had a catalog number of 12 or something as part of the 45 series. I think there’s only been 5/6 total so far, so I think they jumped the gun. Maybe the other SD albums are in between?

I think it’s a reality, but was listed as an error. I think it had a catalog number of 12 or something as part of the 45 series. I think there’s only been 5/6 total so far, so I think they jumped the gun. Maybe the other SD albums are in between?
So it's going to be awhile... almost wonder if it was intentional to see the internet base reaction. Sounds odd but it got a lot of quick market feedback for no cost.

So it's going to be awhile... almost wonder if it was intentional to see the internet base reaction. Sounds odd but it got a lot of quick market feedback for no cost.
AS is waiting until all of the copies are pressed before listing it officially. They did this with the last Hendrix UHQR as well. Somebody made the listing public by accident it seems

AS is waiting until all of the copies are pressed before listing it officially. They did this with the last Hendrix UHQR as well. Somebody made the listing public by accident it seems
Hear me out.
Before sinking $2M+ into a project for an album that doesn't really light up VCs, wouldn't it be wise to put a feeler out there and get some feedback? Makes sense to me but it could have been an error with the website designer too.

Hear me out.
Before sinking $2M+ into a project for an album that doesn't really light up VCs, wouldn't it be wise to put a feeler out there and get some feedback? Makes sense to me but it could have been an error with the website designer too.
AS isn’t spending $2 million on these haha. And this kind of error happens all the time on the AS site. They aren’t used to internet sleuths combing their site for every new release. Same thing happened with the other steely Dan releases they did. Product page launched early, then the PR statement and preorders went live later.

I’m not gonna go tinfoil hat on this one. They seem to have the rights to the full Steely Dan catalogue. They aren’t going to put a fake product announcement out, see how excited people are then can it or expedite it. These are likely very far in production already.

AS isn’t spending $2 million on these haha. And this kind of error happens all the time on the AS site. They aren’t used to internet sleuths combing their site for every new release. Same thing happened with the other steely Dan releases they did. Product page launched early, then the PR statement and preorders went live later.

I’m not gonna go tinfoil hat on this one. They seem to have the rights to the full Steely Dan catalogue. They aren’t going to put a fake product announcement out, see how excited people are then can it or expedite it. These are likely very far in production already.
How do you know how much they cost?
Sorry but you speak in a lot of absolutes like they aren’t taking anymore orders at QRP.

Are you talking to Chad or where do you have such confident information? 😉

And if they are making more than $50 a record, people are getting scammed more than I ever imagined 🙄

I simply took $100× 20,000 = $2M

And if they are making more than $50 a record, people are getting scammed more than I ever imagined 🙄

I simply took $100× 20,000 = $2M
I would be extremely surprised if they aren't making more than $50 a record.

Maybe it's gone up a bit in the last couple years but when you look at pricing for more "normal" pressing plants it was always well under $10 per album including jackets. Sure add on shipping and everything an i think small pressings shouldn't be much over $10-12 per. I don't care what they are throwing in their magic vinyl mixture, it doesn't increase costs 10x. Sure licensing matters, but how can they keep pressing their normal editions at lower prices if that is a huge percentage.

I'm sure it's somewhere in between those values but I'd put my money on it being much farther away from $100.

Last edited:
How do you know how much they cost?
Sorry but you speak in a lot of absolutes like they aren’t taking anymore orders at QRP.

Are you talking to Chad or where do you have such confident information? 😉
They aren’t costing $100+ per record to make…and @dhodo is right. Records were costing around $10 to make with jackets not too long ago. Prices have definitely risen, but no way it costs an extra $90 per unit for boxes and clarity vinyl. And they are pressing the records themselves so no markup on costs…

And it’s well-known that QRP stopped taking orders from other labels for the time being. It’s why VMP stopped using them for classics and other labels stopped using them too. I believe Chad even said it one of his many videos. They are focusing on pressing all their own stuff for now.

I would be extremely surprised if they aren't making more than $50 a record.

Maybe it's gone up a bit in the last couple years but when you look at pricing for more "normal" pressing plants it was always well under $10 per album including jackets. I don't care what they are throwing in their magic vinyl mixture, it doesn't increase costs 10x. Sure licensing matters, but how can they keep pressing their normal editions at lower prices if that is a huge percentage.
Nobody here really knows so it's not value added to guess. I was just basing a calculation to estimate how much they would likely invest in such a project. Whether it's $1M or $2M, it is substantial for a small business and personal opinion, this release is dicey while also raising the U/P to $150. Going blindly into production would be a large risk.

Maybe they already did focus groups or other marketing research....

Nobody here really knows so it's not value added to guess. I was just basing a calculation to estimate how much they would likely invest in such a project. Whether it's $1M or $2M, it is substantial for a small business and personal opinion, this release is dicey while also raising the U/P to $150. Going blindly into production would be a large risk.

Maybe they already did focus groups or other marketing research....
The 1LP UHQRs are $125 now. Not shocked the 2LPs are $150 based on that alone.

you’re right that I don’t know the exact cost. but I believe wholesale price on the 2LP one steps is around $80 (that’s what one of my locals told me). So cost to make is gonna be way less than that.

I guess we’ll see when the records come out and how long it takes. I really doubt that it was some focus group. AS has tons of their own market research in the form of their store. They sold out 20k copies of Kind of Blue and are low stock on Hendrix.

Back