Definitive Audiophile pressings

Nobody here really knows so it's not value added to guess. I was just basing a calculation to estimate how much they would likely invest in such a project. Whether it's $1M or $2M, it is substantial for a small business and personal opinion, this release is dicey while also raising the U/P to $150. Going blindly into production would be a large risk.

Maybe they already did focus groups or other marketing research....
I understand, I'm just pointing it out because it really seems like people have forgotten how much vinyl manufacturing costs in our days of $50 GZ DMM vinyl and $150 retail audiophile albums. Ten years ago (ish) people were mad at Music Matters for raising prices to $40 from $35. Those are still regarded as incredible pressings and nobody was/is really complaining about the noise floor, you know? 🤷🏼‍♂️

AYE and KOB are two of the 10 ten albums of all-time. KL is even getting dismissed by Steely Dan fans. Who even knows actual status or when it will actually hit.

They aren’t costing $100+ per record to make…and @dhodo is right. Records were costing around $10 to make with jackets not too long ago. Prices have definitely risen, but no way it costs an extra $90 per unit for boxes and clarity vinyl. And they are pressing the records themselves so no markup on costs…

And it’s well-known that QRP stopped taking orders from other labels for the time being. It’s why VMP stopped using them for classics and other labels stopped using them too. I believe Chad even said it one of his many videos. They are focusing on pressing all their own stuff for now.
Just to follow up on my bad memory of seeing prices broken down, GZ currently has a price of about $2.75 per album for 12" gatefolds if you buy a thousand listed on their site. I can't remember how much I've seen a shipping quote for in the past though. To be fair, they aren't even taking new orders through that page at the moment, so other newer smaller plants may be able to demand premiums for sooner availability, no idea.

I understand, I'm just pointing it out because it really seems like people have forgotten how much vinyl manufacturing costs in our days of $50 GZ DMM vinyl and $150 retail audiophile albums. Ten years ago (ish) people were mad at Music Matters for raising prices to $40 from $35. Those are still regarded as incredible pressings and nobody was/is really complaining about the noise floor, you know? 🤷🏼‍♂️
Just a few years ago VMP was selling QRP pressed records with Stoughton jackets for $23 or something and turning a big profit. And they didn’t do any of the production themselves so every step of the way was marked up in price.

Chad’s very smart and has been a shrewd businessman over the years. Opening QRP years ago was extremely smart and now he controls nearly every aspect of production except licensing and jackets. And for stuff like the prestige titles he isn’t even selling wholesale! Just direct to customer. He’s not even paying for lacquer cuts on a lot of stuff since he can use classic records plates in some cases. Can’t imagine how much money he is making. He’s also invested a lot in his own company over the years.

AYE and KOB are two of the 10 ten albums of all-time. KL is even getting dismissed by Steely Dan fans. Who even knows actual status or when it will actually hit.
We’ll find out soon enough I suppose! But I think it’s fair to say that the 2LP UHQRs will be $150 now regardless of the title. They won’t be the same price as the 1LP UHQRs, which are $125. When they first said they were doing the UHQR 45 for KoB I could have sworn the price mentioned was cheaper, but since then he raised the price of the 1LP to $125…

While I'm sick and tired of the conversation, I love how they're asking the "tough" questions.......................why didn't you disclose this to the consumer 🙄

While I'm sick and tired of the conversation, I love how they're asking the "tough" questions.......................why didn't you disclose this to the consumer 🙄

They need to send Mikeowneroftheingrooveinphoenixarizona back for some more tough questions.

09dcde34-a233-4928-9a76-4f60b656f861_text.gif

If you watched the WP YT with 45vapingmike, he was very against online/email interviews. Some of the true journalism he represents is making fools of the hype hifi writers.

Just a few years ago VMP was selling QRP pressed records with Stoughton jackets for $23 or something and turning a big profit. And they didn’t do any of the production themselves so every step of the way was marked up in price.

Chad’s very smart and has been a shrewd businessman over the years. Opening QRP years ago was extremely smart and now he controls nearly every aspect of production except licensing and jackets. And for stuff like the prestige titles he isn’t even selling wholesale! Just direct to customer. He’s not even paying for lacquer cuts on a lot of stuff since he can use classic records plates in some cases. Can’t imagine how much money he is making. He’s also invested a lot in his own company over the years.
Oh I totally see how shrewd this guy is. That was part of my head scratching.

I do want to see AP successful. The product is really good. Just like BN.
My 1970 ST KOB is hauntingly good. I'm not going for the 45.

LOL. Unlike In The Groove Mike, this was a set of emailed questions and replies, almost certainly screened my MD's PR consultant.

Real journalism in action, just like Fremer likes it.

Those professionals really get tough, but I prefer the In the Groove video.

These AS Blue Notes appear to be old stock. Still serialized with the old inserts and a post card to win a free pressing.

View attachment 148527View attachment 148528View attachment 148530View attachment 148532View attachment 148533
Make sure you check those AcousTech LPs. I believe they were pressed a long time ago at RTI, and come in pinkish-colored poly sleeves. Those sleeves have been known to off-gas onto the record overtime. I picked up an old Grant Green AcousTech title and the record had a film on it. Acoustic Sounds replaced it, but just want to give you a heads up in case you havent listened/inspected all the albums you purchased.

Make sure you check those AcousTech LPs. I believe they were pressed a long time ago at RTI, and come in pinkish-colored poly sleeves. Those sleeves have been known to off-gas onto the record overtime. I picked up an old Grant Green AcousTech title and the record had a film on it. Acoustic Sounds replaced it, but just want to give you a heads up in case you havent listened/inspected all the albums you purchased.
Appreciate the heads up.
Only one of them had the pink poly. Looks ok but I always chunk them for the mofi knock offs I buy.
Played through all and only one defect, which AS is replacing.
Did you get a Soul Samba?

Appreciate the heads up.
Only one of them had the pink poly. Looks ok but I always chunk them for the mofi knock offs I buy.
Played through all and only one defect, which AS is replacing.
Did you get a Soul Samba?
Yes, I did. Sounds really good! Only issue was side B is bowled. Plays just fine so not gonna hassle customer service about it.

Back