Political Discussion

He's of course going to drop out and endorse Trump. I actually feel that works against Trump because I feel the people who want to vote 3rd party aren't going back to Trump or Kamala even if Brainworms drops out. I bet they'd look at Jill Stein or just stay home.
I watched something, possibly a Meadows clip, about RFK’s biggest donor being the same as Trump’s and they are using him to shave from undecided voters in swing states to ensure a Trump victory.

John Oliver's main story was all about RFK Jr.

I didn't know much about RFK other than I thought he was a conservative and has spewed a few conspiracy conspiracies.

Well, what an understatement that was. What a twat this guy is.

Anyways, I think the main reason John Oliver's main story was about RFK. And it was so people knew exactly who this guy is. RFK is currently polling at between 6 and 7 points, enough to hand the election in key swing states to Trump. Basically another Al Gore and Ralf Nader scenario.

What I don't understand is, why do these third party candidates always disproportionately hurt the Democrats? Is it because republicans are devout republicans and their vote is already locked in, and only the independents and some democrats my vote for the third party candidates if they are not happy with the choice the democrats offer up?

What I don't understand is, why do these third party candidates always disproportionately hurt the Democrats? Is it because republicans are devout republicans and their vote is already locked in, and only the independents and some democrats my vote for the third party candidates if they are not happy with the choice the democrats offer up?
They don't. Ross Perot almost singlehandedly cost Bush reelection in 92. I know Oliver's thing is dooming, but RFK jr is more conservative than anyone in that election was, so I don't see how his presence wouldn't be a boon for dems. Would also be fine with him fucking off, tho.

I think the issue is people don't know he's conservatives. John Oliver showed a lot of interviews with different people as to why the would vote for him, and it just proves that these people really no little to nothing about him.

They just know the name Kennedy, or they have heard sound bites they have heard about him supporting student loan forgiveness, or locking in mortgage rates at 3% for first time home buyers. All things that sound good to liberals if they don't know anything about him.

I think the issue is people don't know he's conservatives. John Oliver showed a lot of interviews with different people as to why the would vote for him, and it just proves that these people really no little to nothing about him.

They just know the name Kennedy, or they have heard sound bites they have heard about him supporting student loan forgiveness, or locking in mortgage rates at 3% for first time home buyers. All things that sound good to liberals if they don't know anything about him.
Most know he is super anti-vax though and almost everyone I know that is anti-vax is pro-Trump. The is a small subset of organic/granola raw milk yoga mom’s that align pretty close to Kennedy on environmental policy and vaccine policy the ones responsible for the rise of Mumps and Measles in west coast states over the past decade. They wouldn’t vote for Harris or Trump if Kennedy drops out, they would probably vote for Jill Stein (who is one of them). Mostly though, I think Kennedy hurts Trump more than Harris and Trump knows this. That is why he was negotiating with Tucker Carlson to drop out and endorse Trump.

Global stock market getting hammered today on the jobs report. Japan took it rough overnight, but Nvidia is down about 10% already.

Edit: Also seems more than a little like insider knowledge that Buffet sold half his stake in Apple a couple days ago...
I saw that. Probably just a market correction due to the July jobs numbers and the market being pissy about having to wait until September for interest rate reductions. I wouldn’t be surprised if it swings hard back the other way shortly as investors try to capitalize on the downturn. The market has been cooking all year so this would be a good time to buy if they think rate cuts are on the horizon.

I saw that. Probably just a market correction due to the July jobs numbers and the market being pissy about having to wait until September for interest rate reductions. I wouldn’t be surprised if it swings hard back the other way shortly as investors try to capitalize on the downturn. The market has been cooking all year so this would be a good time to buy if they think rate cuts are on the horizon.
I tend to agree. Just funny how quickly the financial media goes from everything is fine to recession fears are real now! Bunch of jack asses.

That RFK video where he explains to Roseanne Barr what happened with the bear is wild on so many levels. I struggle to believe anyone who opted or is still opting for him has actually seen him speak.

As someone who thought the world of his father in terms of politicians from everything I have read and seen about him, RFK Jr is not well.

USA Today is reporting that three sources have informed them that it's down to Walz or Shapiro for VP. One who will definitely alienate part of the Democratic coalition and one who may alienate some big dollar donors.

The cynic in me, after years of the Democrats abuse, thinks this is a foregone conclusion, but maybe Harris will buck the trend and try to keep the grassroots motivated.

For how unimportant the VP spot historically is, I feel like she should throw us a bone.

USA Today is reporting that three sources have informed them that it's down to Walz or Shapiro for VP. One who will definitely alienate part of the Democratic coalition and one who may alienate some big dollar donors.

The cynic in me, after years of the Democrats abuse, thinks this is a foregone conclusion, but maybe Harris will buck the trend and try to keep the grassroots motivated.

For how unimportant the VP spot historically is, I feel like she should throw us a bone.
There was a good interview with Walz in the NYT Podcast a few days ago…

I'm ready to get my heart broken and Shapiro be the nominee. It's the safe play to pull in PA. Sure, it's going to alienate some but if the point is winning then PA does that. I love Walz and he has so much upside but I bet every model shows Shapiro gets you to 270 a lot easier. Or this is all a smoke screen and Beshear is the pick.
The more I learn about Walz, the more I like him. (Had never even heard of him until last month) The more I hear about Shapiro, the more I hope he isn't her pick. That said, if it gets her to 270 easier, I'm all for him.

Back